AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie. I own a 32 inch SONY XBR that I want to give it to my daughter and replace with a much larger TV. I only watch digital cable. I rarely watch DVDs (1 or 2 per months) and HD will not be available around here (french Canada) for the next several years. My room is 20 X 22. I have very good control over lighting. If I get a projector, it would be used 4 - 5 hours a day. Replacing a lamp every 1 - 2 years would be an annoyance but would not be a deal breaker.

Would I be happy with a Z2 or HS-20 type projector? I want a larger picture without having to sacrifice picture quality too much. Is digital cable picture quality good enough for a projector?

What screen size would be best for me?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, IMO, absolutely not!

I have the Sanyo Z2 and StarChoice DTH satellite service.

The DTH I think would be very similar to your digital cable.

I find it "watchable" all right but really not very good. Sometimes I actually prefer the image on my old 35" RCA tube set.

I would not consider a PJ worth the bulb costs and lighting issues for plebian network TV fare. Not until HD is widely available.

I only direct the DTH signal to the PJ for "special" programmes. :>)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I borrowed a Digital Cable Box last weekend to see if the digital hook up gave me a better picture on my Sanyo Z2. Switching between digital and basic cable there was little difference as with the analog TV I also tried it on. The digital picture was only slightly sharper which is still not that great for watching standard or digital cable on the projector. I decided to sign up for HD which is coming tomorrow to see if the HD is worth getting for the locals and ESPN.

I wouldn't get a projector just for TV as the picture is not that good unless you want to use DVD's a lot more as they look great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a Sanyo with a pretty good scaler in it. Cable doesn't look all that great, but the digital cable channels look pretty good.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The X1 does an good job with standard def satellite or digital cable. I don't know how it compares to an LCD projector, but I think the picture it puts out is pretty darn good.

Actually, my sister bought an Infocus X1 yesterday for a Superbowl party on Sunday. She had seen mine in action over the holidays and was bowled over at the 100" image. The Faroudja deinterlacer in the X1 really does make a difference. Not as good as DVD obviously, but more immersive and enjoyable than viewing on a small TV (most of the time) in my opinion. Especially for sports. I have the NHL center ice package, and I love watching hockey games on my projector. They're standard def and 4:3, but it's still great watching them on a 104" screen. No one who's watched with me has been anything but impressed. I would love for all sports to be in HD but it's going to be a while.

Although I still wouldn't want a projector to be my only video source. If you're only going to watch digital cable, is there any reason to spend more and get the Z2? How does it compare to a cheaper DLP like the X1 for watching cable?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was not impressed with digital cable on my projector. It actually looks better on my rear projection tv (52"). My opinion is that it isn't worth watching on a projector.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wouldn't buy a projector just to watch digital cable.

I just bought an x1 and will use it for superbowl, final round of major

golf, stanley cup playoffs, certain special things but for

everyday viewing I have 36" Hitachi.

When you look at the price of bulbs, which most last 2000 hours, it

just doesn't seem very economical.

If you plan on 5hrs a day you will be buying an new bulb every 1.5 years,

approximatley, and in Canada they run 4-5 hundred a pop. I just noticed

this doesn't seem to be an issue.

I would just make sure you can return the projector if you aren't

happy with the picture after watching 4-5 hrs of digital cable.

I have Rogers digital and agree with the old adage "garbage in, garbage

out". Some channels just aren't good.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would think you'd be happier with a big screen HDTV rear projection set 50" or 60", either a DLP (like Samsungs) or LCD (like Sony or Panasonic)model. I have a LCD front projector which looks great on hdtv and pretty good on most digital stations but not all. There's quite a bit of variance on the quality of shows on digital cable, because movies and some tv shows can look good, while local news, taped shows and older programs can look poor. If you don't watch dvd's much and won't have hdtv anytime soon, a projector would not be the best option for you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quote:
If you plan on 5hrs a day you will be buying an new bulb every 1.5 years,

approximatley, and in Canada they run 4-5 hundred a pop. I just noticed

this doesn't seem to be an issue.
The bulb for the X1 is $299 in the US, and it's rated at 4,000 hours (do they actually last that long?). The way I look at it, even at that rate it's only a couple hundred bucks a year. That's still way less expensive than buying a LCD or DLP TV. Way less.

Then again, I bought a 65" TV (CRT) a couple years ago, so I'm not one to criticize purchasing a big screen TV.

Regarding buying DLP or LCD TVs, are their black levels better than what you see on a projector screen? Because if not, then I think I'd stick with a CRT TV for the time being if I was going to buy a new set. That's the best thing about watching TV compared to a projector IMO. Otherwise I'd rather watch TV with a projector if I still had to put up with poor black levels since at least the screen would be large.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My X-1 does Adelphia digital so well that I have a hard time telling that movie channels aren't coming off from a DVD. There is a marked improvement over analog channels, even channels that are fed to my local system digitally then converted are sharper than those broadcast in analog.

I have yet to find anyone that thinks their RPTV is better, especially when I bring the picture down from 10' diagonal to 6', They just can't compete with the viewing angle and sense of being there!

I have 1300 hours in 9 months.

DG

·
Registered
950 Posts
One trick I found was if you run the cable through a good dvd recorder like the Sony, the line-doubled component output is very watchable indeed.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You can always use Pass through mode, you'll get a smaller image but at least it looks better. That's the only way I can watch SD material on my 2HD. If I have a badly mastered DVD I will watch it in Pass through as well, then it's not so blurry.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,677 Posts
My digital satellite signal looks pretty good through my BenQ 8220 FP. But it does not look as good as it does on my 27" Sony WEGA TV, at least at 100". If I were you, and wanted the best possible display for digital cable, I'd go with one of Samsung's DLP sets as it does not have the burn-in issues that plasmas have (a real issue when you plan to watch a lot of TV) and as it does not have the pixel burn out issues that LCDs have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I watch TV on my X1 about 1-3 hrs a night, 5 days a week. It certainly doesn't look as good as DVD or HDTV but still looks pretty darn good to me and I'm using a Tivo. My old 32" Sony which I kept in the room when I got the X1 rarely ever gets turned on anymore. I don't really get how people think cable is so unwatchable. Maybe they are just a lot more picky than me. Bulb life is not a concern of mine. I put about 400 hours on it since July so by they time the bulb goes I'll want to upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a given that cable and satellite will not compare to DVD for quality, but if you get a projector or not is just preference. My z2 on a hi-power screen is very watchable. I also watch mainly "plebian" network stations, but I love the big giant 106" picture as opposed to my 61" rptv. I, personally, would sacrifice a bit of the quality for the size.

I do want to improve my tivo image, so I ordered a Briteview scaler. It's a DVDO competitor, but goes beyond 480P up to 720P and 1180i. I will post my results and let you know how much it improves the image.

Don

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now I have got my new HD 6200 box I would like to change my comments above.

I do not know if it's just the 6200 box or they have activated the digital signal which I had thought was the same for standard cable. The digital picture is really good on all stations and HD is lot better. I am sure you would be happy with digital service on a big screen if you have good cable service and connections.

Only problem I have to sort out is a slight crackling noise from the surround speakers when the digital channels are on but not with HD or the music ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.