AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a media server built around a 4220 case, but I have replaced the bank of four delta screamers with 3 Scythe slipstream 120's and the back panel exhaust fans with Noctua NF-R8's. Naturally, the total noise from the box has been reduced to a whisper, but I did notice my HD temps creeping up since the exhange. Using Hard Disk Sentinel I am getting temps mostly in the 34-40 range. However, in the warmer August months (no A/C downstairs in the daylight basement, ambient temp maybe 75F) the temps of a few drives are approaching 46-47 at idle. There really isn't much of a load difference, since all the server does is stream a BD or DVD once in a while at the most.

I tried to do some searching but all I found was a lot of outdated threads (2+ years) and a wide variety of answers. My Server is filled primarily with Hitachi, WD, and Samsung 2TB drives. There are a couple of WD 1TB blacks in there, but everything else is low speed. The only reason I ask about this is that the default HD temp color in Hard Disk Sentinel turns from green to yellow somewhere around 45 degrees, and it gave me pause. I can certainly tolerate a little more noise if it means less risk of failure, or are these temps fine? Thanks for any info.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.