AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously. I was doing fine with my 360, and then GameStop comes with the "Turn in your PS2 and get $100 off routine", and suddenly my interest has turned back to it. My have every system bug is beginning to bite
. The only game that interests me right now is Resistance. Maybe the dragon game and Heavenly Sword. Metal Gear and FF doesn't do it for me. Well, maybe MG if it's awesome enough. The last couple of games in the series I lost interest in. Is it silly to spend $400 (I'm going in on the cheap side) for one game? I did it before with the XBox and Halo, and that worked out. I'm a little concearned about Sony's current situation in the game wars. So what do you say, guys? Any regrets? Should I wait?

Freddy C.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Yes.

There is no reason to wait.

You've got a lot to gain,.. esp if you can do the $400 thing. (There are coupons for $70 back on Blu Ray purchases included too.)

Aren't you at least a little interested in GT HD? It's free and I love it! The demo for F1 is really fun too. And the demo for Motorstorm and Genji and maybe even more stuff that I didn't bother to Download yet.

-Brian

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
No.

Unless that answer is considered trolling, in which case I change my answer to yes.

But really, If you already have the 360, I would wait for the PS3 until either (a) the price drops, (b) it has some good games, and/or (c) all of the inevitable bugs are worked out. The point being, there's no reason to get one right now if you already own a 360. If you didn't own a 360, then things would be a little different.

Of course, if you want a BD player at that price point then go ahead and get it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I did it specifically for blu-ray. If your going to do it for games and you own a 360 then I would say no until you see a game you can't live without.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you have a HD display, do it for blu-ray movies now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be getting a 56" JVC 1080P next month as a belated Christmas present to myself. I considered the blu-ray factor, but I was also planning on getting an Oppo upconverting DVD player as well. To be honest, the whole blu-ray/HD-DVD factor isn't that important to me. This will be a game system first. Of course, that'll change once I find out where Star Wars is going to end up

I played Motor Storm at Best Buy. Awesome game, and the graphics are insane! The other reason I wanted to upgrade to a PS3 is the wireless controller. With two 19 month old boys running around the house, wireless is a MUST.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
None of us can make that decision. You know what you're getting. If you want a group of folks to tell you yes so that you feel better about buying, then sure, go for it.

If all you could find on the XBOX to play was Halo, I'm not sure buying a new system at new prices is for you. Just an outsider's opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/0

None of us can make that decision. You know what you're getting. If you want a group of folks to tell you yes so that you feel better about buying, then sure, go for it.

If all you could find on the XBOX to play was Halo, I'm not sure buying a new system at new prices is for you. Just an outsider's opinion.

Actually, I wanted opinions. In the end, the decision is mine. I'm aware of that. And I don't need the whole "make me feel better about my purchase" bit. I know asking this question in the PS3 forum could skew the results, but considering this this AVS and not PS3 Fanboy, I figured the answers would be more unbiased. You all could care less what other people think; you purchased your systems for your own reasons: that's what I'd like to know. Does anyone have buyers remorse? In hindsight, would you have made the same decision?

The XBox was done when I was single, no dependents. Buying it for Halo was like when I bought the NES for Mario, the SNES for Act Raiser (yes, I actually liked the game). I'm a bit older, and have 3 more dependents than before, so my "impulsiveness" has been dampened a bit

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I would say it's crazy to buy the system for 1 game.

Would I buy it again right now? Probably not at the moment. I'd wait for more games and promotions.

Why not? Very limited number of games I'm interested in. I don't buy movies, so the BluRay player isn't a selling point to me. I occasionaly rent locally, but no one carries them in town that I know of. I don't watch enough to do any of the online places.

To be honest, I haven't turned on my PS3 since Dec 28th when my brother was over. He wanted to play some Resistance since he hadn't seen it yet. I already completed it.

Just my opinion at the moment. I'll buy plenty of games the next 4 or 5 years so I'm not worried. Plus, there's could be lots of other cool stuff (linux, etc.) coming.

Come this fall or Christmas you'll see promotions and giveaways that will probably equal or better the $100 off that's tempting you now. I'd say hold off.

Also, do you have time to play it? I barely have time to play games. I've been running through Rainbow 6 Vegas the last week or two. I rarely get more than 5-10 hours of gaming in a week.

I buy lots of new gadgets and toys. Many get turned around and sold off within a couple of months. I like gaming systems and getting the PS3 was a piece of cake at EB during their pre-sale. I know I'll play it in the future which is why I haven't sold it yet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm also doing fine with my 360, but I still bought a PS3. With all that there is to play on the 360, Plus Resistance online multiplayer and Blu-Ray movies there is plenty to get you by until more games for the PS3 comes along. I haven't even finished the single player of resistance yet cause I'm too busy playing it online. When I'm not playing that I'm playing RB6 online with friends from work. Still have 2 other games I've yet to finish on the 360 (COD3 and SC DA). Online multiplayer of both systems have me sidetracked from the single player modes that I don't need to buy any more games for a few months. Not that I won't

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy C /forum/post/0

I know asking this question in the PS3 forum could skew the results, but considering this this AVS and not PS3 Fanboy, I figured the answers would be more unbiased.

The gaming forums on AVS have come a long distance closer to fanboy over the past year or so since home theater became "tech" and "in vogue". Ages aren't listed but I'd be surprised if the average age of a poster hasn't slid down about 10 years. It's less home theater gaming and more recent general television purchaser who owns a console and found this site on google researching tvs.

Then again you poke around in the BR and HD-DVD forums and you wonder what is the deal with people in this world and their desire to form pathological loyalties to a damn storage format or game console.

Anyway - there's some good incentive to buy right now with those deals. A price drop may happen (already has to some degree in Japan) but likely not more than the incentive anyway and if it does drop it won't move again for a while. A BR player is never a bad thing to have especially since a new display is expected.

It's certainly not a necessity in life but as long as you aren't taking a big hit to your disposable income or taking it out of your kids' college funds I can't see this being a bad move. There will be more games soon and honestly, if you don't want it or get in some kind of need for cash, ebay will get you most of the investment back so it won't be a total loss.

I don't know anyone here who has unloaded it yet. Certainly everyone wants more games but it's brand new so it goes with the territory. People do all kinds of crazy hype and projections but honestly worst rock bottom case has got to still be 20-30% market share and last time I checked that netted some pretty good games over the life of a console (basically what GC and Xboc split last gen) so that's not a big stress (maybe for Sony's future prospects in consoles though depending on their plans). In the end it's up to you and sometimes a guy has to have some fun in life. It's just a matter of balancing that and deciding if this is your fun or not. You can't have fun all the time but if this is something you want - and like you said, that's all you.

My opinion anyway. Frankly my wife spends money like an embezzling crack addict so I don't agonize too much over semi-rationalizable purchases (although I only have 1 other dependent to your 3
).

·
Registered
924 Posts

Quote:
I did it specifically for blu-ray. If your going to do it for games and you own a 360 then I would say no until you see a game you can't live without.

I think it comes down to one thing and the above quote: If you like Sony's first/second party games, then buy a PS3. If you don't, and you like 360's first party games then keep it along with buying the AAA 3rd party multiplatform games.

I like Sony's first party games and I like BR so I chose with PS3.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
I've been using mostly for fantastic blu-ray movies. Favorite game is the motorstorm demo, absolutely awesome. Resistance is great as well as Tekken 5 DR. That said I don't think it would be a must have for me for games only until February with quite a few great looking games coming out then and in March.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB /forum/post/0

My opinion anyway. Frankly my wife spends money like an embezzling crack addict so I don't agonize too much over semi-rationalizable purchases (although I only have 1 other dependent to your 3
).

Our wives must be related
. I've allocated some money in Feb. for upgrades: new receiver, new tv, new remote, and maybe a PC to play with. The PC is optional, and with the trade-in deal, it's become VERY optional. My concern is that by the time there's a real price drop, it'll only be $50, and I'll miss out on this deal. I believe it's over 2/18, so I'm already cutting it pretty close. Let me ask this, and I know that I could probably find this on the forum, but since I have all of your attention: is there a restriction on the resolution via component for the PS3? Is it 1080p via HDMI only?

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:

Our wives must be related
. I've allocated some money in Feb. for upgrades: new receiver, new tv, new remote, and maybe a PC to play with. The PC is optional, and with the trade-in deal, it's become VERY optional. My concern is that by the time there's a real price drop, it'll only be $50, and I'll miss out on this deal. I believe it's over 2/18, so I'm already cutting it pretty close. Let me ask this, and I know that I could probably find this on the forum, but since I have all of your attention: is there a restriction on the resolution via component for the PS3? Is it 1080p via HDMI only?

why are you getting upconverting dvd player, when BD will always look much better, and it comes free with PS3? 1080p is HDMI only - but shouldnt new screen you are getting be HDMI anyway?

Resistance is fine game and multiplayer is really fun... Combine those two and PS3 is definitive purchase...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:

My concern is that by the time there's a real price drop, it'll only be $50, and I'll miss out on this deal. I believe it's over 2/18, so I'm already cutting it pretty close.

I'd also say if this is just a matter of getting a PS3 now vs. a bit later, definitely jump on it now. Even a full $100 retail price drop leaves you at the same point. If you are going to wait 3 years or write it off as passing fancy and never buy it that's a different story, but if this is coming down to timing within a 1-1.5 year time frame, I'd say do it. The chances of you losing out are virtually zero and there is time value of fun as well as time value of money.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Truthfully, after having beaten Resistance and playing it a bit online, I'm almost regretting my purchase. Resistance made my purchase worthwhile, but its over all too soon and now I sit and realize I have a 600 brick there doing nothing. Yeah, some of the demos are neat, but otherwise I have nothing else to do with the system. There is potential I suppose, but unless you're dying to just play one of the games that's out right now, I really don't see any reason to get a PS3 at this moment. I'd wait and buy it when more worthwhile games come out or a price drop occurs.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

why are you getting upconverting dvd player, when BD will always look much better, and it comes free with PS3? 1080p is HDMI only - but shouldnt new screen you are getting be HDMI anyway?

Resistance is fine game and multiplayer is really fun... Combine those two and PS3 is definitive purchase...

It doesn't upconvert DVD's. Remember the PS3 doesn't even scale games made for the system let alone movies. Also if he's like most people here he probably already owns a bunch of DVD's that he doesn't want to replace any time soon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you have an interest in HD movies, and the equipment to take advantage of them. Then I say do it.

I've not done a lot of gaming on the PS3 but I've watched a lot of movies.

I consider the PS3 right now as a great BD player that also plays games. Plus if you have a rental account like that does movies, games or both then you will keep yourself entertained for quite some time.

While there are no games that I can think of wanting to own (except R:FOM which I already have) there are plenty that I don't mind renting.

And my Netflix que is filled with BD and HD-DVD movies.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.