AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im 22 years old, im watching the kinectimals gameplay and it looks pretty cool, i already have kinect sports and dance central which are both AWESOME , should i get kinectimals or i wont like it and its aimed for kids?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Aimed at kids and not aimed well even at them! Avoid avoid!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/19561767

Aimed at kids and not aimed well even at them! Avoid avoid!

I agree with that. It is a kids game, but you have to be able to read (and understand) the prompts. Example is when you are told to make your pet perform tricks it will show "jump", "sit", and "play dead" on the side of the screen. My daughter could probably figure out those words if given enough time, but it is unlikely that she could do it in the time needed for the game.

Instead she just does whatever she wants until time runs out. It keeps her busy, but you must be able to read to understand what much be done to "win". It would have been much better for the little flying helper to appear and say what must be done during the timed events. However, there are still some games that will list the tricks and you must memorize them in order and then perform them in that order to win. So now the game has moved on from just being able to read to reading and memorizing.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Kinectimals is a pretty odd game.

The overall feeling of the game is for children, with the cuddly animals, and basic activities you play throughout the game. The odd thing is, it's loading times, some of it's prompts, and even the games are either too long - or too complex - for most children. From my perspective, it's sweet spot is probably 7-10 year olds.

My cousin and I played it together (she's 28, I'm 38), and we found it more fun to do it that way than to play it alone. As an adult, playing it alone is too basic...and slow...to really keep my attention. At 22 I'm guessing you'll have the same reaction that anyone over the age of perhaps 10 or 11 will have, that it's initially interesting, then slow, then dull due to how basic it is.

Not that it's a bad game at all. It's just an odd game. It's almost like they kept tweaking the game and how to play it through it's development process, which made it come out not sure who it should appeal to. Anyway, if you're really itching to own it, go for it, I don't think it's a game that you'll hate. If anything, you may just get bored of it and use it as a "show" tool for people who come by.

I had most of my family visiting for Thanksgiving, and when I put it in as a demo, it did get it's fair share of ooh's and aah's, primarily because of the cuteness. But after 15 minutes, we had Dance Central in which was the crowd pleaser.

-JR

·
Registered
4,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/19564737

where did u get a kinectimals demo? thanks for the suggestions btw guys.

Whoops, what I meant was that I was showing Kinectimals to my family as a demo of what the Kinect can do. I have the full version of the game, not a demo. I don't know of any demo for Kinectimals.

-JR

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I agree with what has been said here. My kids and 8 and 11 wouldn't stop playing it last night. Me I thought it was cute and neat but held no interest for me.

Sat night we did Dance Central and Kinect Sports and those were great. Only complaint with DC was that I did not see a way for 2 people to dance at the same time (maybe I missed it). There is the Dance Battle but that alternates between players. Sports was great and my arms were good and sore after Volleyball and Boxing.

Overall I do think Kinectimals is geared towards younger kids though so be aware of that going in if you get it. If you are doing a B1 get one for 1/2 price its probably worthy of the 1/2 price dollar amount.

Greg

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS /forum/post/19721704

I agree with what has been said here. My kids and 8 and 11 wouldn't stop playing it last night. Me I thought it was cute and neat but held no interest for me.

Sat night we did Dance Central and Kinect Sports and those were great. Only complaint with DC was that I did not see a way for 2 people to dance at the same time (maybe I missed it). There is the Dance Battle but that alternates between players. Sports was great and my arms were good and sore after Volleyball and Boxing.

Overall I do think Kinectimals is geared towards younger kids though so be aware of that going in if you get it. If you are doing a B1 get one for 1/2 price its probably worthy of the 1/2 price dollar amount.

Greg

+1 I have a seven yr old girl, and she loves it, but definitely not for me. Dance Central on the other hand.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Picked it up for my three year old. It is a little too advanced for her yet. She is starting to recognize words here and there, so I think she will be able to play with it pretty soon. She seemed to really like the beginning where she was just petting the animals, so I think she will really like it when she can use it better.

I think another big issue with it is that menus bore the kids. She is a busy three year old and wants to play...now. She does seem to have time to deal with the menus, so she loses interest pretty quickly. Again, that will get better as she gets older so it will probably just get put on the shelf for now and brought back out every few months to see if she is ready.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Echoing the choir: it's an excellent game, but only if you're 7-12 years old. If you're desperately curious, just rent it. IMO it's one of only two Kinect titles that's worth playing at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.