AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With HD media being so big ive quickly maxed out my 2tb drive in my htpc/server. Ive ordered two more 2tb drives for now. I will adding more hard drives as I need them in the future. Seeing as setting up a raid now is out of the question is my best bet setting up a flex raid for this situation?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22248435

With HD media being so big ive quickly maxed out my 2tb drive in my htpc/server. Ive ordered two more 2tb drives for now. I will adding more hard drives as I need them in the future. Seeing as setting up a raid now is out of the question is my best bet setting up a flex raid for this situation?

Thanks guys.

Definitely! As your storage expands, some sort of redundancy is extremely important so you don't lose data in the event of a hard drive failure. The pooling Flexraid provides is also very convenient. There is a free alternative called Snapraid, but it doesn't have an interface and does not provide pooling. I think there is free pooling software out there though. I like Flexraid because it has everything bundled together (parity, pooling, scheduling, etc.), and has a nice interface I can access over the network.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just got Flexraid going in the last few days and it defenitely has given me a ton of peace of mind. Just seeing that email in my inbox every morning telling me my Parity has been succesfully updated makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, you guys talked me into it! I really like the ability to add new drives as I go. Very flexible

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22249437

Ok, you guys talked me into it! I really like the ability to add new drives as I go. Very flexible

I use FlexRaid.

Recommended.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22248514

Just got Flexraid going in the last few days and it defenitely has given me a ton of peace of mind. Just seeing that email in my inbox every morning telling me my Parity has been succesfully updated makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

You to ?? Man , I love to see that mail

Just another quick post to give a "thumbs up " on Flex as well .... LOVE IT !!

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworld  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22250646

Another pooling option is Drive Bender. It is just pooling though.

No, Drive Bender has data duplication as well. You can set it to duplicate all files in your pictures folder, but not duplicate your Blu-ray folder. You don't see the duplication in the pool, it just has a copy on two discs.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The only issue I have with Flexraid is that its basically one guy programming it and doing all the support. Nothing against him, but that means he's getting pulled in a lot of different directions and so he can't respond to support requests as fast as you might expect. I installed Flexraid about two weeks ago and I kept having an issue where when my WHS rebooted, the trial license seems to disappear and hence the drive polling does not start running and my shares are nowhere to be found. I have to re-request a trial license each time, then manually restart the service (and yes I did set the task up to start the service on a reboot). I posted on the forums there and I had to bump it twice before he responded (not mad at him mind you, just the reality of a one man show) and so far no solutions/fixes have been proposed.

Well, last night, I guess my 14 days were up because when I tried to re-request it, it told me the trial period was expired. I went ahead and purchased it to see if maybe adding a real license will fix it, but I don't know (hopefully I'll get the license email by tonight). If it doesn't, I'll try reinstalling. If that doesn't work, hopefully he'll give me a refund and I'll look at other solutions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So most of you guys are using the data protection as well?

Im going to get this going today. Very excited!

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22251771

So most of you guys are using the data protection as well?

Im going to get this going today. Very excited!

IMO that was one of the biggest draws to using Flexraid. Storage Pooling is nice and all but the real draw is one drive being able to back up multiple drives. I know it's not a legit 1 to 1 backup but it still works. Combining everything in a simple easy to use GUI with plenty of features, made it a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

If I understand this correctly one of my two 2tb drives has to be a parity drive, therefor unusable to me for additional storage? I set up the flexraid with my two 2tb drives one a data and one as a parity. One it completed I only had a capacity of 2tb in windows. Is this right? If so, as I my data gets larger and larger do i need to add an equal amount of disk space for parity?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22254671

Hi guys,

If I understand this correctly one of my two 2tb drives has to be a parity drive, therefor unusable to me for additional storage? I set up the flexraid with my two 2tb drives one a data and one as a parity. One it completed I only had a capacity of 2tb in windows. Is this right? If so, as I my data gets larger and larger do i need to add an equal amount of disk space for parity?

That's correct.

Edit: Sorry, didn't really get the details of the last question. Lockdown571 pointed it out. Only need one parity drive for X storage drives.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22254671

Hi guys,

Your parity drive only needs to be as large as your largest single hard drive. You also technically only need one parity drive, so as you add more storage, you don't need to add another parity drive. So you could have ten 2 TB drives for storage, and then one 2 TB drive for parity, and you would have redundancy against one hard drive failure.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
If you are only using pooling then check out Drive Bender. You can pool your two drives and then enable duplication on any important data/folder without giving up a full drive for parity.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do I have to erase/format the data drives when setting up flexraid?? I understand the parity drive will be formatted, but I would like to keep the data drives intact..

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbw  /t/1421746/should-i-flexraid#post_22254833

Do I have to erase/format the data drives when setting up flexraid?? I understand the parity drive will be formatted, but I would like to keep the data drives intact..

No, you don't. That's one of the great things about flexraid.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That was one the strongest motivators for going with Flexrain was the ability to add already populated drives unto the storage pool.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts