AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some opinions. I have a Sony 65" KP-65XBR10W and very interested in the Sony HD-100 receiver. Only Sony brand. This tv doesn't have digital DVI/HDCP/Firewire inputs. Should I wait to get a new sony hd receiver if they come out with dvi one? Most likely they won't put dvi digital inputs on our tv's now so we'll be screwed anyways.

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why would you continue to support a manufacturer that does not support the consumer? I own a 57" and a HD-100, and I will not continue to support a brand that does not support their end users. My feelings may change if they ever decide to provide a response to the question of upgradability.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same 57" XBR and HD100 and Sony will not respond to my email requests. They could care less and I WILL never buy Sony again!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have had the HD-100 since April and can report that it and Sony are a pile of crap. You don't have to get to 5C issues, it doesn't work on a variety of levels.

Maybe Zeneth later?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Distorted:
I have had the HD-100 since April and can report that it and Sony are a pile of crap. You don't have to get to 5C issues, it doesn't work on a variety of levels.

Maybe Zeneth later?
Yep, forgetting about the copy issues, as a first time purchaser of a high end sony product, I thought this wasn't very good and doesn't bode well for their future products; additionally, Sony support denied any knowledge of dropout problems for months. It's hardly unusable, but of the present crop, I wouldn't buy one again (expensive, noisy, and still with software issues). As to the issue of output/input connections, I'd definitely wait a month or two to see what happenes with the release of the Mits and JVC D-VHS units for recording HD; or else, find a very cheap STB such as a DTC100 or a used HD100.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please search thru past threads including several of mine. It should describe various problems SAT-HD100 has. Here's summary of my experience:

1) The fan noise is loud and won't turn off with power off. That is, the fan is always on unless you physically unplug the power. I found it that I can't sleep in a same room with unit on.

2) There are various picture problems which are well documented here.

3) It has the slowest remote response I've ever seen in electronics product. You press a button and the cursor will move 1 full second later.

4) Because I don't have DirectTV, Sony service folks refuse to honor my warrantee. They told me if I don't have DirectTV, can't get the SW fixes - and I even offered them to ship mine back for service.

Needless to say, I've returned the damn thing and won't buy another product from Sony.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I guess since (almost) every response to your question about the HD-100 was incredibly negative, I'll offer a different perspective. The only real (remaining) negatives are:

1) No *non* satellite program guide info (when is Sony going to fix this?)

2) You basically can't use the VGA output (I use component)

3) The fan is too loud for a consumer electronics product (I removed mine and have been *quietly* running 24/7 with no problems for several months now)

Balance this with the positives:

1) GREAT audio and video in all modes

2) The *only* STB with a (real) front-panel display

3) Easy to use--integrates all *3* inputs (cable/SAT/OTA)

Having said all that, I don't see why anyone would buy the HD-100 without utilizing the satellite capability; I've probably watched more HBOHD than OTA HDTV (though that may change this fall) and there are other STB's that just do OTA (for cheaper?).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just bought the HD-100 last week and very satisfied with the box. The fan runs, but can only be heard if you are standing a foot away from the box. I have had no delay problem with the remote. I use VGA, but shift the picture to the left to compensate; Picture is centered. I guess I am the only one happy with the Sony.

---Andy

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No,You aren't the only one happy with it. I have had mine since March and, after the initial problems were fixed, I am very happy with it. Great picture and it works well with my Sony HS10 RPTV.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do you characterize your remote performance?

I have an early unit that is working OK, but the remote is soooo damn slow.

Matt

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find the remote speed on par with other devices. I do notice moving into the antenna check menu to select Digital antenna delayed by a second, but I don't have an access card or DirecTV setup on this box. At this time I only use it for HDTV reception. The default antenna selection is a DirecTV transponder, so it may be delayed because it cannot find the signal from the dish. Other than than one menu section, other menu items and channel speed are fine.

---Andy

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
I have 4 of the HD-100's and generally like them- I have gone thru the drop out problem and removed the fans- I don't think there is anything significantly better out there right now- but there is certainly much that could be done to improve it next time around

·
Registered
211 Posts
After some extensive research on the web (and on foot), I found the Sony box not to have as good a picture quality as as the Panasonic TUHDS20 (that's the one I ended up buying).

And after all, isn't picture quality the reason we are all HT enthusiasts to begin with?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Way to go hdguy! I had a HD-100 and returned it for the TU-HDS20, the Panny is, without a doubt, superior in video quality, and audio for that matter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the HD-100 hooked-up to my 65. The picture is the best I've seen and the most natural in the market, IMHO.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
425 Posts
I almost replaced my Tosh DST3000 with the Sony box due to issues I was having with my KP65xBR10W. The set would go black whenever it recieved a bright signal (eplosions, etc) from the Tosh box and Sony was trying to blame it on my box. They said the only STB they garuntee compatibility with was there SATHD100. For months I tried to fight with them to fix the set. They finally modified my set and now it kinda works better. ANYWAY, don't get a Tosh box unless you want the same problems....the SATHD100 is supposedly the most compatible....just my 2 cents

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
619 Posts
As a fan of many Sony products, I can't image anyone buying DirecTV HD products.

You get less HD channels than Echostar/DISH and if the merger goes through.. all the DirecTV receivers will need to be swapped out anyway!

So what's the point?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.