AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a brooklyn loft building with about 20 units in it. There is a school across the street and apartment buildings on either side...

So there will be 20-30 wifi units, everyones cell phones and any other wireless devices they are using, etc etc. i've heard interference can be a major issue so I'm worried that, especially in this context, I'll have issues connecting my receiver to a ceiling mounted projector about 30 feet away. That being said, there will be no walls or any sort of physical obstruction in the way so at least there's that.

I haven't used a wireless hdmi set-up before... Should I be wary of using a wireless HDMI set-up in a setting with this much varied interference? Should I just stick to a longer 30 or so foot hdmi cable?

And then, either way, any recommendations on whichever you think is best (wireless hdmi transmitters or longer hdmi cables) for under $300?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,725 Posts
More knowledgeable folks will chime in I'm sure but the last I read, wireless HDMI is dicey at best. Why can't you run an HDMI cable, carefully installed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rent my apartment so I don't want to send the time/money to run cable in it and it'd be nice to be able to take whatever I'm using with me when I move again and a wireless HDMI system would go along with that. And the ceilings are 18 feet so it'll take more cable (to the point where that becomes an issue in itself) than a normal space.

That being said, if it doesn't work seamlessly then it's worthless so that's obviously the priority. Anyone have an opinion on the best HDMI cables with a good price/length ratio?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Wireless HD can be a real challenge no matter where you live.

Trial and error may find a solution which works for you!

HDMI over HDBT using a single Solid Core CAT6 plus an HDMI over HDBT Extender is in a different league in terms of reliability and interoperability and with PoC (power over cable) is relatively simple to install.

https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

Joe

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm guessing you're not concerned about this any more, but I thought I'd post this for those coming across this thread. Regarding wifi interference, many wireless HDMI transmitters use WHDI, which is 5GHZ. As a result, I'd check if you have any 5GHz routers broadcasting in your building. I'm researching this right now, and used a wifi analyzer app on my phone to scan for 5GHz signals and saw a few in my building.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts