AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new setup at my house. I just purchase a 30 in HDTV Widescreen Panasonic which will be connected to my surround sound, dvd player, p2, etc. Should I buy a Monster Surge protector? The reason I'm confused is because I was looking at an APC surge protector that had 3500 joules of protection for 45.99 while the monster one only has 1750 for 99.99. Any reason why there is such a big difference? What should I be more worried about, Joules or Brand?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G
What should I be more worried about, Joules or Brand?
Joules

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Whatever it is, if Monster is selling it you can get it for half the price elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G
What should I be more worried about, Joules or Brand?
Both. Monster sucks. Easy decision in this instance.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Whatever it is, if Monster is selling it you can get it for half the price elsewhere.
That for me would be like pork at half price for someone who is Jewish.

·
Registered
346 Posts
APC. If it was between specs of a no-name surge supressor and a brand name, then go with the brand. But in this case, APC is "the name" in surge supressors, even more than Monster. Monster made it's rep in cables, while APC is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) names in ups's and surge supressors. So, in this case, as KaryK said, both. APC is both the bigger name and better spec unit.

ArtT

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Ignore joules ratings. They are misleading at best when comparing products from different manufacturers. Pay attention to clamping voltage and maximum surge current. There is nothing wrong with Monster other than price. I use Isobar Ultra.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a Panamax 5410 Pro and love it. Had a thunder storm blow through last night while watching a movie. Lights flickered then went out along with Panamax unit and everything plugged into it. Lights came back in a few seconds but were flickering bad. Panamax warned of voltage problems and wouldn't route power to downstream devices for about 20 seconds until it received stable line voltage (which was when the lights stopped flickering)...

Monster is like IBM...You can always buy better but you can't pay more....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just got a Pure AV surge protector from Belkin for my Sammy DLP. No problems so far, and I am planning on getting one of their power conditioners for my HT. They are priced very, very competitive and seem to have quite a few features compared to Monster, Panamax, APC, etc....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Anyone have links to pics of some good surge protectors?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I went with the PureAv PF60. Seemed like a pretty good product for the money. I am quite a fan of other belkin products so I am hoping this will last. Looks and build quality are good. I bought mine for a good price at a .com where you BUY things.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999
No.

Panamax, Furman, many others. Anything but Monster.
That opinion's based on the name and their dogged pursuit of brand name enforcement, not the performance. People have beef with Monster because it's en vogue to here. Buy based on:

1. Joule rating.

2. How the surge is clamped i.e. avoid fuses or relays; they're too slow.

3. How easy it is to redeem a connected equipment warranty if you do get zapped and it's their fault.

4. Conditioning is more and more a requirement, but is still in the optional realm.

Beyond that, brand's irrelevant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just saw this at Costco for $99.... retails for ~$175-220 online.

Tripp Lite's SMART1000LCD Line-Interactive Digital UPS System offers voltage regulation, surge suppression and long lasting battery support for personal computers, home entertainment systems and media centers.

1000VA/500 watts

Can be mounted as tower or on a shelf.

Provides surge and noise suppression

Provides voltage regulation

Has battery backup

Neat LCD display if you like that sort of thing

Outputs PWM sine wave

$250,000 connected equipment insurance (cheap insurance!? :rolleyes: )

thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.