AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating between waiting for panasonic g25 46" or just bite bullet on a 42" or 50".

TV will be facing a couch, with about 8.5" distance. However, to the right of the couch there will be a lounge chair also about 8.5" distance, but at 40 degree or so angle (vs. 90degrees for the couch, which is straight in front). My TV stand rotates, and the G25 also can rotate a litlte as well. So my plan is for TV to be not-rotated when only in use by folks sitting on the couch, but to be rotated a little when folks are sitting in the chair.

My concern is an angled 50" may be too large at an angle for the folks sitting in the lounge chair. Even the 46" may be too large, but I figure that is safer move. However the 46" won't be available for some time still, os perhaps I should just bite the 42"

My current tv is 42", but is busted. I also just moved so can't test the TV in the current layout.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtanu /forum/post/18261549

I am debating between waiting for panasonic g25 46" or just bite bullet on a 42" or 50".

TV will be facing a couch, with about 8.5" distance. However, to the right of the couch there will be a lounge chair also about 8.5" distance, but at 40 degree or so angle (vs. 90degrees for the couch, which is straight in front). My TV stand rotates, and the G25 also can rotate a litlte as well. So my plan is for TV to be not-rotated when only in use by folks sitting on the couch, but to be rotated a little when folks are sitting in the chair.

My concern is an angled 50" may be too large at an angle for the folks sitting in the lounge chair. Even the 46" may be too large, but I figure that is safer move. However the 46" won't be available for some time still, os perhaps I should just bite the 42"

My current tv is 42", but is busted. I also just moved so can't test the TV in the current layout.

Covered in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...distance+chart

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX /forum/post/18261581

Covered in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...distance+chart

Thanks for the thread, but I don't think that thread answers my question (please correct me if I am wrong). it is not 1080 vs. 720, or viewing distance of a TV direct on (from my couch), but more whats the right answer/compromise given I will have another lounge seat at a fairly sharp angle to the TV.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Get the 50". Plasma doesn't have viewing angle problems. You could go even larger than a 50". Which the thread link above gets into. I sit 8'-9' from a 50" and I really would like a 58" or even a 65" (which would be a little overkill).

The largest complaint about an HDTV purchase after the fact is = too small. Maybe 1/1000 will say too big and that is usually the wife talking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm with mbyrnes.

I have a 65" Panasonic plasma that my family views from a couch that is about 9.5" away, eyeball to screen, if one sits upright. The couch is L-shaped, so if we have guests some viewers are much closer and at a sharp angle; probably much like your setup.

No problem whatsoever. Sources from DVD (played by an Oppo BDP-83) on up look good from all positions. SD cable looks terrible from everywhere; nothing new there. Does the image quality degrade as I move off axis and closer? Yes, of course. But it is no big deal.

I agonized about screen size before buying the current set - I was upgrading from a still serviceable 50" CRT RPTV and worried about striking the right compromise for seating positions and input sources. I'm now convinced that, for me, I want to optimize for the highest quality source - Blu-Ray - from the main seating position. Making concessions is just not worth it. I think the so-called SMPTE recommendation (a 30 degree subtended angle) is about ideal for me, and happens to give a seating position similar to the 1080 resolution calculation. I'm a bit farther out than that: I'd like to move 1/2 a foot closer, but it will take a small army of people to bring that about.

For you, sitting 8.5' out, I'd opt for 60"+ without hesitation unless there is some other consideration, say aesthetics. (I have no such restrictions; the screen is in a basement room devoted to HT.)

If you get a screen that's too small, it isn't home theater. You're just watching TV.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have about the same distances as you. We just got a 50" plasma to replace a 37" LCD. The 50" screen looked huge in the store, but once we got it home, it is perfect. Anything smaller would be a disappointment for us.

·
Registered
61 Posts
50" for sure. I sit ~14' from my 58" and I think it looks small. Got a 65" coming in to replace it. I have in my other room a 46" LCD for my computer monitor, sitting 4' from it and I don't find it too big
BUT on that LCD even sitting slightly off center the picture gets washed out, and this is not exactly a bargain basement model (Sony Z4100). You don't have to worry about viewing angle on a plasma. I can see my 58" from the next room at a steep angle and it looks just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtanu /forum/post/18261549

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you can accommodate, an articulating wall mount would greatly help your off-angle viewing adjustments. I have the peerless 745P mounted in the bedroom; it's rock solid and responds to adjustment with ease.

closer distance doesn't seem to be a problem with full 1080p resolution. As a previous poster mentioned the only issue you may have is while viewing poor SD content.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. Lifted a 50" G20.. delivered Saturday. new 46" are on pre-order, still a little leery but think 50' will be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts