AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Five years ago, I bought a Panasonic AE900U and a Panoview GrayWolf manual screen and we have been thrilled with the picture. I just upgraded to an Epson 8700UB, and as funds are short, I was wondering if there would be a noticeable improvement in image if I spent 3-4 hundred on a different screen or if I should wait until I have a bigger "new screen fund" and buy something then. The new projector looks outstanding on the current screen; but then again we were happy with the Panny....... until we got the Epson. My questions are:

1. If you suggest getting a new screen now, and one that would preform better than the GrayWolf can be purchased for 3-4 hundred, what should I get?

2. If I should wait, what should I look at and be willing to spend and why? In other words, what will a $1,500 screen do that a $400 screen won't?

3. Is there a website I can visit to learn about projector screens?

I have a light controlled theater. As always, thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey bigkid13,

I'm kinda in a similar position. I've got a 92" manual Panoview Greywolf II that I've been using in my finished basement w/ controlled lighting. Originally, I bought it b/c of the 1.8 gain and price, as this is my secondary system and I didn't want to spend a lot. I wasn't interested in wiring in a motorized screen and liked the idea that the manual pull down would be more portable than a fixed frame. That was about 4 years ago, I've never used it anywhere else and I've never had any problems with wrinkles. However, I have a new 1080p projector, ceiling mounted in the same place as the old, but the smallest picture now requires a 100" screen.

If you're only looking to spend 3-400 dollars and you're happy with the Graywolf, I'd say sit tight. I don't think you're going to see much difference at the sub-$400 price point from SI, Da Lite or Elite. Buy 3-400 dollars of HD content instead.

Do you need to hide the screen? Any screen size requirements? http://www.projectorcentral.com/ has some good info as well as a calculator tool.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Go to best buy and look at a Black Diamond II or look at the you tube videos. I think they have the most innovative screen. Other than that most of the screens are very similar and have not had major tech improvements.

This is a hard question to answer what will a screen do for you since the screen is only one component of the system. It depends on the room, projector, video processor etc.

It is like asking what will higher octane gas do in my car, without knowing the car it may do very little or could get rid of pings and increase horsepower.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Black Diamonds start around $2500 Bigkid13 said $300-$400.

To try and answer your question, it depends on your setup... .i.e. ambient light, reflected light, seating distance, projector distance and mounting location, screen size, projector output .. etc etc

If you just upgraded the projector, and funds are low, I would just sit back and enjoy the show! Could a different screen change the image, sure it could, but so could a $400 ISF calibration OR even 2 hours of time with the free AVSHD calibration disk.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

As to screens and what you get with more and more money, here is a post with some links to useful information on screens materiel and technology. This thread was related to the Dilite HP screen but the links I pasted are to a lot of different screen information. Some of it is a bit dated, but still applicable.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19645400

1 - 4 of 4 Posts