AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering buying a ST30 tomorrow, until I read about the fluctuating brightness issues, and this weekend is no sales tax day.. So should I still consider getting it? Or would it be a waste of money.

·
Registered
809 Posts
the fluctuating brightness issues are now gone if you buy a st30 and it has

fluctuating brightness you call up panny and they send a tech to your house

and he fix's the fluctuating brightness issue he had a sd card and he flashes

the main board or bios and this get rid of the fluctuating brightness issues.

i have a st30 and its an awesome tv

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If you wait a month or so, or maybe even a few weeks, these sets will have the new board with the FBr fix already installed, so you won't have to hassle with calling a tech out. If it were me, I'd wait until I could be sure I was getting a set with one of the new boards already installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Supposedly any units produced in August are fixed. I am thinking about ordering from the Panasonic EPP program because their sale ends tomorrow. Anyone think I have a chance to get an August Unit, it says it ships in 3 to 5 days so that would be close to 8/20.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn /forum/post/20815597

Supposedly any units produced in August are fixed. I am thinking about ordering from the Panasonic EPP program because their sale ends tomorrow. Anyone think I have a chance to get an August Unit, it says it ships in 3 to 5 days so that would be close to 8/20.

Sure, you have a chance. I got my GT30 on July 18 (purchased on July 16), and it is a July build. But I don't know how the Panasonic EPP program works, i.e., how they source something that is sold in that program. Is there anyone at Panasonic you can talk to?

·
Premium Member
18,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokurnal /forum/post/20815206

I was considering buying a ST30 tomorrow, until I read about the fluctuating brightness issues, and this weekend is no sales tax day.. So should I still consider getting it? Or would it be a waste of money.

The ST30 is a great value. Based on the discussions in the FBr threads, do you watch the type of content that is more likely to display FBr? I don't see many reports or complaints about this from ST30 owners, and it seems to be less affected than the GT30. But now that they have a fix for this issue, if you discover that your new TV has FBr then Panasonic will send a tech to your house to fix it.

It's been reported that units built in August now have the upgraded firmware onboard but the inventory at stores and in the regional distribution centers are probably older units and some could be as much as 6 months old (I bought my G10 from Amazon in July but it was assembled in February so they can sit around for a long time before shipping out).

Quote:
Whats the Panasonic EPP program?

Employee Purchase Program. Some large companies that do business with Panasonic have an agreement where their employees can purchase Panasonic products at a discount directly from Panasonic's online store. If you think you qualify, you can go to Panasonic's website and enter your company email address and it will tell you if you are in the program. FWIW, my employer has about 1500 employees and we even supply Panasonic ventilation products to contractors, but unfortunately we do not have an EPP agreement with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah alright, thanks for the info. So is it confirmed that not all models have the FBer issues. Because i'm not so sure its worth it to have a tech sent to my house and deal with the issue, vs just buying a diff tv lol, very much a turn off of pulling the trigger on a panny.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal /forum/post/20816967

Ah alright, thanks for the info. So is it confirmed that not all models have the FBer issues. Because i'm not so sure its worth it to have a tech sent to my house and deal with the issue, vs just buying a diff tv lol, very much a turn off of pulling the trigger on a panny.

Some people claim to not have FBr, but that could be because they don't watch content that it appears on, don't notice it, or it may not have started to happen on their TVs yet.

·
Registered
11,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn /forum/post/20817010

Some people claim to not have FBr, but that could be because they don't watch content that it appears on, don't notice it, or it may not have started to happen on their TVs yet.

Its just like any of the other issues like Floating Blacks, bothers soom others it doesnt bother at all. FBr is a real issue for some but alot of things get blown way out of proportion here imo. I'd say there is a good chance you would never even notice it.

·
Banned
250 Posts
I would have already bought the 42" St30, but the design is fugly, and the gt30 and vt30 dont come in 42"

Hope Panny makes the st30 look good in 2012

·
Premium Member
18,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal /forum/post/20816967

Well if you don't buy the Panasonic than what other TV would you buy? The LGs aren't in the same league, and the Samsungs have a similar brightness issue (there's a thread about it) but unlike Panasonic, Samsung does not have a fix for it. And some people with FBr have had the TV exchanged and the replacement didn't do it as bad as the first one so there does appear to be some variation within the same series, as well as between the different series'.

FWIW, the whole FBr thing has been just concerning enough to me to keep me from making a GT30 impulse-buy more than a few times in the past months, which is good because i really don't need to be buying a new TV

·
Banned
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20817064

Well if you don't buy the Panasonic than what other TV would you buy? The LGs aren't in the same league, and the Samsungs have a similar brightness issue (there's a thread about it) but unlike Panasonic, Samsung does not have a fix for it. And some people with FBr have had the TV exchanged and the replacement didn't do it as bad as the first one so there does appear to be some variation within the same series, as well as between the different series'.

FWIW, the whole FBr thing has been just concerning enough to me to keep me from making a GT30 impulse-buy more than a few times in the past months, which is good because i really don't need to be buying a new TV

Ah well, that just means youll get the gt40

unless they have overblown issues too

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn /forum/post/20817010

Do you know what kind of content it happens more on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon /forum/post/20817016

Its just like any of the other issues like Floating Blacks, bothers soom others it doesnt bother at all. FBr is a real issue for some but alot of things get blown way out of proportion here imo. I'd say there is a good chance you would never even notice it.

Yea I notice that alot of forums, I'm really hoping this is another issue thats just blown up and I won't notice it, I'm considering going to buy it today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach /forum/post/20817039

I would have already bought the 42" St30, but the design is fugly, and the gt30 and vt30 dont come in 42

Hope Panny makes the st30 look good in 2012

I'm in same boat, I feel anything bigger from 7-8 feet away and im gonna be cross-eyed and broke. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20817064

Ha same here, I dont realllllllly need a tv, but I reallllllllly want tv lol.

And yea I agree I wouldn't even bother getting a plasma if it wasn't for panny, honestly.. I've already been considering those mutant LCD-LEDs with more problems then the plasmas.

·
Premium Member
18,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach /forum/post/20817039

I would have already bought the 42" St30, but the design is fugly, and the gt30 and vt30 dont come in 42"

So you're refusing to buy the highest-performing best-PQ 42" TV on the market just because you think the bezel is ugly? And this from the guy who started the "Horrible time to be a videophile.... " thread?? Wow. If you were a true videophile, you'd be more interested in the ST30's great picture quality and not concerned with the look of it's bezel, especially since videophiles tend to watch their movies in the dark and can't see the ugly bezel anyway.

It might not be as pretty as a Samsung D7000, but the ST30 bezel isn't all that bad. The ST30 bezel does look much better than all of their previous generations of 42" 1080p models. It would be plenty acceptable in my home, but then again i'm not a true videophile like yourself

·
Registered
809 Posts
watch harry potter and the half moon prince very dark moive if the tv has the fbr you will see i in this moive. i have watched this moive 3 times and i have yet to see fbron my st30 its a feb 2011 build and i also watch transformers 1 and 2 dark knight have not seen it so far so i think iam safe lol and if the tv does have it i cant see it.

i think the st30 is one of the best looking tvs out there

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The ST30 is excellent. Probably the best tv I've purchased in the last 4 years within this sort of price range- and I've gone through a lot

Great ANSI contrast, color and saturation, a good gamma, and probably the best resolution I've ever seen on a plasma- very crisp. It's up there with an 8G non Elite Kuro, especially now with the fix.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 /forum/post/20817162

watch harry potter and the half moon prince very dark moive if the tv has the fbr you will see i in this moive. i have watched this moive 3 times and i have yet to see fbron my st30 its a feb 2011 build and i also watch transformers 1 and 2 dark knight have not seen it so far so i think iam safe lol and if the tv does have it i cant see it.

i think the st30 is one of the best looking tvs out there

Ah well thats very comforting to hear thanks =)

·
Premium Member
18,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach /forum/post/20817082

Ah well, that just means youll get the gt40

Heh heh, the only GT40 i want is a Ford
I've been buying a new Plasma every two years since 2005 but it looks like FBr is making me skip it this year

Quote:
unless they have overblown issues too

Oh i'm sure it will have some sort of 2011 issue, maybe we should start a thread where everyone guesses what it will be and see who ends up being right

·
Banned
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20817112

So you're refusing to buy the highest-performing best-PQ 42" TV on the market just because you think the bezel is ugly? And this from the guy who started the "Horrible time to be a videophile.... " thread?? Wow. If you were a true videophile, you'd be more interested in the ST30's great picture quality and not concerned with the look of it's bezel, especially since videophiles tend to watch their movies in the dark and can't see the ugly bezel anyway.

It might not be as pretty as a Samsung D7000, but the ST30 bezel isn't all that bad. The ST30 bezel does look much better than all of their previous generations of 42" 1080p models. It would be plenty acceptable in my home, but then again i'm not a true videophile like yourself

The 42" I want will be in the family room, not my main tv room for reference video quality. My family room has people in it all the time and I wouldn't want an ugly tv in there. I could care less how my main tv looked, as video quality is all that matters with that one. The 42" though would be in a room everyone would see and I would like a tv that isnt completely ugly like the St30.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts