AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in desparate need of a new TV, but I don't have a huge budget. I was thinking about picking up one of these from BestBuy for the following reasons:

1. No interest for 24 months.

2. I already have a account there.

3. A couple gift cards I could use to help with the total.

My question is, is this the best unit there for under $1500? I've had a Panasonic RPTV that is over 15 years old and is just now starting to show some age. I mainly watch SD but will likely go HD very soon. Can anybody give me andy pro's/con's with this unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have installed several of the PT53WX53's in the last few weeks. They seem to be good sets for the price. I will point out a few things however:

1) out of the box, the set is very poorly tuned.

2) source material makes a very big difference on these sets since the internal scaler is not as good as some models.

3) one of the sets had a "wave" in the screen on delivery requiring it be exchanged.

I advise if you are getting one of these sets, have it delivered, open it before signing for it, and don't take it if it has any noticable defects(this goes for all TV's, not just this one).

Once you get the set, make sure you fine tune it in the service menu. The user menu only gives you 9 points for convergence, but in the service menu, you get 165 points, geometry, overscan, underscan, centering, etc. If you are unfamiliar with these settings and how they work, it may be a good idea to shop around, save a couple of hundred on the set(BB will price match) then have a full tuning done by a pro. You should still be under $1500.00 for the set and the custom tuning. You will then have an incredible picture for a great price.

As a side note, I just installed one of the PT53WX53's with an HD931 DVD player on the DVI in at 1080i, Out of the box, it was definitely only a $1700.00 set, after 4 hours of tuning, it gave the HLN507 a run for it's money.

If you are interested in some price specifics, PM me and I can send you a link to help you compare prices on the set, and send you the service menu info.

Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.