AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm shopping around for a Home Theater System and doing my best to do research ahead of time here. I have a Samsung HL-S5088 50" DLP and a SA 8300HD cable box from Cox Cable. I'll be shopping for speakers, a receiver, and a DVD player.

My question is this: I've read about a lot of problems people have had using HDMI to connect their systems, and am wondering if it isn't quite ready for prime time. Should I just get good speakers (considering Def Tech ProCinema 800) and get a good quality receiver that doesn't have HDMI for now? I just wonder if its worth the hassle and cost that HDMI adds, and if I'd be better off using component cables for video, optical or digital coax for audio and call it a day. I'm looking for suggestions and some guidance.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht /forum/post/0

I can't tell you from experience, but my research leads me to say wait on HDMI. If you think you will want to upgrade soon (or that it will be more viable) then go cheap now.

That's what I was leaning towards at the moment. I do have a Bose 321 so I could hang for awhile, although its simulated surround sound is not cutting it, which is why I want to upgrade. Best Buy has a 3 year interest free finance deal going, so that is hard to pass up. Maybe I'll just get speakers and wait until the summer for a receiver.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The answer to your question is yes you should. I have the same version dlp tv as you and the same dvr. I am running my system with componant for video and optical for sound and I couldn't be more pleased. My receiver is a very good "no hdmi" rotel rsx-1067. It is truly awesome.

However hdmi may benefit you, it is not worth the "issues" associated with it IMO and the human eyeball is not going to see any difference in pq.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiney6188W /forum/post/0

The answer to your question is yes you should. I have the same version dlp tv as you and the same dvr. I am running my system with componant for video and optical for sound and I couldn't be more pleased. My receiver is a very good "no hdmi" rotel rsx-1067. It is truly awesome.

However hdmi may benefit you, it is not worth the "issues" associated with it IMO and the human eyeball is not going to see any difference in pq.

Thanks for the feedback, Shiney6188W. I'm glad to hear some are getting good results without HDMI and are happy with it. I saw on another thread some folks providing good reviews on an Onkyo TX-S504 that was pretty inexpensive ~$300 or so. At that price, I can have a reciever for a couple of years, and if HDMI settles down, upgrade if I feel the need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I need a new receiver as my current receiver has one less digital audio connection than I need and I'm tired of manually switching when I want to play my 360. I currently have 2 HDMI sources (Motorola cable box and an HTPC), though I'm using component for the cable box right now. I have a Harmony 880 remote, so the simplicity of doing all of the video switching through the receiver isn't a requirement for me. The single wire to the display would be nice, but I don't have a problem with the 4 sets of wires that are running there right now.

I've looked into the commonly discussed mid-fi options discussed here - Denon 2807 and 4306, Yamaha RX-V2700, Pioneer 8xTXV - but the HDMI/HDCP issues are daunting, especially when you can get an Onkyo 604 with similar functionality for 1/3 the cost. It would seem that the difference in price point between the Onkyo and the $1100-$1900 receivers should get you some advanced video processing as well as better audio techonogy (i.e. better DACs and amps). That doesn't seem to be the case though. I haven't heard of any reciever that does decent upscaling, other than the Anthem D2, which is significantly more expensive.

So I've been looking at Emotiva separates, or possibly getting a relatively inexpensive receiver to use as a pre/pro and then getting a separate amplifier. The Onkyo 604 would be ideal, but it doesn't have pre-outs. You have to get the 804 for that, which puts you almost at the same price point as the other mid-fi receivers.

So, what to do? This money isn't going to spend itself!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only reason I would think anyone would want HDMI in the receiver is if they had several sources that utilized HDMI for their highest signals and they wanted to use the receiver as a video switcher. It does not sound like this is your situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanOh /forum/post/0

The only reason I would think anyone would want HDMI in the receiver is if they had several sources that utilized HDMI for their highest signals and they wanted to use the receiver as a video switcher. It does not sound like this is your situation.

You are correct. While I can connect the DVR and the soon to be purchased DVD player via HDMI, I get the impression that it isn't necessary to get good video quality, and the component cables do a good job. I have the cable box hooked up directly to the TV via component and HDMI, and I really can't tell the difference. I guess if I get a Harmony, I can always go HDMI to the TV, digital audio to the receiver, and have the remote do all the "button pushing" automatically. I looked at the Onkyo website, and they have a refurbished 504 for $169, and it got a good review in hometheatermag.com. Just seems like for now I don't need to spend a lot on a receiver, especially when I don't have a good surround home theater system to compare it to. Just about anything is going to be a huge upgrade for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.