AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question for you guys:

Currently, I'm running a HK240 Receiver, B&W 600 bookshelves, LCR 600, and some small surround speakers. I'm contemplating purchasing an amplifier (Rotel RMB 1075) to bring out the most in my speakers (using the avr240 as a preamp, for now). Also, its sort of a long term thing cuz I plan on upgrading to some floorstander speakers within the next year and also getting a seperate processor. ANYWAY, my concern is about tripping the circuit breakers in my house. If I run a receiver AND an amp, will that consume ALOT more power?? My logic tells me NO since only the amp will be powering the speakers so the power consumption transfers from the receiver to the amp. I also have a projector and 32" lcd on the same circuit. Its quite possible that my logic is flawed. Thats why I need your guys' help.

·
Banned
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkwan /forum/post/0

Thanks for your response! I still wonder if my logic is correct or not.

Well seeing that you have another device in the system your going to draw more power. A matter of it being alit more would depend on the amp, but unless its something huge I don't think your going to change much. You may not be using the amps in you receiver but they are still going to get power to them so some of that is still just lost as heat.

My system at moderate volumes only draws an average of 2.6amps with everything on. Without the sperate amps it was 2amps. Now when you get into a loud passage in a movie I get up to around 6 to sometimes 7amps. Where as without them I would only draw a max of around 3.2amps. I'm not sure if that will help you out anymore.

If your worried about an increase in your electricty bill, your probley never going to notice the difference.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Your logic is not incorrect since the amps in your receiver will no longer be drawing much power, but it's definitely not a problem. Using a receiver as a pre with a separate amp will draw a bit more power due to the extra power supplies & whatnot, but it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

In fact, the only way you're even slightly likely to have a problem would be if your home and electric wiring are SO old and poor that you blow circuits on a regular basis, like when you run the coffeemaker and microwave at the same time -- and in that case, you need an electrician anyway. If that's not the case, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I used to have a small recording studio set up in my business partner's basement, in a row home (that's what we northeasterners used to call them, they're "townhouses" now lol) in Philadelphia. This house was at least 30 years old and we KNEW we had electrical problems... Ceiling fixtures that occasionally worked, wall outlets hanging loose (it was a scary place)... But I ran a huge Mackie console with a huge heavy rack mounted 220 watt power supply, a big rack of outboard gear, 3 multitrack recording machines, keyboards, a QSC pro power amp and who knows what else -- all on one 20 amp circuit. It was the only good circuit in the basement, being a newer one they had put in for the washer and dryer, but we never had a problem.

Especially in your system, you are WAY within electrical limits. Those B&Ws are small, efficient speakers and a fairly easy load, and won't draw much power even at high volumes. Plus the 1075 is only rated at 120 watts/channel anyway, not a very power hungry amp. My engineering partner runs a 1095 AND a 1090, plus his big CRT TV, an SVS PB12 Ultra/2 sub (1000 watts) and the rest of his system, on one dedicated 20 amp circuit without a problem, and he's driving Dali Helicon 800s across the front and B&W DM604 s3s for surrounds!

Bottom line is, don't worry, you're fine.

BTW, two small thoughts. One, I have doubts that you'll actually hear much difference on your speakers with a new amp. I'm a huge proponent of overkill when it comes to power amps and using one or more separate amps is never a bad idea. The reasons I say this are that HK receivers have a rep for having excellent built-in amps (haven't heard any of them myself), plus your speakers are so small and efficient that they're probably getting plenty of power from your receiver already. However, if you're considering upgrading your speakers, which I think will make more difference than a new amp, you'll definitely appreciate a separate power amp at that time anyway so it can't hurt to invest in one. (You didn't mention your sub... upgrading to a really good sub might breathe new life into your system too, so consider that.)

My other suggestion is to consider the Emotiva LPA-1 from www.emotivaaudio.com before you spring for the Rotel. Rotel makes very fine amps and they're not at all a bad value, but the Emotiva has got to be one of the greatest values in audio today. I'm very familiar with the Rotels and I own an LPA-1 and I can tell you the Emotiva sounds absolutely as good as the Rotel amps, is built like a tank, and costs a lot less at $500 shipped with a 5-year warranty. Not to mention it's more flexible since it can be used in two different configurations: 125 watts/8 ohms x 6 channels or 125 watts/8 ohms x 5 channels plus 2 x 50 watts/8 ohms x 2 channels. Just something for you to consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks (everyone) for your help on this. I'm actually waiting for the delivery of my HSU subwoofer. I'm pretty excited about this since I'm not presently running a sub. I might hold off on the amp until I actually upgrade my speakers (unless I find some great deal). I just bought the LCR600 2 days ago, so it makes economic sense for me to stick with the current set up for another few months. But, you know how that goes. I'll def. have to do some research on the emotiva amps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb /forum/post/0

My other suggestion is to consider the Emotiva LPA-1 from www.emotivaaudio.com before you spring for the Rotel.

I second this suggestion. I received my LPA-1 on Monday, and after two days of listening (with much more to go to really scope it out) I'm very pleased with the purchase. It is definitely an improvement over the built-in amps of my Denon reciever. And they have another model with 150 wpc coming out next month and one out now with 7 X 200wpc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.