AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on purchasing a Sony kdl 46w4100 at circuit city..but i was worried that with the possible closing i'd be out of luck?

Would you guys worry...or just buy the tv there?

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
What does purchasing a Sony product that is warrantied by Sony from Circuit City have you worrying about? Who cares if they go out of business? The warranty is from Sony, not Circuit City. Now if you were talking about buying an extended warranty from CC, then I would worry. Better to buy a MACK warranty.

Best,

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMRocky /forum/post/15555838

I was planning on purchasing a Sony kdl 46w4100 at circuit city..but i was worried that with the possible closing i'd be out of luck?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMRocky /forum/post/15555838

I bought both my Sony XBR4's there. Hopefully, I will buy my XBR8 there. I purchase the extended warranty from the Sonystyle website. $249 for a 5 year warranty, best deal around.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Even if you buy the Circuit City extended warranty, it has absolutely nothing to do with Circuit City. They don't own the warranty. They use a 3rd party warranty company. I think I read where it might even be the same company that Best Buy, Frys, or one of them uses. Can't remember. Either way, the extended warranty isn't related to best buy. Same with extended warranties offered by using your credit card. Your bank doesn't actually handle the warranties. They use a 3rd party. later... mike....

·
Registered
866 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned about would be if you werent satisfied with your purchase and they went out of business you wouldnt be able to return. If they went out a week after purchase you wouldnt have the choice to return you would have to deal with manufacturer unless you return was during that week.

I think we will get a better idea where cc stands by friday. Other than I see no problems. There should actually be some very good deals if they do go under.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Get another local electronic store to price match if buying at CC makes you nervous!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Since we are in discussion of CC, I hear that they are in talks with a couple of companies to buy them out. And if none transpired by the 16th of this month, they will continue with the liquidation. Rumors or not, I am going to wait until Friday for the outcome. If they liquidate, I won't be waiting for the new Pioneer VSX-1019AH on April. I may end up getting me a Denon AVR-889 once the price is right!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I've heard a report that since they filed for Chapter 11, their sells have dropped 50%. I guess some people just stay away from their stores!

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 /forum/post/15557104

I've heard a report that since they filed for Chapter 11, their sells have dropped 50%. I guess some people just stay away from their stores!

If I was going to buy somewhere that wasn't online(which I don't), I would choose Circuit City once they start liquidating. They will have some killer deals and I don't see how any problem would get in the way. The 1 year warranty through Samsung is what I am using already, but the warranties are third party either way. Even if Circuit City completely implodes and every employee there disappears off the face of the planet, the warranty is still valid, especially my Samsung one.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDom /forum/post/15557058

Since we are in discussion of CC, I hear that they are in talks with a couple of companies to buy them out. And if none transpired by the 16th of this month, they will continue with the liquidation. Rumors or not, I am going to wait until Friday for the outcome. If they liquidate, I won't be waiting for the new Pioneer VSX-1019AH on April. I may end up getting me a Denon AVR-889 once the price is right!
http://newsroom.circuitcity.com/rele...leaseID=358471

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat /forum/post/15557260

If I was going to buy somewhere that wasn't online(which I don't), I would choose Circuit City once they start liquidating. They will have some killer deals and I don't see how any problem would get in the way. The 1 year warranty through Samsung is what I am using already, but the warranties are third party either way. Even if Circuit City completely implodes and every employee there disappears off the face of the planet, the warranty is still valid, especially my Samsung one.

Yeah, luckily they never sold Monster warranties.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 /forum/post/15557104

That's really too bad about CC, I really like them. A much better store than BB. Competition is always better for the consumer. Without CC, BB will even be more arrogant than they are now. The irony about the 50% sales drop is if people would support them, they would be ablr to remain open. On the other hand, I am acutely aware of the current economic crisis.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat /forum/post/15557260

When the first Circuit city stores were closed, there was a story done here in DC where they quoted a CC (soon to be former) employee and they said that the liquidators determine the prices. That's why they can offer high discounts because the prices are jacked up higher, so the liquidators can make a profit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm sure you guys already know of this, but it's finalized! CC WILL LIQUIDATE!!! That means... I don't wait for the new Pioneer VSX-1019AH any longer! Instead, I'm looking to get the Denon AVR 789 or 889! YES! Just a matter of when the liquidation process starts and how much off. Should I wait when it drops to 40%? Just to be safe?

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentenstash /forum/post/15559018

When the first Circuit city stores were closed, there was a story done here in DC where they quoted a CC (soon to be former) employee and they said that the liquidators determine the prices. That's why they can offer high discounts because the prices are jacked up higher, so the liquidators can make a profit.

Yea, that is what sucks about it. When they first announced last year that just some of the stores were closing, the one in Nashville - Hickory Hollow / Antioch area, was one of the ones that was being closed. Since I go by there on my way home everyday, I stopped in there a few times. They had a big sign out front saying "Everything 10% off". The problem was, they had jacked all of the prices to full retail. Taking 10% was still a higher price than I could walk next door to Best Buy, or across the street to HH Gregg and buy the same item any day of the week.

On top of that, there were maybe about 4 employees total in the store, so you could not get anyone to help you with anything. It was pathetic. I was going to buy a Zenith Converter Box there, but when the lady at the front at the Customer Support counter saw that I had a coupon, she said I would have to get someone on the floor to help me. I had already tried to get someone on the floor but couldn't find anyone! This lady was on the phone and acted annoyed at me, so after standing there about 30 seconds, I slammed the Zenith box on the counter and said "I'm out of here. This is not worth it."

So, I decided I would never go back in that store again. Of course, if I worked somewhere and just found out I was losing my job, I might have been as unconcerned as that lady was. If it was not for the fact that they had a "security guy" standing near the door like they always do, you could have walked out with anything you wanted. I don't think the employees would have cared.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDom /forum/post/15571482

I'm sure you guys already know of this, but it's finalized! CC WILL LIQUIDATE!!! That means... I don't wait for the new Pioneer VSX-1019AH any longer! Instead, I'm looking to get the Denon AVR 789 or 889! YES! Just a matter of when the liquidation process starts and how much off. Should I wait when it drops to 40%? Just to be safe?

buying at liquidation sales is a crap shoot.

remember -- you will not be buying from circuit city. you are buying from the liquidator, who is not an agent that the store has brought in, the liquidator has bought the assets and is the seller of all the stuff and some they bring in from outside as well. as is. no returns.

the discounts always sound terrific, until you realize the base price they use has nothing to do with reality.

careful...

TVbc

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp /forum/post/15556013

Even if you buy the Circuit City extended warranty, it has absolutely nothing to do with Circuit City. They don't own the warranty. They use a 3rd party warranty company. I think I read where it might even be the same company that Best Buy, Frys, or one of them uses. Can't remember. Either way, the extended warranty isn't related to best buy. Same with extended warranties offered by using your credit card. Your bank doesn't actually handle the warranties. They use a 3rd party. later... mike....

It has everything to do with CC. Their extended warranty work is done by CC service center. I just called them and you can no longer get a hold of anyone. There is only a message saying that due to closing no new warranty items will be accepted and that current items will be returned whether they have been fixed or not.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/15572922

remember -- you will not be buying from circuit city. you are buying from the liquidator, who is not an agent that the store has brought in, the liquidator has bought the assets and is the seller of all the stuff and some they bring in from outside as well. as is. no returns.

the discounts always sound terrific, until you realize the base price they use has nothing to do with reality.

careful...

TVbc

Well said!

Chris

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/15572922

careful...

TVbc

Retail price of the 789 is $599. There is no way they're going any higher than that. If they do, then I have the Denon website to back me up on it. Then I can calculate from that price point. I did the same thing when Good Guys shut down. They said "this" price with the 40% off (at the time I went to buy I think a camcoder). I calculated and found the flaw. So I went and grabbed the retail price from Canon on-line and calculated from there. They had to give it to me because their mark up retail was $100 more than the original retail.

Let's see what they have in store for me. If they mark up that Denon over $599, I'll show them a thing or two.
And I'm going to make sure that they give me a nicely-unpacked box.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts