AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well, I'm trying to decide between these two. Both relatively the same price. What do the experts here think? Is one noticeably better than the other in terms of PQ? I understand the B series is the newer models? Or can anyone suggest another 52"+ LCD around the 1500 USD price range I should check out?

p.s.

I don't really care about any gimmicky online features. This TV is for watching movies and some SD content.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
A750, I returned a B530 and for it and it's basically the B550. The B530/550 series have motion problems, color accuracy is poor (red looks orange) and there is forced edge ehancement. The A750 is a much better set IMHO.

·
Registered
584 Posts
A750 by a wide margin!

Unless glare and reflections are issues in your viewing room, this is where the matte screen of the 550 will come in handy. But even if that was the case, I'd still get the 750... and shut the blinds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I received a LN52B550 as a warranty replacement for my DLP. I didn't really want it, but being short on cash, I decided to accept the offer from Samsung. I was very worried about the 550 being a lower end model... but I am going to buck the trend here and say it's a very good set.

The positives :

1) It has a non-glossy screen

2) I was able to fully calibrate the TV using HCFR and a Spider2. The gray scale tracking is dead-on... colors are spot on except for green, which are slightly off on the graphs, but it is not noticble. There are no problems with the reds after adjusting the set (whites were shifted to blue out of the box, and are fine after calibrating).

3) This set appears to drop to 48hz when a 24p source is fed in. This means that there is no 3:2 pulldown required.

4) Blu-ray looks amazing... It's hard to watch a DVD after seeing a good blu-ray on this tv.

5) If you are the type of person that likes to go into the service menu to get the best possible image, there are a ton of settings in there that are not available in the user menu. While it's not a full CMS, it's pretty close.

Negatives

1) The speakers are not very good. If you are a fan of good sound, you will need a set of external speakers.

2) The contrast drops off when viewing off angle. Since the tv swivels on it's base, it's not an issue for me, but it may be an issue if you are wall mounting.

I don't see any of the motion artifacts or color problems other posters are talking about. I don't do serious gaming on the set, just some light Wii time with the kids... and I don't see any problems. I can't compare it to your other options, but I can say that it is a great set... even better if you tweak it.

As to the person comparing the B550 to the B530, I would not believe the comparison. I purchased the service manual for the TV and it covers the 550's and the 540's . The 530's are not covered in the same manual, and are probably significantly different.

All the best - Sean

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread and also sorry that this is a little OT but would you mind elaborating on the TV calibration using HCFR and Spider2? You mention it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanU /forum/post/16940381

2) I was able to fully calibrate the TV using HCFR and a Spider2. The gray scale tracking is dead-on... colors are spot on except for green, which are slightly off on the graphs, but it is not noticble. There are no problems with the reds after adjusting the set (whites were shifted to blue out of the box, and are fine after calibrating).

I actually own the LN52A750 and haven't done any calibration to it nor have I done any firmware updates. On a related note, I also own the 52" Bravia W4100 series and have a 46" Samsung LED B7000 series on the way for my townhouse (left my Samsung and Sony at my family's house).

I'd like to calibrate everything and get them looking 100% - even though it's been a yearish since I've had both TVs

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

go wid LN52B550, as LN52A750 have some frame problem while watching movies as mentioned in some review sites.

LN52B550 is in your budget also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts