AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying the Toshiba HD-A2 but am wondering how well it upconverts standard def. DVDs? Also, it only outputs 1080i, I have a 1080p TV, should I wait for the HD-A20, which will output and uponvert to 1080p?

Opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't think there is much difference between 1080i and 1080p, at least to human eyes. Either way your TV should convert it to 1080p. The upconverting of DVD's on the A2 is great and you can do a search on that on here if you want to read more about that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got a Optoma H70 720P projector & am very happy with the 720P(vis HDMI) out of the player.

I was very impressed with the the standard def uprezzing.

I have found chapter advancing occasionally sluggish but I can live with it.

I got mine for $429 @B&H in NYC.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My understanding of how it works is not perfect, but I believe the data on the disc is stored as 1080p/24. The player interlaces it for 1080i output, and your 1080p television can deinterlace it properly to 1080p/60 without any loss of quality compared to receiving a 1080p signal. That is my understanding anyway. Can anyone verify that?

I just recall others discussing a while back how the 1080i/1080p thing was hype by Sony, and that it made no difference on most televisions--1080/24 tvs might be different, though.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
What model TV do you have? I have the A2 mated to a JVC 1080p and must say the PQ is excellent. I personally won't be upgrading anytime soon.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDSM /forum/post/0

My understanding of how it works is not perfect, but I believe the data on the disc is stored as 1080p/24.

That is correct both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray record the content to the disc at 1080p/24. Meaning 24 frames per second.

Quote:

The player interlaces it for 1080i output, and your 1080p television can deinterlace it properly to 1080p/60 without any loss of quality compared to receiving a 1080p signal. That is my understanding anyway. Can anyone verify that?

This is correct 99% of the 1080p HDTV have a fixed native display size of 1080p/60. Meaning 60 frames per second (or 60Hz refresh rate like PC monitors). The conversion from 24 frames to 60 frames has to take place somewhere. Either in the TV or the player in either case there is really very little difference. In some cases the TV my do a better job than some players it is really hard to tell.

Quote:

I just recall others discussing a while back how the 1080i/1080p thing was hype by Sony, and that it made no difference on most televisions--1080/24 tvs might be different, though.

Starting this year a couple of newer HDTVs are coming out that support 1080p/24 by have refresh rates in multiples of 24 like 72Hz. These newer TVs are where you are going to see a difference between 1080i/60 and 1080p/24 (naming with the absence of juddering). BTW the HD-XA2 only supports 1080p/60 right now. If you have a much older HDTV is might be good to have a newer external deinterlacer otherwise most 1080p HDTV can handle it very well.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound /forum/post/0

I'm thinking about buying the Toshiba HD-A2 but am wondering how well it upconverts standard def. DVDs? Also, it only outputs 1080i, I have a 1080p TV, should I wait for the HD-A20, which will output and uponvert to 1080p?

Don't wait for 1080i vs p as it is irrelevant, its the chip set the player uses that you can actually see on the screen.

The A2 is an excellent upconverting DVD player, as all the Toshiba HD-DVD players are. I think I hear the A20 will have the same video chip set as the A2 which means it should upconvert about as well. But that's only rumor.

The ultimate upconverting DVD player for PQ is the Toshiba XA2 with its silicon graphics chip set. Its a $800 upconverting player that outperforms anything you can get for less than $4000 new and it has an HD-DVD player thrown in free. What a deal

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll take a serious look at the XA2. It does 1080p too. I really prefer to get a player that does 1080p since my TV does 1080p. Even if there's not a noticeable difference I prefer to let the player give raw data to the TV without the TV having to perform any deinterlacing.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
the important question is does your TV accept 1080p or is it just capable of displaying it

I have a Sharp Aquos Flat Screen LCD that can display 1080p but can only accepts up to 1080i

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase /forum/post/0

Don't wait for 1080i vs p as it is irrelevant, its the chip set the player uses that you can actually see on the screen.

The A2 is an excellent upconverting DVD player, as all the Toshiba HD-DVD players are. I think I hear the A20 will have the same video chip set as the A2 which means it should upconvert about as well. But that's only rumor.

The ultimate upconverting DVD player for PQ is the Toshiba XA2 with its silicon graphics chip set. Its a $800 upconverting player that outperforms anything you can get for less than $4000 new and it has an HD-DVD player thrown in free. What a deal

I couldn't agree more!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.