AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have the money to buy a good HDTV right now. The cheap Samsungs don't have 720p. The 32-inch Sony does have 720p, but I can't afford $1200-$1300 cost at this time.

But my old TV died, so I had to buy one. I got a good analog 32-inch JVC with component video input for $360.00. I'll get an HDTV monitor someday, when I can better afford it.

I am already a DirecTV customer. Should I take advantage of Best Buy's 50% off open box DirecTV receiver deal and get a Samsung TS160 for $250-$300? It would be a replacement for our main living room DirecTV receiver. It would be great to have an HDTV receiver ready when we do get an HDTV monitor, plus, by purchasing the reciever now, it would make our switch to HDTV less costly in the future.

Considerations:

1. Will HD DirecTV channels look better than standard digital DirecTV channels through this receiver, at 480i?

2. Will OTA HD channels look better than regular analog OTA channels through this receiver, at 480i?

3. This receiver has had some problems. Will it hold up over time, until I'm ready to purchase an HDTV monitor in 5 or 6 years? If it won't hold up, I probably should wait.

4. Will the cost of HDTV receivers come down to $250-300 within 2 years? I think they might. But even if they are cheaper, I still might not be able to afford to purchase both a monitor and receiver at the same time.

5. When new HDTV sets with tuners included start becoming common in 3 years or so, won't that make the price of new or used HDTV monitors real cheap?

I'm thinking that I could pick up a used HDTV monitor from someone in 3 years for a fraction of what they are selling for now. I would have my TS160 ready to go if that opportunity arose.

I'm leaning toward this purchase, but I would like input from the true experts in this forum, too!

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple of other questions:

I already have a DirecTV receiver with S-Video out. Would component video out (like the SIR-75) look substantially better than S-Video out on my analog set?

I know component video looks better on an HDTV monitor, but does it look markedly better than S-video on an analog monitor?

Also, I like Dolby Digital sound, but my current DirecTV receiver does not have it. I can get a DirecTV TIVO receiver with Dolby Digital sound for about $45 as an open box buy at Best Buy.

I don't know much about TIVO. It is worth it?

Thanks again for your responses.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well it depends on if your willing to spend the money and if it is worth it to you. Ota digital should and will look a little better on a 32inch. I remember when I first got my stb I did not have a widescreen tv so I had to use the stb on my 32inch toshiba. I was surpised about how good the picture looked but on a set this small the difference is not very noticable compared to a large set. I own the t160 and like it but have some minor problems. If your like me and like to play with stuff then yes I would probably do it but if your watching your money I would not buy one until you have the tv. As far as the t160 goes in three years it will be a worthless antique for the most part. Jeff

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you aren't going to buy an HDTV for a few more years, I'd wait on the purchase of a STB. The technology is changing so fast, there's no telling what's going to be available and at what price in a couple years. DVI/HDCP may be phased out and replaced by HDCM (?) copy protection. Directv may not be the best source of HD programs in your area or across the country in two more years. If I were you I'd at least wait for a HD Directv/TIVO STB to come out. Or, at least wait and see what new HD channels Directv adds this year to see if they'll remain competive in the HD arena with the possible aquisition of Directv by Rupert Murdoch who has not necessarily been an advocate of HDTV.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'd like to know where you can get the DirecTivo for $45 - even an open box. IMO this would be your best bet...particularly for standard TV watching. Tivo will certainly make you enjoy your JVC much more, I also own the TS160 and think it is a very good unit but in 3-4 years I'm certain that I will be replacing it - if there is no way for you to use the full capabilities of the Samsung now - pass on it and let someone else who can use it take advantage of the deal.

If you decide to pass on the Tivo as well PM the store where it is at - I could always use a 3rd for a movie server;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Simon. I think I'm leaning toward the TIVO purchase.

The only thing I'm weighing is the $12.95 a month cost. I can afford it, but I have to decide if it's worth it.

The DirectTIVO I saw in Best Buy was marked at $71.90. Best Buy is running an ad giving 50% off all open box DirecTV receivers. Some stores give you 50% off the regular price, other stores are giving 50% off the open box price.

So, I guess my math is off - if they give me 50% off the open box price, it will only cost me about $40, including tax.

I'll tell you where it is if I don't buy it, lol.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The price for the Tivo service has been reduced to $4.99/mo - so that may help make the decision for you. If you have the Total Choice Premier package the Tivo service is included so the $4.99 is waived.

·
Registered
731 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.