AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, sorry mods if I should use that monster thread, but if you look you'll see I've already tried that and the question got washed away w/ no answers.

So, next, can someone help me figure out if I should buy a rp82 or cp72 instead of using the xbox as my dvd player? The pj should be here today or tomorrow and I only have my xbox for dvds. I intend to put together an htpc but that looks like it will take awhile. So in the meantime should I buy a dvd player or use the xbox?

I have a gf and roomate so a dvd player would simplify things even when the htpc is born. The problem is I have not idea how much better a proper dvd player would be over the xbox. It is interlaced, not progressive.

One reason I'm considering this is I want as good a picture out of this pj as I can get b/c my gf is already down on the whole pj idea. So if the xbox isn't going to cut it, this pj's first impression will be lame-o and that will be hard to overcome.

thanks everyone,

Rob

·
Registered
92 Posts
xbox is not a bad choice but you'll only get 480i for DVD with it. It will do higher resolutions for the games but DVD is limited to 480i.

So the question is do you want a progressive DVD player(480p) or is 480i good enough.

I would recommend getting the RP82 as it is progressive and has the DCDi. Or basically any DVD player without the chroma bug and good de-interlacing.

Henry

·
Registered
354 Posts
How long will it be until you build the HTPC? Once you do, A DVD player won't be useful to you anymore. Maybe try it with the Xbox for a while and see if it can tide you over?

So, you have an Xbox and don't use it for games?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just bought a projector and though I plan on building a HTPC exclusively for it, I will probably have to get a prog. scan DVD player just to simplify things for my wife since I don't plan on settling for an interlaced picture. I am also using an Xbox til then (my son and I played Halo for hours today, oh boy).

·
Registered
761 Posts
you may be able to find old stock of the Panasonic RP56 (I think it is discontinued) for really cheap. Believe it or not it reportedly has DCDi processing and can be had in Canada for just over $200 CDN so in the U.S. it has to be darn near free :D

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I've mentioned this elsewhere (sorry for sounding like a broken record) but the HS10 does seem to be pretty dependant on source. I bought an RP-82 at the same time as my HS10 thinking it would outperform my Sony 9000ES. I was almost ready to return the projector until I switched to the 9000ES. I can honestly say it was a night and day difference.

If you know you're going to go with a HTPC (which should be amazing), you can probably get by with your X-Box in the mean time, but reserve judgement on the projector till you get it hooked up to your HTPC or really good prog DVD player. Oh yeah, and ditch the multi-input cable for a high quality component (or S-Video) cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.