AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So my HT is in a small room and currently setup in a 5.1 config. The receiver I have my eye one (HK AVR525) does 7.1 and I hate to leave those 2 channels unused. My HT is in my sig--and I am wondering if it is worth it to try, and what cheap speakers I should use (I'm a poor college student) for the back 2.

·
Registered
568 Posts
19x14 is not a big room. In my opinion, it's not big enough to warrant the expense, since you're going to have to find suitable locations for all those speakers.

I'd invest whatever money you might spend on those extra channels towards improving the sound of what you already have. For example, you might be able to use those additional 2 amps to biamp your L/R, or you might upgrade the L/R speakers (or both).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just made a similar move. My room is about 20' x 12'. I was running a 5.1 setup with a 50watt Onkyo receiver.

I upgraded my main and center channel. Those old mains were just sitting in my closet - so I got an HK AVR 325. That little guy is plenty loud for my room. I can't get it over -15db without my wife and neighbors complaining.

I used the old mains as the rear surrounds. I can definitely tell a difference between the Onkyo and the HK. Most of that is likely from the HKs flexibility in the setup menus. I'm not really sure how much of a difference I can really tell between 5.1 and 7.1 when listening in PLII or 5 channel Dolby or DTS. But when listening to 6 channel DTS or Dolby EX material, I can hear a lot more detail and presence in the rear.

I'm glad I made the move.

Regards,

Karl

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with blw, you can always use the extra channels to bi-amp a pair of multiroom speakers. I'm doing that now with the 525 as the 5.1 is more then enough for my 22x16 den. The extra channels are driving a pair of Infinity's in my L/R and my wife loves the sound.

Mike G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.