AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my third HTPC and it is 3yo and surprisingly far less obsolete than any other PC I have had. As in I can still buy a refurb Dell with it's specs for $350 which isn't bad since I built this in '07 for $500.

Anyway, now that I am doing more video transcoding (PlayOn), SageTV running comskip, Hulu, etc. my CPU bottleneck is driving me CRAZY. God forbid I try to watch a netflix video or a DVD.

This is our HTPC but also our main internet browsing PC so firefox is open with 8 tabs in at least 2 windows all day as well.

I finally tracked down the only currently available processor that my motherboard will take and it is $200ish.

Now I have 2gb ddr2, e4500 2.2Ghz 2MB L2 core 2 duo running XP. I could buy a core 2 duo e8500 3.16GHz, 6MB L2, for $200ish and another 2GB of ram for $20 and- would it be enough better to do what I want?

Of course for not much more I could have a completely new setup but then I would probably want to install Windows 7 and then I'd have to deal with all of the stuff that doesn't work anymore . . .and would a new corei5 be significantly faster once I jam another different and certainly bloated windoze install down it's throat? OR would my performance experience be the same?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
$200 for LGA-775 isn't really worth it. Better option would be one of the Pentium E6x00 Wolfdales for under $100. Given you seem to be doing some heavy multi-tasking, I'd actually suggest switching platforms and going at least quad-core.

If you're not planning on selling your old PC, you could even divide the tasks. Keep your current HTPC for Sage (since you already have it set-up and all) and use the new quad-core for back-end tasks such as PlayOn and internet browsing.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Q6600 for $100 at ebay (much better than E8500)...

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Among them Q8300 is a good choice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, I just bought a new E6500 for my home server build for $65.

The i3 530 comes in at around $120, so spending more than that on an older processor seems to suggest it is time for a motherboard upgrade.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19534760

Q6600 for $100 at ebay (much better than E8500)...

Oh, I didn't even look at ebay. Yeah that is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19534782

There are lots of 775 processors available.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...rt=NewProduct&

My motherboard only supports (per it's MSI spec page) a couple that I would think are better than the one I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19534813

Among them Q8300 is a good choice.

Yes I saw this after I made the post, but my mobo can only do the q6600, q6700, q9300, q9450.

For cheap money I would def. upgrade to a Core 2 Quad. but the q9300 for $139 at Microcenter (versus $125 used q6600 on ebay) seems the best I can do.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I can certainly understand the temptation for upgrading CPU - no need to change software, OS and gets performance boost. Intel certainly want you to think so by coming up with socket standards.

But I suspect what you are facing is an issue with process scheduling. Transcoding will need as much CPU as available. So it is important to throttle back the process. I manually reduce the priority of transcoding process using Task Manager and my PC (also running XP) is a lot more responsive afterward.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation /forum/post/19536547

But I suspect what you are facing is an issue with process scheduling. Transcoding will need as much CPU as available. So it is important to throttle back the process. I manually reduce the priority of transcoding process using Task Manager and my PC (also running XP) is a lot more responsive afterward.

He's using PlayOn so his computer needs to be able to do real-time transcoding (or darn close to it). He certainly shouldn't be throttling it or whatever device he's streaming to will probably start showing stutters or frequent pauses for buffering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts