AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have experience with the JVC HM-DH30000? I'm contemplating buying one. I would like to record OTA HDTV, and I have a TV that is compatible with this VCR: a new Hitachi XWX 65" with IEEE 1394. I don't really like the tape format, but if it produces a great quality recording, I might consider it. I doubt if I would buy prerecorded DVHS movies.

Does this JVC D-VHS VCR record shows in widescreen if they are presented that way? How about 4:3? Also, what kind of audio does it record from OTA HDTV? If a show or movie is broadcast in 5.1 sound, will this VCR record that, or does it downmix it?

Are D-VHS tapes re-recordable like regular VHS tapes? Will the picture quality lessen or the tape get worn if I record HD over and over on the same tape?

Finally, what time period are we looking at for some other recordable HD format, like HD-DVD or a HD hard disc recorder? If any other format is coming out in the next 6-12 months, I might wait. It it will be a few years, I would really consider a D-VHS VCR.

I hope someone can answer these questions for me.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
785 Posts
[Does anyone here have experience with the JVC HM-DH30000? I'm contemplating buying one...I doubt if I would buy prerecorded DVHS movies.]

Well, I have the Mits D-VHS but I'm sure the answers are the same for both units. First, if you're not going to bother with pre-recorded movies than you can save about $500 and go with Mits.

[Does this JVC D-VHS VCR record shows in widescreen if they are presented that way? How about 4:3? Also, what kind of audio does it record from OTA HDTV? If a show or movie is broadcast in 5.1 sound, will this VCR record that, or does it downmix it?]

The recordings play back as they were transmitted from the source. An HD widescreen broadcast plays in widescreen; a 4:3 is 4:3. Not sure about the sound but it's my impression that if the broadcast is with 5.1 audio than that is what you'll hear - assuming you have 5.1 playback equipment.

[Are D-VHS tapes re-recordable like regular VHS tapes? Will the picture quality lessen or the tape get worn if I record HD over and over on the same tape?]

D-VHS tape is just like "regular VHS" except with a slighlty different formulation and thickness. You can buy D-VHS tapes (starting around $6 each, or you can use S-VHS (about $4 each). In my machine I see no difference in the recording quality. I've been rerecording over the same tapes (about 6 in rotation) since September and have not seen any sign of degradation (no dropout or stretching issues, no dirty pinch rollers or other mechanical/electronic issues).

[Finally, what time period are we looking at for some other recordable HD format, like HD-DVD or a HD hard disc recorder? If any other format is coming out in the next 6-12 months, I might wait. It it will be a few years, I would really consider a D-VHS VCR.]

My guess is that we're about two years away from an "affordable" HD-DVD player and longer for a recordable HD-DVD.

The value of the D-VHS format is very strong. Sure, an HD-PVR or DVD recorder is what most of us would like to have but in the meantime, tape is cheap and the HD pictures are stunning. Besides, what's the big deal about one more video format as long as the media is low-cost with a high-quality picture

[

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Brian,

Please use the search feature. This deck is in wide use by members here and there already has been a lot detailed discussion about it.

Try searching on JVC deck, HM-DH30000U, and D-Theater. There are a lot of topics on the first couple of pages in this forum, all you have to do is take the time to read them.

--Jerome

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Thanks Jerome-

I will answer your topic question- If you want to record and collect a personal library of HDTV programs and movies, DVHS VCR is the only game unless you want to spend a gazillion $$$$$$ for an HDTV production studio. There just is no other way. Some will try to convince you that you can do it with a HTPC and a gazillion $$$$$$ in hard drives. While that works, I'm not into spending my next year's income to do the kind of archiving I did this past year for a couple hundred bucks of tape. When DVD HD is here, I will switch but for now I enjoy HDTV on DVHS tape and I have two machines for making dubs and cleaning up my recordings. Beyond that, all your other questions are fully answered. In fact, so is the topic question but I thought that was worth repeating for the newbies who don't know the state of the art now.

PS: DVDHD is still in development and closest estimates are guessed at 2 years away. If you don't like tape, that's fine, then go sit on the sidelines and wait for DVD HD. Many are doing that today.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Well, I have the Mits D-VHS but I'm sure the answers are the same for both units. First, if you're not going to bother with pre-recorded movies than you can save about $500 and go with Mits.
This was true at one time, but isn't anymore, is it? The JVC is easily available for $750 - $800, so I doubt the Mits can be found for $500 less. The Mits would probably be the better choice from a reliability aspect, though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
While recording to DVHS is inexpensive it cannot compare to using DVD-R disks at about 65cents each. The downside is that you will need a HTPC and it will take 3-4 disks for an entire movie. For me, I have come to the realization that this is the best solution for my archival.

David.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Better wait on any purchase on the JVC unit. It has a playback problem which needs to be fixed. It may never be fixed as JVC might deny it has a problem. I have had 3 units. All have failed after a hundred hours of use. Lots of others here has also had the same problem.

Buy the Mits.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jeff, you are right, I have yet to hear a person having the Mits have the kinda issues we are having with real use of the JVC.

Dave

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
While recording to DVHS is inexpensive it cannot compare to using DVD-R disks at about 65cents each. The downside is that you will need a HTPC and it will take 3-4 disks for an entire movie.
Using S-VHS tape for D-VHS recording is quite common. At about $3.50 for 2.5 hours of recording time, on a single, uninterrupted pass, it makes DVD-R of no value to me. The cost advantage is slight and the inconvenience factor is high.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
While recording to DVHS is inexpensive it cannot compare to using DVD-R disks at about 65cents each.
David,

I thought DVD+/-R was around $2 each. Where are you finding them for that price and is it quality media with the longevity for archiving?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Using S-VHS tape for D-VHS recording is quite common. At about $3.50 for 2.5 hours of recording time, on a single, uninterrupted pass, it makes DVD-R of no value to me. The cost advantage is slight and the inconvenience factor is high.
Ken,

Which DVHS deck are you using?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
Ken,

Which DVHS deck are you using?
Panasonic PV-HD1000

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
David,

I thought DVD+/-R was around $2 each. Where are you finding them for that price and is it quality media with the longevity for archiving?
I am using DVD-R media, not DVD+R.

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/P-DVDR-4.7-GENPrinco.html

As far as longevity, not sure what we are talking about but optical lifespan usually surpasses magnetic by a large margin.

David.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
I have two D-VHS decks and was hoping that this would work for me but it was frustrating that once in every few recordings I would get a glitch. The glitch was not present in the transport stream as I capture everything with my Hipix and have a chance to check both. Most people are not as anal as me and probably can live with a movie that has a one second glitch.

Using DVD-R I can be sure that everything is as I originally recorded it. You are correct in that it is more difficult to archive, in order to store a full movie you will have to insert at least three disks into the burner but it does not take any more time as burning at 2x is faster than DVHS.

Regarding playback, this is not problem. I have a SCSI rack of Pioneer DVD drives that I can seamlessly playback with. I am also able to seek to any part of the movie and no rewinding.

Another reason why I have adopted this strategy is that I firmly believe that we will have hard drives at much higher capacities/lower costs in the very near future. Transfering a movie from DVD media to the hard disk is much easier and fullproof than D-VHS.

David.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
I have a SCSI rack of Pioneer DVD drives that I can seamlessly playback with. I am also able to seek to any part of the movie and no rewinding.
David,

I was thinking of doing something similar with multiple DVD drives to playback DVD-R. But I was thinking maybe IDE/Firewire. I'm curious why you went SCSI. I thought the cost of SCSI was substantialy higher than IDE?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You can get the Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM drives for about $120 each. And I have to say that it's an option that I am seriously considering.

--Jerome

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
David,

I was thinking of doing something similar with multiple DVD drives to playback DVD-R. But I was thinking maybe IDE/Firewire. I'm curious why you went SCSI. I thought the cost of SCSI was substantialy higher than IDE?
I went with SCSI because it is much easier to host a large number of drives than IDE. Also because I needed an external solution since I did not have enough free drive bays in my case. I purchased a CD rackmount system from ebay for about $100, it holds 7 drives. The Pioneer SCSI slot-load drives are about $100/ea.

David.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a scsi array with 750 gigbytes of storage currently on line. Now if I could feed stuff thorough out my house in real time, that would be cool!!

Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.