AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that is a good price for a good STB (now that Panny has made improvements to it.) If it is complete (remote, DIRECTV access card, manuals, cables, etc) I would recommend it. Others may disagree.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yesterday I went to my local Best Buy store. They have an open box TU-HDS-20 with no remote for $629.00 After talking a while with the sales guy I got it down to $400.00 plus the 4 year warranty 100, total $500.00

I told him I would think about it. What do you guys think? I already have a DTC-100 coming, maybe I could use the Panny as the second receiver.....which one is better, Panny or DTC-100?

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiophile:
We have a ABT electronics in the Chicago Area.... I bet I would Have to pay tax if it's the same store you suggested.
Check out Tweeter(old Douglas TV store closing) in Naperville. Ask for Greg. Tell him Ken sent ya. They have a few open box Pannys and some rtc dtc-100s as of yesterday...the pannys were 500.00 and the dtc-100s for 299.00.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Panasonic can do 720P and 1080I, the RCA can converts 720P to 1080I. I paid 650.00 for the RCA DTC-100 when it first came out and I still have one in the den. I have a Mits unit in the bedroom with a TV that can do 720P or 1080I. I would buy the Panasonic if I did not have two receivers already.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
P:720P, VGA and Component output.

Thanks for the update.

------------------

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
211 Posts
I own one of the HDS20's and can tell you first hand that the picture quality at every format (luckily, my monitor accepts all formats) is unbelievable.

Now that the early issues of slow menu, etc., are out of the way with the new software, the unit is very competitive in terms of features and flexibility.

I especially like the integrated program guide and all-format output capability.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I know that the Panny can do 720P, but does that really matter if your TV can only do 1080i? I have a Dish 6000 and it also is able to output 720p but I have never been able to use that option with my RPTV

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It only matters if your TV can support 720P.

------------------

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
There were two of the pannys and one of the dtc-100s left yesterday....that store has been getting all of the open boxes from other stores..

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
175 Posts
kippjones:

Do the Panny's have the cards, remotes, etc. - basically, do they have all the parts? Also, do the Panny's have the new software updates on them and if not, how does one get the new update?

Sounds like a good deal for the box if all the parts are there. Thanks for the tip.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Tweeter in Naperville is reporting that they have 1 left with no card. He said the price was $500 but I did not push him on it.

For that price, I'll pick up a new one. My experience with replacing cards or transferring ownership on DSS receivers has not been pretty.

Thanks for the information though. This is exactly the kind of deal I was looking for.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Panny's don't have manuals, HU cards, cables or remotes.

- I found the Manual (PDF) on the internet.

- I have an extra HU Card

- You can get the remote from 1800-Remotes for $75.00 (I called)

- Who cares about some cheap S-Video or Composite cables

I think I'm going to buy one!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Customer Service guys at Panasonic said that all the updates to the units were done via DirecTv. So as long as you are planning to activate the service, you should be good to go on that front.

------------------

"You're young. You've got your health. What do you want with a job?"

·
Registered
708 Posts
I heard that this receiver can do 1080i "Native OR Hybrid"

What exactly does that mean? What is the difference?

Also, could someone please tell me what is the latest software upgrade for this receiver via Direct TV?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.