AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always gone by the "stop at 85%" rule when it comes to my hard drives, but started wondering recently if it is necessary or not with my external media drives. My external drives are mainly for blu ray playback, so would I experience any playback issues (or any for that matter) if I filled the media drives to capacity?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not in your case. The 10 percent rule is for the defraging of smaller files. If your media drives are housing large blu-ray iso's then it won't matter if you save the 10% or not. I fill my 2tb greens to the max (between 8-20 gb left on each atm) and I don't notice any difference in speed or quality.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I leave at least the size of my largest file on the drive available... so that means roughly 40-50GB I leave free. May not be necessary... just peace of mind I guess.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
85% is about 300gig. I think you should change from the % rule to a min-free space rule. If you leave say around 20gig to 40gig you have room for additions such as movie meta-data.

to

You will not have playback issues. You might have an issue if you decide to re-organize your media at later date.

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.