AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I got the HD all setup, it seems to be that quite a bit of the OTA programs are 4:3 with side black bar. Should I be worrying about burn-in from these black bar? My family watch about 3-4 hours of TV nightly. I am currently using HD100 with Pioneer SD-532HD. If so, how can I avoid it??

------------------

CC

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It depends. I've seen a 16:9 at the local Fry's with horrible burn-in. OTOH, I've had a 16:9 at my house for a year, watch about 75% 4:3, and don't see a hint of burn-in.

The difference? The 16:9 at Fry's was run 24x7 with contrast turned all the way up, in a fairly bright warehouse-type store.

At my house, the TV is downstairs in the home theater in the basement. The room doesn't get much light; and the general rule in our house is that the TV doesn't get turned on until after dark, anyway (usually lots more interesting things to do outside during the daytime). So, the contrast is run at about 25% and still provides a plenty bright picture. I alternate between black and gray bars when watching 4:3. I'm always on the lookout for the first hint of burn-in, but haven't seen any.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Carl... I have a plasma too (runco) and I'm paranoid as hell about burn in. You should definitely be concerned. In fact, I don't watch any 4:3 material on mine. I have a hd100 as well. This is what I do: I set the sony to 4:3, pan and scan... this way, my monitor takes the image and fills the screen... even the ota 4:3 stuff that's actually being broadcast in 16:9 (the networks attach black bars and send it out 16:9)... when I come to a high def broadcast I simply go into the menu and set the sony to 16:9.

BarryO is right... you should keep your contrast as low as possible to get a good picture.... no need to worry about brightness... you can set that as high as you want before the image starts looking washed out.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
215 Posts
No burn out problems with the new RCA 52 inch HDTV with LCoS display technology. LCoS should displace all over-27-inch CRT displays within two years.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There's never a guarantee you won't get burnin but you can vastly reduce the chances of it happening by turning your contrast to 40% or less! Use Avia or VE DVD to calibrate to the correct setting.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.