AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V377, which is 500 watts total (100 per channel). My speakers are 180w max for front L/R, 150w max for the center channel, and 100w max for the L/R rears.

A 700-watt Pioneer (VSX-524-K) has gone on sale for the same price as the Yamaha. Should I exchange my Yamaha for the Pioneer? Would I risk any damage to my lower-wattage 100w rear speakers? Is my current receiver under-powered for my current setup? Thanks.

EDIT: with my current setup, normal TV volume is between -30db and -20db. I usually go around -20db to -18db if I really want to have it crank for an action movie. I don't go above that (too loud).

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Depends

Size of room
Distance from LP to the speakers
Whether you have set the crossover to full-range, or filtered
Volume you listen to
Speaker sensitivity
Speaker impedance.
Current amplifier capability, ie does it crash and burn when 4 ohm speakers are connected, all 5/7 connected etc.

My two sets of front speakers are sensitive at 90/91dB but have low impedance 4ohm and lower. So I have decent amps with a large power supply. Using 100W and 200W amps (into 8ohm) so 150W or so, and 300W into respective 4 ohm speakers.

Ignore the recommended speaker power rating.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I usually go around -20db to -18db if I really want to have it crank for an action movie. I don't go above that (too loud).
rpeters83 said:
So, do you think I need a higher-powered amp?
You already answered your own question... ;)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
That Yamaha is 41W per channel, with 5 channels driven.
Figure 66% efficiency at full voltage output, that's 60W/ch/5ch. Total, 300 watts. In other words, when you compare power ratings of multichannel units, you're really just comparing the power supply rating -- in this case, 300 watts.
So, do you think I need a higher-powered amp?
No.

If you run the numbers on the Pioneer, you'll probably discover it has a 450-watt power supply. Less than 2 dB more overall power, which most people cannot detect. Not...Even...Worth....It.

The "number" you should focus on is not the "power rating" of your speakers, nor the "power rating" of the amplifier. It is the sensitivity of your speakers. It is likely that, whatever loudspeakers you have, there are loudspeakers out there that will produce twice, 4x, 8x or even 16x as much sound with your current receiver.

Having said all that, I don't think you need to worry about any of this, given your stated listening habits.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Generally the marketed rating of an AVR is only in to 1CH or 2CH. The Yamaha V377 is rated 70W @ 2CH so closer to 40-50W into 5CH. The Pioneer VSX-524 is rated 80W @ 2CH so no real difference in power between the two models.
Yes, was going to say what the JDS did. Looked up your model and the 100 watt is with 1 channel driven. My 130 watt per channel Onkyo is 101 watts with 5 channels and 86 watts with 7 channels driven.
On your front stage (L, C, R) being rated up to 180 I highly recommend having
100 watts (RMS watts) to them. Wouldn't be surprised at all if one the speakers in your front stage is damaged, may not completely go out but damaged 1 of mine rated at 150 watts when I didn't know about the marketing deception and had a Yamaha AVR, ha, believe it's the same model you have. Was 250 at best buy. RX 377 or 375, whichever model was new last year. Anyways running the 40-45 watts damaged the 6.5 Uni-Q on the left tower. KEF sent a replacement fast, service has been terrible since on other products but I digress.
Got the Onkyo TX-NR838, but the TX-NR636 was an excellent AVR I had before settling on the 838. Wanted to have preouts so I could add an amplifier in the future. If you
don't expect to need more power for better speakers I highly recommend the Onkyo TX-NR636. If you'd like to have the preouts highlyrics recommend the TX-NR838. Tried Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer before trying Onkyo. The mid-higher priced Yamaha's are the only ones that compared to the quality of Onkyo. The video processing was better than all the others, dual Burr-Brown DAC's do a excellent job, and the good sized transformer with high quality capacitors delivers very good amplification

Outside of that route, I'd recommend power from Emotiva. The ratings on their products
are actually accurate. Great designs, large power supply and reserves low impedance
connections under 2Vrms (so they don't lose there power transferring through AVR'S which majority don't go above 2Vrms) balanced and unbalanced connections that for the
price nothing comes remotely near them with the exception of the new 5 channel released by Outlaw

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Figure 66% efficiency at full voltage output, that's 60W/ch/5ch. Total, 300 watts. In other words, when you compare power ratings of multichannel units, you're really just comparing the power supply rating -- in this case, 300 watts.
No.

If you run the numbers on the Pioneer, you'll probably discover it has a 450-watt power supply. Less than 2 dB more overall power, which most people cannot detect. Not...Even...Worth....It.

The "number" you should focus on is not the "power rating" of your speakers, nor the "power rating" of the amplifier. It is the sensitivity of your speakers. It is likely that, whatever loudspeakers you have, there are loudspeakers out there that will produce twice, 4x, 8x or even 16x as much sound with your current receiver.

Having said all that, I don't think you need to worry about any of this, given your stated listening habits.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-v377-av-receiver-test-bench

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Buy Outlaws new 5000 5 channel Amp and be done with it. Nice clean power with real rating that'll serve you for rest of your life(well until you get atmos and need more channels buy another one).

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've seen Yamaha provide 4ohm power ratings pretty routinely on many of their receivers. This rating is more an exception than a rule when it comes to receivers. You're also more likely to get discrete outputs on a Yamaha compared to lesser receivers which use IC outputs which are more subject to overheating. I'm not sure about this model Pioneer, but would be more likely to trust the Yamaha with my 4ohm speakers than the Pioneer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts