AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something around 26, 27 inches, and i'll be sitting a bit over 6 feet from the screen. i'm just realizing, based on that chart on google about viewing distances and resolution, that i'm right on the border between where you get the "maximum" effect of 480p, and "just start" to notice the improvement of 720p.

these posts i'm noticing about widescreen sdefs still delivering quite well has got me reconsidering, perhaps i'm looking at the wrong option. I'm not even going to be watching HDTV, so much as intending to watch DVDs and play other movies through my macbook.

Does a good 480p tv sound like what i should be after then? maybe even 480i?

I know 480p is still way higher than the crappola crt i have now.... would i be able to receive HDTV broadcasts and have them downscaled to 480p, or would i have to stay with the old sdef broadcast.

i'm not comfortable with 480p v sdef - people tell me 480p is not sdef, but it's not hd either - like something in between. but supposed any digital tv that is "sdef" now implies that it is 480p. is this correct?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Any new TV has an ATSC(digital) tuner built in. It's mandatory. So yes, you will receive all HDTV broadcasts and you will receive them as EDTV/480p.

EDTV is considered twice as good as SDTV. And if you get a widescreen EDTV, you'll be getting the true 16:9 ratio of HDTV. Widescreen 480p sets are the perfect display for DVD's because it is the DVD's native resolution. That said, I don't know of many widescreen EDTV's available that aren't LCDs. I would only buy an LCD if it was HD capable. A quality CRT will easily outperform an EDTV LCD in picture quality.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
A single EDTV set beats SDTV and HDTV's SD signal. Most EDTV accept

HD signals and converts them to 480p. EDTV is also not affected by

Congress conversion to Digital TV. Most ED is a Plasma which you can

look from LG to Philips.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still not sure I'm getting it - the toshiba 26DF56 is NOT considered EDTV, correct? It must be 480p, not 480i to be considered so?

Since CRTs are quite flexible when it comes to the concept of a "native" resolution, is not the case then the only step up from 480i is full blown HDTV - that is, 720p, with the ability to switch down to 480p (the real difference being that it's progressive)?

That would mean the idea of finding an EDTV CRT is pretty much a deadend, yes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.