AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying one of these, just worried about all the trouble some people are having. It seems like i see a new complaint everyday or two about these tv's. Are any of you new owners having trouble. Am i just overeacting to the old do a good job for one person, he might tell one person, do a bad job and he'll tell ten.

Models i'm considering. 73737 : 73837

Replacing Sony 55" HDTV RPTV.

Would be sitting 12 to 14 ft from.

Would like to have one of these big screens, but i would buy Panasonic plasma V-10 if you think there is a problem with these tvs.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon24 /forum/post/17043315

I'm considering buying one of these, just worried about all the trouble some people are having. It seems like i see a new complaint everyday or two about these tv's. Are any of you new owners having trouble. Am i just overeacting to the old do a good job for one person, he might tell one person, do a bad job and he'll tell ten.

Models i'm considering. 73737 : 73837

Replacing Sony 55" HDTV RPTV.

Would be sitting 12 to 14 ft from.

Would like to have one of these big screens, but i would buy Panasonic plasma V-10 if you think there is a problem with these tvs.

BigJon if you can afford going with the Panasonic(58" I'm guessing) I would recommend going that route. We had a Mit's57732 and replaced it with a Elite 151 and very very happy with it.

We were going to wait for the 58'V10 (or ay least it was the front-runner) but they made us an offer on the 151 that was to good to pass up(few $100 more than the V10).

You lose alot in size but the PQ is outstanding on the V10,at least in my opinion.

If you can go to the store and try to simulate the distance with another 58" plasma and see if your ok with it.

We liked our Mit's but we called in for service to the warranty company because picture was getting fuzzy(I thought all it needed was the lens or mirror to be cleaned) but they decided to just replace it. We have had to replace the bulb twice and the light engine once but it was all under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SUPERMANROB.

After seeing the Mit's again tody ,I believe the 58" V-10 is the way to go.

Bestbuy only had a G-10 on display and will have to order the V-10 if i want it now. I might wait to see if i can get it a little cheaper around Labor Day. Might would even go with the 65" if the price is reasonable.You just can't beat the PQ of the plasma's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You could almost buy 3 Mitsubishi 60737's for the price of one Panny V-10. You won't have problems with image retention on the Mits, and you could even get the 65737 or 73737 for less. You might have to buy a new lamp for $99 in 2 years. With a plasma, once if fades or has image retention/burn-in, you have to buy a new TV.

Plasma's nice. It's not worth that jacked up price for such a disparity in screen size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the 73737 and 82837 today. The picture on the 82837 looked better than the 73737 picture.Iwould be getting the 73837 if i got one.They didn't have a 73837 on display. They sold all their 73837's over the weekend. They said they sold over 40 (Diff models) total. I can get the 73837 for a couple hundred more than the 58" V-10. I'm realy worried about all the problems i keep reading about on this and other forums with the Mitsubishi DLP's. Do you have one of the Mit's. If so ,what model and have you had any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been debating between DLP and plasma myself. I think I've made my mind up and am going with the DLP even though I really wanted to go with a plasma (even bought the wall mount already). I really don't see how a plasma display is so "superior" to a DLP that it's worth spending hundreds of dollars more for a smaller set. I've been "torturing" myself for months over this decision with constant trips to Fry's and BB doing comparisons. My mind was made up when I was thinking that once I got used to watching movies on a 58" or even a 65" plasma a little voice in my head would constantly be asking "I wonder what it would be like to be watching this movie on a 73" dlp?" Besides I think the only reason I really wanted a plasma was because they look so awesome mounted on the wall. That's a pretty lame reason imo..

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon24 /forum/post/17055582

I saw the 73737 and 82837 today. The picture on the 82837 looked better than the 73737 picture.Iwould be getting the 73837 if i got one.They didn't have a 73837 on display. They sold all their 73837's over the weekend. They said they sold over 40 (Diff models) total. I can get the 73837 for a couple hundred more than the 58" V-10. I'm realy worried about all the problems i keep reading about on this and other forums with the Mitsubishi DLP's. Do you have one of the Mit's. If so ,what model and have you had any issues.

no doubt for the size/price ratio the dlp is still the way to go. But as you read and know they have huge repair/reliability issues compared to other tv tech. SO YOU BETTER DANG WELL GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY WITH A MITS DLP! (Jus't don't overpay for the EW like at BB). My Mits dlp is in the repair shop right now. It will cost me $350 in labor charges and Mits has to cover $475 in parts. Mits is giving me a 1 year warranty on the repair but I fully expect it to break down again due to the cheap capacitors and poorly engineered design on the Mits dlp models.

The larger plasmas are still coming down in price. bb has the new 65" panny s10 for $2700 thats a pretty good deal for a just released model 65" panel.

Buy a big plasma

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:

I have a 65737. I have not had a single issue. I went into the service menu and fiddled around a bit, and played with the geometry just for ****s and giggles, but really - out of the box this TV looked pretty much perfect. And it was $1299. for a 65" 1080p HD set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bigjon i got a mits 73837 form abt.com for $2199 price match from us appliance and a 4yr warrnty for $249 total 2448 plus 90 for white glove delvery. Now someone on the boards recently paid 2105 for a 73837 from abt.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm 13 -14 ft from screen. I'm also a little off center of the tv, fireplace in between two recliners. About 1 1/2 feet. Room is about 10'6" by 17'8".

When i saw the 73737 'it looked like the players on ESPN HD (Football) had fuzz around the edges of their uniforms. I guess this is what you call noise? The 82837 looked alot better. Ican get 73837 and ext. warranty(5 year total) for about 3000. I can get the 65837 For about 2300 with the same 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew79 /forum/post/17055601

Besides I think the only reason I really wanted a plasma was because they look so awesome mounted on the wall. That's a pretty lame reason imo..

Yep.

For very large screen sizes, wall mounting becomes progressively harder(due to weight) and makes less of a visual difference (since the screen will extend closer to the floor if located at the ideal height).

I have a 61" LED DLP and most visitors to my house assume that it is plasma or LCD until I tell them otherwise. I only hint at how little I paid for it.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon24 /forum/post/17063240

I can get a 65837 for 1900. Do you think its worth 600 more for the 837. Thats without ext warranty. Is the PQ any better on the 837.

Try to price match for 1700. That's the price I got from ABT before I eventually canceled my order.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon24 /forum/post/17064767

I'm 13 -14 ft from screen. I'm also a little off center of the tv, fireplace in between two recliners. About 1 1/2 feet. Room is about 10'6" by 17'8".

When i saw the 73737 'it looked like the players on ESPN HD (Football) had fuzz around the edges of their uniforms. I guess this is what you call noise? The 82837 looked alot better. Ican get 73837 and ext. warranty(5 year total) for about 3000. I can get the 65837 For about 2300 with the same 5 year warranty.

You should be able to get a better price on the 73837. 2199 is the lowest I've seen and I know the warranty wouldn't bring the price up to three grand.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:

HI:

I have the 82837 dlp. This is my 3rd Mitsu. This replaced the 73833.

If money is not the problem, and space is no issue, go with the 82837 or 73837.

I am happy with the TV. The 837 is very quiet and cool, I can hardly hear the noise.

gto.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I believe cashback from Ebay using Bing is currently 15% and the lowest price I see for the 73837 is 2166.00 So if you don't mind waiting 60 days for your cashback that would bring the price for the 73837 down to 1841.00. Delivered...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
BigJon24--

If you can get an 837 from a bricks and mortar retailer you trust and has a good reputation for service, I'd say go for it. That way if you do have an issue immediately, you can get it addressed promptly and with minimum hassle. If you are planning to buy from an online retailer, with all the hassle of shipping back and forth, or even possibly they won't accept returns at all and you have to deal with warranty maintenance --or you just have no patience for dealing with an issue on a new piece of equipment, then I think your peace of mind might be better served looking elsewhere.

I have a 60737 I got from a b&m store --no issues with it, but I had that comfort of dealing with a local retailer. The 2009 Mits DLPs initial out-of-box experience is absolutely a bit spotty as of now. Anyone who tells you different isn't being honest with you.

I love mine (had it for about three months). If you do have a problem set it is likely you'll know it in the first 1/2 hr, or the first two days at the latest. You have to weigh that possiblity, and your own tolerance for dealing with a situation if you have one (and no one can judge that for you but you), against the fantastic value these sets are when you get a good one.

I personally wouldn't buy one of these from an online retailer, even at a several hundred dollars savings --that's based on *my* toleration for dealing with a situation. I have some, but not a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The store it would be coming from has been selling Mits for over 20 years and has their own repair men in store. They do sell alot of them. As i said in an above post, they sold over 40 this past weekend. I think I'll order the 65837 tommorow. Probaly get it friday.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.