Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently acquired a Yamaha RXV-1500, very pleased. I also acquired a nearly-full set of Athena speakers, including four of their R1 dipoles for the L/R surround and L/R rear speakers.

At the time, the speakers were an impulse buy because the price was good. I've wired up all but the rear speakers, which are still in their boxes. What I'm wondering is, is it worth it to pull those out and set them up? Or, should I skip it and sell them?

I'd imagined that there were a decent number of DVD titles that were programmed to take advanage of those channels, but I think I was mistaken. (I guess there are just a handful of THX EX encoded DVDs.) However, I get the impression now that DD PLIIx may produce some interesting effects with the L/R rears on 5.1 DVDs.

So, do I crack the boxes and wire the speakers? If so, for those familiar with the 1500, what sound field programs can I apply to DD5.1 or DTS DVDs that take advantage of the rear speakers? For example, will the "THX: THX Cinema" setting 'force' a 6th & 7th channel out of 5.1 sources?

Thanks,

Tiger

·
Registered
542 Posts
Home about some info such as room dimensions and how your viewing/listening position is arranged.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

The room is about 24x15 and the viewing axis is along the 24ft dimension. Viewing position is about 13 ft back from the 92-in screen (PLV-Z3 HD projector). Speakers are 2x Athena B2s up front, 1x Athena ASC-1 center, 2x Athena AS-R1s for L/R surrounds. Ceiling is a low 6ft 3in, unfinished (this is a basement). Walls are cinderblock, floor is carpeted. Sub is an old JBL 10-in front firing.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Tiger

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Tiger,

I'm also using the 1500 (as a pre-pro) in a 7.1 config (Axiom M60 mains, VP-150 center, QS8 l/r surround, and M3 in sbr and sbl, Hsu VTF-3). I prefer using Yamaha's 'enhanced' dsp for all DD/DTS soundtracks, and I apply DPLIIx on top of that (including DD-EX and DTS-ES tracks); makes for a thoroughly convincing and satisfying surround experience. The sixth and seventh channels sound pretty discrete to my ears. If you've got another pair of the Athena di-poles gathering dust, you've really got nothing to lose by trying it out, right? Cheers.

DS.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerninety
Hello,

The room is about 24x15 and the viewing axis is along the 24ft dimension. Viewing position is about 13 ft back from the 92-in screen (PLV-Z3 HD projector). Speakers are 2x Athena B2s up front, 1x Athena ASC-1 center, 2x Athena AS-R1s for L/R surrounds. Ceiling is a low 6ft 3in, unfinished (this is a basement). Walls are cinderblock, floor is carpeted. Sub is an old JBL 10-in front firing.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Tiger
So if I understand this right, you have 11 ft from the back of the room to your listening position. This would provide enough room for rear surrounds to exist. The are quite a few threads that take about rear surround positioning (distance, angles). If you search this forum or the speakers forum, I'm sure you will find them.

Hers' one thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5992301

Alternatively, you could use the other speakers up front as presence speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.