AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty old 56" Zenith Inteq just crapped out on me. Since I'm a TV addict, I'm in desperate need of a new display ASAP. I'm strongly considering the new Samsung HL-R6178W. I saw one at the store the other day and the picture looked great. I'm a bit concerned, though, about the lip sync issues that some are having. I'm also wondering if I would be doing myself a disservice by not waiting for the new 60" SXRD sets to come out. Will they be that much better than the DLP sets? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
134 Posts
i would wait for 2 reasons:

1. the SXRD sets, even if they are half as good as people expect them to be, should be awesome!

2. you could find out what life without having a TV is like!! (please PM me when you find out....am real curious)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
When the SXRD sets come out something else will be "right around the corner". There will always be something to wait for so I always say buy when you get the urge instead of just waiting.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

motomoto said:
SXRD... even if they are half as good as people expect them to be, should be awesomeQUOTE]WHAT...for $4000 you would be happy with half as good :confused: I have some property to sell in FLA give me a call :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went back to the store to take another look at the Samsung. Unfortunately, this time I made the mistake of comparing it to the 70" Qualia. It wasn't even close. The Sony absolutely blew it away (and it better for that much money). Now I feel as though I have no choice but to wait for the new SXRD models. Given the fact that they will be using newer generation chips than the current Qualia, my expectations are pretty high.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
The Qualia is considered the best HDTV on the market. It should be, for $13000. Will the new $4000 SXRD be just as good? I sincerely doubt it. The difference will likely be the same as you saw between the Qualia and the DLP. Compared with DLP, I expect the SXRD to be pretty close, and just come down to personal preference. Mike is correct. As in computers, there will always be something "better" coming out soon.

·
Registered
387 Posts
gweempose,

It really boils down to how long you can go without a TV :) There will truly always be something around the corner, and waiting for it can go on forever. Spend some more time with the 6178. Take your time and use your own DVDs. Tweak with the menu and see if you can get it to a picture quality you like. Don't stop there, either. Find some other sets you like too. Take a look at the new JVCs. If you like the Qualia, go take a look at the Brillian 65" LCOS set. Get a real feel for what you like and what you don't.

Hope that helped some. There are so many great sets out there now, and coming out soon, I am sure you will find "the one". Feel free to give me a call if you ever have any questions.

1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.