AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just added another TV to my apt and needed to add another splitter. just wanted some feedback to know if I did this correctly or if I should have used something else. Heres what I got now :

1 main cable line into my apt. That line is split with a two way splitter. Each side of that split are also split with a two way splitter. One side is split for SD basic cable use only on 2 tvs and the other side is split for HDcable and modem.

So I have a total of three 2 way splitters (5-1000Mhz) connected to one line. my question is would I be better off with just using a 4way splitter ? I only did it this way because I had an extra 2way laying around. Figured why buy a 4way if I dont need it. Everything seems fine. I didnt notice any PQ differnce after doing this.

Basicially should I be using a 4 way instead of how I currently have this rigged ? Or would a 4way hurt my signal worse ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you don't notice any PQ difference then you have enough signal coming in to handle the drop from the splitters. The loss in the splitters is actually about the same with a 4-way vs. the combo of 2 ways that you have. The advantage of the 4-way is a neater installation and elimination of 2 extra cables/4 extra F connectors which are potential sources of noise and connector degradation long term. A 4-way doesn't cost much (unless you go the Monster route) but if what you have works why mess with it - unless you have nothing else to do!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by agb2529 /forum/post/0

If you don't notice any PQ difference then you have enough signal coming in to handle the drop from the splitters. The loss in the splitters is actually about the same with a 4-way vs. the combo of 2 ways that you have. The advantage of the 4-way is a neater installation and elimination of 2 extra cables/4 extra F connectors which are potential sources of noise and connector degradation long term. A 4-way doesn't cost much (unless you go the Monster route) but if what you have works why mess with it - unless you have nothing else to do!

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing something GROSSLY wrong here. Works for me so ill leave it alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.