AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating building a new sub. I'm happy with my current ported MJ-18M, but I want more on the bottom end. My current sub is tuned to 24Hz and it falls off pretty quickly below that with the high pass set at 20Hz or thereabouts to keep cone excursion in check.

I'm thinking about a IXL-18.2.2 with 2 PR from DIY cable in an 8^3 enclosure. 8^3 is about as big as I can possibly go with cabinet size. To get the low bass I'm looking for dual PR's are the only way I'm going to be able to do it. I could build another ported sub but the port length, box size, and first resonant frequency start becoming issues when I model it out. Couple things I'm not real sure on is how much mass can you get away with adding to each PR? Also in Win ISD does the mass number on the PR tab apply to each PR or both combined?

The IXL-18.2.2 is in stock at Mach 5 but their PR's are not. DIY Cable has their 18 inch PR in stock that's why I'm looking at them. I've already got the amp and EQ so I'm all set there. All told it will cost about $600 to make it happen.

I've attached some screens comparing my current ported MJ-18M compared to the IXL-18.2.2 with dual PR. Should I build it or are the gains down low not worth the bother?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry Jailer, the MJ-PR *is* in stock - just a web glitch that was holding things back. It's fixed now.

Best,

Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
Those are giant gains, if it's the money though - is up to you. I'd just order another MJM or two and seal and scatter them (depending on your room of course.)

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Exodus PR can handle a MAX of 2000 grams mass each according to Kevin . That total includes the 300 grams mass of the PR .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgboy /forum/post/15537224

Those are giant gains, if it's the money though - is up to you. I'd just order another MJM or two and seal and scatter them (depending on your room of course.)

Not really money, just cabinet physical size constraints and boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/15537956

The Exodus PR can handle a MAX of 2000 grams mass each according to Kevin . That total includes the 300 grams mass of the PR .

Good info to know thanks.

I'm still looking at a 7^3 internal volume ported enclosure as well so I'm still up in the air on this.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Hey, good luck with that!

I have no experience with passive radiators, so I can't comment.

I've heard they simply allow for a smaller than normal enclosure size with more SPL than a sealed box, but not as much SPL as a ported enclosure.

The sound will change drastically btw, when you go with the lower tune. You *might* not like it? It may not have as much midbass as your current enlcosure?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It models pretty close to the MJ-18M except that it has much more extension down low. Besides it's going to be crossed over at 80Hz so it shouldn't be an issue. My mains put out plenty of bass as well so it should be OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts