AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a brooklyn loft building with about 20 units in it. There is a school across the street and apartment buildings on either side...

So there will be 20-30 wifi units, everyones cell phones and any other wireless devices they are using, etc etc. i've heard interference can be a major issue so I'm worried that, especially in this context, I'll have issues connecting my receiver to a ceiling mounted projector about 30 feet away. That being said, there will be no walls or any sort of physical obstruction in the way so at least there's that.

I haven't used a wireless hdmi set-up before... Should I be wary of using a wireless HDMI set-up in a setting with this much varied interference? Should I just stick to a longer 30 or so foot hdmi cable?

And then, either way, any recommendations on whichever you think is best (wireless hdmi transmitters or longer hdmi cables) for under $300?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
More knowledgeable folks will chime in I'm sure but the last I read, wireless HDMI is dicey at best. Why can't you run an HDMI cable, carefully installed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rent my apartment so I don't want to send the time/money to run cable in it and it'd be nice to be able to take whatever I'm using with me when I move again and a wireless HDMI system would go along with that. And the ceilings are 18 feet so it'll take more cable (to the point where that becomes an issue in itself) than a normal space.

That being said, if it doesn't work seamlessly then it's worthless so that's obviously the priority. Anyone have an opinion on the best HDMI cables with a good price/length ratio?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Wireless HD can be a real challenge no matter where you live.

Trial and error may find a solution which works for you!

HDMI over HDBT using a single Solid Core CAT6 plus an HDMI over HDBT Extender is in a different league in terms of reliability and interoperability and with PoC (power over cable) is relatively simple to install.

https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

Joe

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm guessing you're not concerned about this any more, but I thought I'd post this for those coming across this thread. Regarding wifi interference, many wireless HDMI transmitters use WHDI, which is 5GHZ. As a result, I'd check if you have any 5GHz routers broadcasting in your building. I'm researching this right now, and used a wifi analyzer app on my phone to scan for 5GHz signals and saw a few in my building.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really old thread here but just to let you know: Yes 5Ghz Wifi can and does interfere with these devices. And whether a laptop is connected to the router or not ALSO matters.

We have had wireless HDMI for over a year now. Every once in a while we have a day where it just works really bad. Today, we took the laptop that was connected to our 5Ghz router and moved it out of the room, even though it was the laptop connecting to the apple TV we were watching on the wireless HDMI. Not that that particularly matters- the laptop just needs to see the router.

Things improved IMMEDIATELY. We still had dropouts, but that interference may have been coming from another room or apartment.

Sometimes our wireless HDMI decides to channel switch and can be dicey until it finds a channel it likes.

We got our device in 2020; it's 2022 now. We live in a place where you're not even allowed to put a nail in the wall to hang a picture so we take it easy with routing wires. If you're in the same situation, it's really challenging to fix this. Would be GREAT to hear how others fixed this. In general wiring the computer to ethernet makes the problem go away too.

Great thread on the topic; guys have the same router I do and... solved the problem by switching Wifi channels at 5Ghz. That works great if it's Your router but maybe not so great if it's your neigbhors.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Really old thread here but just to let you know: Yes 5Ghz Wifi can and does interfere with these devices. And whether a laptop is connected to the router or not ALSO matters.

We have had wireless HDMI for over a year now. Every once in a while we have a day where it just works really bad. Today, we took the laptop that was connected to our 5Ghz router and moved it out of the room, even though it was the laptop connecting to the apple TV we were watching on the wireless HDMI. Not that that particularly matters- the laptop just needs to see the router.

Things improved IMMEDIATELY. We still had dropouts, but that interference may have been coming from another room or apartment.

Sometimes our wireless HDMI decides to channel switch and can be dicey until it finds a channel it likes.

We got our device in 2020; it's 2022 now. We live in a place where you're not even allowed to put a nail in the wall to hang a picture so we take it easy with routing wires. If you're in the same situation, it's really challenging to fix this. Would be GREAT to hear how others fixed this. In general wiring the computer to ethernet makes the problem go away too.

Great thread on the topic; guys have the same router I do and... solved the problem by switching Wifi channels at 5Ghz. That works great if it's Your router but maybe not so great if it's your neigbhors.
There is a wireless HDMI technology that’s called “WirelessHD,” and that technology uses 60 GHz radio, and 5 GHz WiFi cannot interfere with it. But WirelessHD, in my tests, works well up to 1080p60 but not above that. It only works within one room, but that is its strength: 60 GHz radio cannot penetrate walls or glass or even water vapor, which means another 60 GHz WirelessHD radio nearby cannot interfere with yours.

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
There is a wireless HDMI technology that’s called “WirelessHD,” and that technology uses 60 GHz radio, and 5 GHz WiFi cannot interfere with it. But WirelessHD, in my tests, works well up to 1080p60 but not above that. It only works within one room, but that is its strength: 60 GHz radio cannot penetrate walls or glass or even water vapor, which means another 60 GHz WirelessHD radio nearby cannot interfere with yours.
Thanks for the update on WirelessHD. I was wondering if there were any improvements but it sounds like there's not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts