AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have Denon X2000 and Samsung H6700. They are connected by HDMI ARC (HDMI control on). Watching Freesat/Freeview gives me audio through AVR's speakers just fine, and I can control audio and on/off of AVR using TV remote too.

1) Now, what would be the best way for watching movies from my media server (PC) - connecting to it from TV, and having audio returned by ARC, or connecting by AVR and getting audio and video sent by HDMI? Is there a difference in audio/video quality?

2) From time to time I will want to connect TV as a monitor to my PC (for games etc). Similarly, is it better to connect straight to TV or to AVR (for best quality video/audio and lag).

P.S. I'm thinking that connecting to AVR would give me better quality (but this could be wrong), however the UI for connections is better at TV's side. So if no difference in quality, I would probably prefer connecting to TV. But please let me know what is the best way for quality.

Thanks for replies

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In my TV's manual I found this:

●To listen to 5.1-channel audio from an external device, connect the device to the TV via an HDMI
cable and the device's digital audio output connector directly to the home theatre system.
● A home theatre system that has been connected to the TV using an HDMI cable and an
optical cable supports 2-channel audio only. 5.1-channel audio is, however, available for digital
broadcasts with 5.1-channel audio

Does this mean, that if I connect PC (via HDMI), USB or media server (over network) to TV, and have audio sent back via ARC to AVR, maximum I can get is 2.0 audio (as 5.1 is only for Freesat/Freeview etc.)?

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
Correct. You need to connect PC to AVR. Same goes for all your sources. The only good reason to use ARC is for sound from the apps or tuner on your TV. If control is an issue, get a universal remote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts