AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a used NEC MT-1040 for $2K. Not sure of the hours yet. It was used by a dot com that went out of business. Any feedback/Experiences/Advice

If it helps to know my situation, I plan on using it in my finished basement with a drop ceiling. There is about a 12X8 section with one wall open to the rest of the "L" shaped basement. At night, it is about completely dark and that is when it will be used most. The only modifications I may make to the basement is to paint the "theater" section in a darker paint to reduce ambient light. It will be used on a DIY screen yet to be determined. The sound system is 6.1 with DVD and I have about $2500 invested... medium grade at best.

[This message has been edited by bmitchin (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. 1300 NEC ansi lumens (not to be confused with Infocus ansi lumens http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) is pretty darn bright. I run my vt540 at 700 ansi lumens (eco) and it is plenty bright. My only two real concerns would be the contrast ratio and hdtv compatability. Contrast ratio is a little low at 300:1. Also, I am not sure what formats this projector is capable of with hdtv.

Ultimately, I would say go for it. You mate that projector with a grey screen and a htpc (a neccessity in my mind) and you would have a heck of a setup.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'd grab it with one caveat, see the end of the post.

I've got a MT1040 and would never consider selling it for anywhere close to that price. Its got decent contrast and is Panamorphable with component inputs.

I use it with a gray screen and defocus it very slightly. I also own a JVC G1000. The G1000 beats it on color accuracy and screen door, but the brightness of the MT1040 makes it look better with minor ambients.

Of course if you can get a 1500 for $1700...

However the MT1040 does have a zoom.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 07-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi all,

So I'm consider lucky one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I just bought a MT1045 (2000lumens)with 800hrs with ALL hardware/software/cable plus extra NIB lamp for $1700

Now I have to choose between my 400hrs NEC 9100 and this new LCD. Which one should I keep?

I love my PG9100 but the MT1045 is super bright

Thanks

Thuan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.