AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a Kenwood from a $650 HTIB several years ago. I don't even remember the size of the driver. Grill doesn't remove. Box is big enough for a 12", but let's say it's a 10", and I can't imagine it is even powered.

Just 2 spring clips in the back for speaker wire.

I have Aperion 6T's coming. I don't know if I should even bother to use this old sub.

I will be running MCACC, so maybe I'll connect it and let the AVR work out the sub. I imagine the 6T's go lower than that 'true' sub.

What would you do?

I will add a sub later. Maybe an Aperion, but leaning towards a SVS SB12NSD right now.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd go with a new sub. Something from SVS, eD, HSU, or Epik. Aperion makes a nice sub too, but a bit pricey for what you get.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts
I doubt if you can connect it. It is a passive sub with speaker-type terminals and all modern AVRs have unamplified, line-level outputs for a sub.

Get a new one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I looked at the specs of your new speakers and agree with you that they are probably better at the low end than your HTIB passive sub. I would leave the sub out and set your reciever to large for the fronts. I have done this in the past with a pair JBL floorstanders and recently with some Paradigm Monitor 5's. The results were actually pretty good. When you are able to add a powered sub set your fronts to small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts