AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 75" Samsung and sit about 7-8 feet away from the screen. While this is great, I've always found myself wanting more.

Ideally I'd like a 100-150 inch screen. Would a projector make sense? My budget is around $2000k CAD. I don't game and usually just stream 4k movies/tv. If I do game again it will likely just be the new Zelda for switch.

The biggest issue i can think about is sunlight. I do a lot of daytime watching and my apartment gets a lot of ambient light (from behind the TV). Is this a killer?

Would a projector work in my scenario? I've attached some photos of my place. I do intend to sell the tv should I get a projector.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Only if you want to block those windows entirely and watch in the dark.

Reactions: Russell Burrows

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your room is way too bright and far from ideal for a projector set up. Your best chance is an ust projector like the Fengmi C2 + an ALR screen. You will still need to draw the curtains or even better close the blinds for optimal results. IMHO, you will be better off with a 85-86" flat LCD panel for such bright daylight conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Только если вы хотите полностью лишиться солнечного света))

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
There are a couple of things to consider.

As mentioned, having the sun in the room is going to be a major factor.

Projectors are designed for use in dark rooms. You completely destroy image quality when you introduce even a small amount of light into the room, let alone sunlight.

The room color is also problematic. What was the last movie theater you went to that had big white walls everywhere? Yeah, never.

IMO though, a huge issue is the viewing distance and screen size. There is nothing wrong with a 130"+ diagonal. But, most people tend to find that anything more than about 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance can be quite uncomfortable to watch. To feel what that is like, if you are sitting 7' away from your 75" diagonal, move your eyes so that they are 3.5' away from the screen and watch a couple of hours of streaming from that distance. If you find that to be overly large and in your face, then 150" would be just way too big.

With 7', I wouldn't go larger than a 100" diagonal.
If you aren't going to deal with your ambient light and consider painting the space, I would probably stick with the TV.
If you still want to go that route, then I would get a UST projector and a ALR/UST screen to go with it... Which is going to be well over $2,000.

Most things lead me to suggest that you just hang onto your TV for a while.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A projector may offer a better viewing experience for the entire area albeit you use a bright projector and a pull down or electric drop down screen. The projector and screen combo will feature higher placement than your current T.V. and may help you retain the natural light of the window when not in use. I personally prefer fixed screen setups but in your situation that will require sacrificing those windows which im not sure your willing to do. My philosophy has always been work with what you have and amend when you can. Whites walls/ceiling are not ideal for a projector setup. If you can paint a wall a darker color great, if not, find a combo that will best fit your area. Keep in mind that optimum viewing will come with the lights offs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your room is way too bright and far from ideal for a projector set up. Your best chance is an ust projector like the Fengmi C2 + an ALR screen. You will still need to draw the curtains or even better close the blinds for optimal results. IMHO, you will be better off with a 85-86" flat LCD panel for such bright daylight conditions.
Thank you. Is there something similar to the Fengmi C2 that's available in Canada?

I will look at pull down shades for the apartment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thank you. Is there something similar to the Fengmi C2 that's available in Canada?
If you go down that road, you can look for any ALPD 3.0 ust projector available in your country. The original Vava comes to mind. However, the C2 is the contrast king right now for UST DLPs. Paired with an 0.6 fixed frame ALR, you should get good results at night and decent during the day. However, closed curtains or even better closed blinds remain a necessity in both cases.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts

I will look at pull down shades for the apartment.
The Fengmi is a UST (Ultra Short Throw) projector. There are dozens of them on the market now. They tend to be from about $2,000+ in price. But, a ambient light rejecting (ALR) ultra-short throw (UST) projection screen quickly increases the price.

Vava, Optoma, Epson, BenQ, Samsung, LG and others all make versions of UST projectors.

·
Administrator
21,938 Posts
If you can get some serious light control combined with a projector with enough lumens, anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Don't forget the noise from the fan with projectors. Especially in your price range. 85 inch tvs are dropping in price. Save up

·
Registered
499 Posts
A full height and full wall black out curtain aren't expensive. It'll actually look good too for the room. Add a short throw projector and you're all set. Total investment may be a bit more than $2k but you should be able to get this done for under $4k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can definitely get better curtains / roll down ones. Would that make more sense? A lot of people are saying to just get a bigger tv.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A full height and full wall black out curtain aren't expensive. It'll actually look good too for the room. Add a short throw projector and you're all set. Total investment may be a bit more than $2k but you should be able to get this done for under $4k.
Is this a better option than a bigger tv?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is this a better option than a bigger tv?
Depends on how much screen real estate you want.
"Bigger TVs" max out at ~85" and are going to work better in your room if you don't plan on using black out curtains

If you do plan on using some light control, then maybe a UST so you can get a bigger screen

The problem is the sunlight and a projector can't project the absence of light, ergo your contrast is limited to how dark you can get your room.

Darker gain ALR screens can help, like a silver screen but then you are dumping even more lumens into it.

This is why a lot of the first advice you are getting is to darken the room, if you can't or it's not feasible then a TV is a better option.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
First of all, if I understand your budget, its around $1,617 US (2,000 Canadian) That won't get you a projector and a screen - - at least anything that resembles quality. For grins - see below.

It looks like the biggest screen you could do, projector wise, is around 100". That's for a regular PJ like the BenQ TK700STi that works well with ambient light. Now - - I have both, a 100" electronic screen (with a regular projector) that goes over a 75" Sony TV. But it's in my basement with no direct sunlight. You have a totally different situation. You could try a UST Projector but I'm afraid you wouldn't be happy with the performance - - especially with your light conditions. And, for a drop down screen, you might have to get rid of those curtains and install shutters. Also keep in mind - - even with a 100" drop down screen, you need to take in account the height of your speakers. That can block the view when your projector screen is fully extended.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd look at a larger TV - - especially with a tighter $2K Canadian budget. From 75" to 83" or 85" would still be a noticeable gain in screen size. And, it would fit into you existing decor. Budget is going to be an issue but more so for any projector setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I currently have a 75" Samsung and sit about 7-8 feet away from the screen. While this is great, I've always found myself wanting more.

Ideally I'd like a 100-150 inch screen. Would a projector make sense? My budget is around $2000k CAD. I don't game and usually just stream 4k movies/tv. If I do game again it will likely just be the new Zelda for switch.

The biggest issue i can think about is sunlight. I do a lot of daytime watching and my apartment gets a lot of ambient light (from behind the TV). Is this a killer?

Would a projector work in my scenario? I've attached some photos of my place. I do intend to sell the tv should I get a projector.

The short answer, for $2k Canadian and in that room, no. At best, get an 85".

·
Registered
319 Posts
I can definitely get better curtains / roll down ones. Would that make more sense? A lot of people are saying to just get a bigger tv.
I say again the tv is the hassle-free choice for your living room. 85" VA panel for better contrast, 86" IPS for better viewing angles. If you still insist on the ust choice, you will have to go up at least to a 3000$ budget and put roll down shades like the ones shown in the following video (2:53-3:15):

XGIMI Aura | A NEW 4K Laser Ultra Short Throw Projector That Can Replace Your TV | Incredible Value - YouTube

1 - 19 of 19 Posts