AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So I want to move my equipment to another position to keep it out of sight. When I ran my speaker wire originally I put it behind the baseboard and now that I want to move my equipment I have two choices:

1. Remove the baseboard, run new wire, reinstall/fix the baseboard and repaint it.

or,

2. Extend my current speaker wire to the new location which means I would have to solder two wires together and then use shrink tubing to cover it.

My gut says to run new wire, however my question to all the experts out there is, does it make a big difference connecting two wires together in this fashion?

I know what the easy answer is and I know what the hard answer is, however I do not want to go through all the trouble of removing the baseboard if I do not need too.

Thank you in advance for the responses,

Utnorris

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
A one piece cable is always preferable. But, if doing that is a PITA, soldering on another piece won't make any audible degredation, IMO.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Then don't remove the baseboard. As long as you make a good connection, it'll be just like a single wire.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question. Should I stay with the original guage of 14 or should I go up to 12 guage? The longest run would end up being 79ft.

Thanks,

Utnorris

P.S. I read the FAQ at the begining of this thread and it states 14 or 16, I am just looking for some opinions on this.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemical_head /forum/post/12878720

One more question. Should I stay with the original guage of 14 or should I go up to 12 guage? The longest run would end up being 79ft.

Thanks,

Utnorris

P.S. I read the FAQ at the begining of this thread and it states 14 or 16, I am just looking for some opinions on this.

How long will the extension be? 12 ga (vice 14) won't hurt anything, but if it's only a small part of the total run it won't make much difference. 80ft is pretty long for speaker wires.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am estimating the extensions will be 25ft each.

Thanks,

Kemical

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
If you can still get hold of the same cable I'd buy a few more extra meters of it and go with (plan A) the cost of cable these days is daylight robbery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry to be slow getting back. Loooooooong day at work yesterday.

Adding 25 feet onto a run that's already about 50 feet long, I'd go for larger guage (lower number, that is... who thought of this system?) if it 1) doesn't add a ridiculous amount to the cost - you get to define what ridiculous is - and 2) the extra bulk of the larger cables won't cause too many additional hassles.

The will be no degradation due to changing to a larger wire size in the middle of the run.

Copper is expensive these days, but the difference between 50 feet of 14 and 50 feet of 16 is probably still only a few dollars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts