AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between a Mits 65413 or 55413. I have plenty of viewing distance for both. My only hangup is a friend of mine suggested the 55413 because it has the same exact electronics as the 65413 but the 65413 just has a bigger screen. And according to him because they have the same guns the picture quality on the 55413 is better because it doesn't have nearly as big a surface to project the image onto.

Ant thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
My thoughts would be if viewing distance isn't an issue definately go for the bigger size. To my eye I cannot tell a difference between the 55" and 65" as far as picture quality goes but the 65" sure gives you a bigger screen. :D

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
It is true that they have the same guns. However, I find that the 65" picture is more pleasing than the 55". Specifically because the image is bigger with no noticeable degradations (at least with DVD and HDTV).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would have to agree with Marc on this. I have both a 55" and a 65" Mitsu in separate rooms and we seem to enjoy watching the 65" more because it completely has our attention even more. I also don't think Mitsu. would offer a tv if it couldn't look as good as it's little brother, all things being equal. I would only go for the 55" if you won't be getting HD anytime too soon as it doesn't pronounce the potential graininess as much as a 65" can at a closer distance with a standard cable signal. We have local cable and a standard Dish satellite ( until our new HD 811 system arrives ) and the cable loooks pretty bad especially on our 65". We watch both tv's at approx. the same distance for the most part. How far will you be viewing this tv from on the avg. and will you also have HD soon?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can only speak for the 55413 as I just got it. I think it is a great set and will well serve me until the problems with the thin tv's aren worked out if ever. There is a big difference in size though and you really can't tell until it's in your room. I made poster board screens and put them up by our old 44 inch Mits and the 65 would have been overwhelming. Try it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Definately a presonal prefernce issue there. We normally view our 65" sitting between 8 and 10 feet away. Some people would probably say this is way to big at this distance but we would disagree as we truly enjoy it. I guess it's all relative to what you are used to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was talking to my friend again and he said another thing to consider is if both the 55" and 65" have the same guns. Wouldn't the guns on the 65" have to work harder due to the bigger screen?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rustyf7
Was talking to my friend again and he said another thing to consider is if both the 55" and 65" have the same guns. Wouldn't the guns on the 65" have to work harder due to the bigger screen?
Or, could it be the guns were made for the full capabilities for the 65" tv first and just detuned for the 55". I would trust that Mitsu. with there reputation wouldn't make there guns work harder than necessary just to sell a tv.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I noticed that the 55" screens looked brighter than the 65" screens. It could have been the contrast. I ended up buying a 65" anyway (WS-65909). Glad I did. I could not imagine a smaller screen in my room (I sit 16' away).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go 65, after a few days, or weeks, it will shrink, espcecially if you have 10-12 feet to work with, the 65 will be fine. I have yet to see a post where I should have gotten the smaller tv, but I myself wish I'd have gotten a bigger one.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I am leaning towards the 65". I don't want to be wishing later that I had went bigger. I just spoke to the saleman and got him down to $2349 on the Mits WS-65413. Not sure how good a deal this is but its $450 off their asking price.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rustyf7
Yeah I am leaning towards the 65". I don't want to be wishing later that I had went bigger. I just spoke to the saleman and got him down to $2349 on the Mits WS-65413. Not sure how good a deal this is but its $450 off their asking price.
That's a good deal. Most dealers won't budge much from list price on current models (at least in my area).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I appreciate everyone's advice so far. I guess I will go to the store again and watch both. Maybe I will be able to make the final decision.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Get the bigger TV. I have the 65" Mits and am glad I got the larger size. I sit about 12' away. Something to think about when picking a tv is the way HD shows are shot right now. All of the action on sporting events and tv shows takes place inside of a 4x3 frame. Everything looks zoomed out - so it makes your TV seem smaller.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I bought the Mits WS65413. I ended up getting a better deal than I thought. I got the saleman to knockoff $500 so the tv was $2199. And he tried to sell me their 5 year warranty which covers everything for $299 but I didn't take it. I guess they are desperate to sell those warranties because 10 minutes later he asked if I would be interested if it were 5 years for $150. I took that offer cause I thought that was a pretty good deal since it includes calibrations anytime that I want them.

Thanks for everyone's advice on this forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.