AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I finally bought our first house and it had a media room in it (new construction). They painted the walls a semi light color and a really light carpet:

Is it worth replacing the carpet and painting the walls? Or is just painting the walls probably good enough? I've just been told a few times that with this light of walls that it will afft the black levels.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
11,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20793595

My wife and I finally bought our first house and it had a media room in it (new construction). They painted the walls a semi light color and a really light carpet:

Is it worth replacing the carpet and painting the walls? Or is just painting the walls probably good enough? I've just been told a few times that with this light of walls that it will afft the black levels.

Thanks for any help!

The ceiling is probably the first place to start (if it is white) and then move on to the walls. The carpet would be the last thing to change if you are concerned about ambient lighting. Of course if you got a light cannon like a BenQ W6000, then you may not need to paint at all

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ceiling is same color as the walls, except the walls have a slight pattern to them (I'm guessing the texture is ok to have?):

I have no problems painting, they only prewired for 5.1 surround, so I might have to mess around in the walls to get 7.1 surround in there anyways. I'm not too keen on having the light carpet in there, and I have to build a riser anyways, so I might just replace the whole carpet too...

For projector, I think I am going to go with the new Sony HW30, no idea on screen yet, probably a 2.35 aspect ratio one, but not sure on brand, gain, etc yet.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
One vote darker everything. The darker you make the room the blacker the blacks will be on the screen. Remember that with a white screen what you see on the screen as black is actually the white screen with nothing shining on it. When you have reflections from the walls and ceiling back to the screen there is something shining on the white and it won't look as black.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I'd definitely paint all surfaces darker. That's a no brainer. You could delay the expense of carpet though by getting a dark rug or remnant to place in the front of the room.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
+1 on darker, when the lights are off you want to "remove" the room as much as possible, and dark ceiling (1st priority IMO) and then darker walls really help.

I've seen many interesting dark combinations on walls/ceilings, do a search and surf here and you'll get good ideas.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'm definetely at least going to paint the walls / ceiling. I might be uncreative and just use black though... I only have a month to plan everything before my father comes to visit for 2 weeks to do this project with me.

Anyone have any carpet recommendations? I went to two local carpet stores and they really didn't have anything that would fit in, in a home theater.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
There is a sticky at the top of this forum called "Show Me Your..." Inside there is a thread for carpet. Browse through there and see what others have done in their space.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I painted my room completely black and was also going to replace the carpet with black carpet. I held off on the carpet and am glad I did as the room is very very dark as it is and the lighter carpet gave a nice contrast. If I do replace the carpet in the future it will be black but with a nice gold design it. But for now I am happy I put the money into my amp and htpc!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, maybe I'll do the painting in black as well, and see how it goes. Just throwing down a dark rug up front to see the difference would be good too.

I might just pull up all the carpeting anyways to build a riser, so I might just replace it, or build riser on top...

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
For carpet, instead of home depot or lowes go to a local carpet shop, a speciality one.

They should have many choices on hand for you to see.

Sure, you may pay more, but you might just find that perfect color/pattern.

Tell them what you are doing, bring in pict of your room, local store helped me and was willing to deal good % deal also.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I recently installed carpet in my HT. Before that it was just bare concrete, and the glare from that was rather obvious. Putting in the dark carpet had a major impact on the picture IMO. Depending on the proximity of the screen to the floor, it could have as big an impact as the light coloured ceiling.

You don't have to have black everywhere, just darker colours will make a big difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts