AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I'm not sure where else to post...

I live in Taylor, Michigan and have Comcast Digital Cable. I currently have 3 HD TV's and an internet connection. When Comcast was out last time about a year ago, I discussed (briefly) adding a TV with them and the technician said something about not wanting to split the signal anymore or I'd run into problems.

Well, I finally finished my basement and added another HD TV down there and need to hook it up. I opened the box on the wall where all of the cable stuff is (the house was pre-wired when it was built) and I found a 4-way splitter. As far as I can tell, the only way to add another TV would be to add a 2-way splitter off of the 4-way splitter, and I have no idea how this would affect the picture quality.

So, my question is, what do I do? Should I call Comcast and have them come out and install what is needed? Can I just add a 2-way splitter? Or should I add a signal booster someplace? If a signal booster is needed, does it replace the current 4-way splitter or do I install it before the splitter? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I would say add the splitter and see if the image is acceptable. If not then add a booster or call comcast and let them install one for you.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronzizzle /forum/post/16953085

If a signal booster is needed, does it replace the current 4-way splitter or do I install it before the splitter?

You can go either way, depending on the particular booster you get. If the booster has only one output, you keep the splitter and insert the booster before the splitter. If the booster has four (or more) outputs, it replaces the splitter. Such units are often called "distribution amplifiers."

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Log into your cable modem (if possible) and report back the signal down stream, up stream and Signal To Noise. The way to login is 192.168.100.1 on most modems. That will give us an idea of how your signal is at your place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts