AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I get an extended warranty for the 34HS420 (made in Mexico) that I'm going to buy? How long a warranty should I get?

If I buy a Sony 34HS420, am I asking for trouble?

·
Registered
277 Posts
nope, you should charge it on a major credit card, visa, mastercard with a warranty protection program, extra year protection automatically. Visa and mastercard also offer extra protection for a nominal fee. All my major purchases are protected by an extra year under my visa card. no bad. plus you already get one year, with home or bring in with sony standard warranty.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Should I get an extended warranty for the 34HS420 (made in Mexico) that I'm going to buy? How long a warranty should I get?

First of all - don't be afraid to get this set because of where it's made. It's a great set and will give you years of super viewing.

As for extended warranties - I did get one with mine, I believe for 3 years. That gives me a total of 5 years of protection, plus I bought it with my Credit Card.

I am usually against extended warranties, but in this case I needed the peace of mind.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Due to the falling prices on crt tube, plus you already get one year on parts and labor, two on the tube, which is standard on you sony . plus if charge on you credit card, extra year of protection. visa and master card also has extended warranty far cheaper than the dept store prices. remember the price of sony sets are falling, doesn't justify extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julio388
Due to the falling prices on crt tube, plus you already get one year on parts and labor, two on the tube, which is standard on you sony . plus if charge on you credit card, extra year of protection. visa and master card also has extended warranty far cheaper than the dept store prices. remember the price of sony sets are falling, doesn't justify extended warranty.
That's exactly my reasoning, usually, for ignoring extended warranties. However, this time I felt better with the added time under warranty.

Personal choice.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite

Even though you see so many posts here about problems with new Sony sets it's still a good gamble that you'll get a good one. But since every single Sony product i've owned has failed after the warranty was over i'd definitely get an extended warranty, but instead of the over-priced short ones the stores try to sell you with the TV i'd get a Repairmaster RMT41500 warranty from TVA for $138 instead.

It adds four years of coverage after the factory warranty expires. So buy the TV locally so you can return it if it's defective, then buy the Repairmaster warranty over the phone later. It comes out to like 80 cents per month.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Even though you see so many posts here about problems with new Sony sets it's still a good gamble that you'll get a good one. But since every single Sony product i've owned has failed after the warranty was over i'd definitely get an extended warranty, but instead of the over-priced short ones the stores try to sell you with the TV i'd get a Repairmaster RMT41500 warranty from TVA for $138 instead.

It adds four years of coverage after the factory warranty expires. So buy the TV locally so you can return it if it's defective, then buy the Repairmaster warranty over the phone later. It comes out to like 80 cents per month.
How are Repairmaster warranties? I've heard about them, but I really haven't heard how they are in regards to service. I just bought a 34HS420 at CC, and would like the peace of mind of an extended warranty, but I don't want to spend $350 plus tax on a warranty, especially at CC. $138 sounds much better :).

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Generally the sets made in the U.S.A are built in higher quality facilitys and are more reliable.

They are settup better to when they leave the plant.I believe me an Justsc have our sony sets manufacturerd in the pennsylvania plant in the U.S.A.

And the parts are made in japan, but the tv itself is put together in the U.S.A

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
Generally the sets made in the U.S.A are built in higher quality facilitys and are more reliable.

They are settup better to when they leave the plant.I believe me an Justsc have our sony sets manufacturerd in the pennsylvania plant in the U.S.A.

And the parts are made in japan, but the tv itself is put together in the U.S.A
Right - my set was manufactured in Pennsylvania.

I am so happy with this set, and with the adjustments shared by CrocHunter.

I did get an extended warranty - which I usually do not. I just needed some extra peace of mind this time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Word of caution: check the Sony warranty before assuming that it is 1 year labor...

I bought my kv30hs420 in July 2004 and it only has a 90 day labor warranty. I don't know if that is for all hs420 models, or for the particular size or if they have changed the length of the warranty to be a year as with most if not all other Sony tvs. I still have a 1 year parts, 2 year picture tube warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How do you check where your Sony set is manufactured?

In Mexico or US?

Is it on the box, TV panel, or user manual?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohjen
How are Repairmaster warranties? I've heard about them, but I really haven't heard how they are in regards to service. I just bought a 34HS420 at CC, and would like the peace of mind of an extended warranty, but I don't want to spend $350 plus tax on a warranty, especially at CC. $138 sounds much better :).
The Repairmaster warranties are highly regarded from what i've read around the web. TVAuthority sells them and i imagine they wouldn't associate themselves with em if they were't reputable. I will probaby be buying one for my plasma within the next five months.

AFAIK the Sony HS420 series warranty is 90 days labor, one year parts, and two years on the picture tube (doesn't include labor after 90 days though). From what i understand, the corresponding part of the Repairmaster warranty takes effect when the factory period expires so labor would be covered by them after 90 days then run four years thereafter but i take it to mean the labor portion would expire 9 months before the 4 years parts. Since you have to buy the warranty 90 days before the factory warranty expires i wonder if that means you have to buy it on the same day that you buy the TV? That would be a good question to ask TVA.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox8940
How do you check where your Sony set is manufactured?

In Mexico or US?

Is it on the box, TV panel, or user manual?

Thanks in advance.
It says it right in back of the tv set or in the manual.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
AFAIK the Sony HS420 series warranty is 90 days labor, one year parts, and two years on the picture tube (doesn't include labor after 90 days though).
Are you serious? Sony TVs only come with 90 days labor. Toshiba TVs come with a 1 year labor and parts, even though they are made by Orion and often have more quality issues than Sony.

·
Registered
986 Posts
PAss on all warranties and count your savings in 30 years......Especially on CRT TVs.

I can tell you I have saved over $9000 passing EWs on cars, TVs,appliances, computers. HAve I had repair costs? Obviously yes. But overall the savings have been amazing. I actually figured out what I have saved and continue to do so with every purchase. You will win most and lose some but will ALWAYS come out a huge winner unless you are really unlucky (which the sales people want you to believe).

On questionable used cars I have bought them then always cancel it within 30-60 days when I know the car has no major hidden issues. Never bought them on new cars or electronics which fail early if at all during the first few years.

Do the math with all you have purchased whether you bought one or not. See how much you would have or actually saved. Its amazing as you get older and buy more stuff, like mowers, Refers etc....

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow7
Do the RepairMaster 4 year extended warantees cover bulb replacement if you get a dlp tv?
What's a DLP TV? :D

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfrog
Do the math with all you have purchased whether you bought one or not. See how much you would have or actually saved. Its amazing as you get older and buy more stuff, like mowers, Refers etc....
I have bought more than a few extended warranties in my life and they have all paid off when i had to use them, and then some. I also have a ton of items that i did not buy a warranty for and have suffered a number of failures after the factory warranty was over so i either had them fixed out of pocket or just thrown them in the trash. Most of my stuff never fails though. I've had terrible luck with Sony stuff. But even with these losses i'm still ahead on the big ticket items that i did buy a warranty for.

1990 - i was talked into buying a 5-year warranty with my new 27" Sony Trinitron for $125. About 3 and 4 years into the warranty the TV had two catastropic failures (TV wouldn't turn on no matter what), both times the repair would have been about $245 but was covered under the warranty. I ended up $365 ahead in the end. The TV was reported to be still working fine after i sold it several months ago.

About 1995 - bought an extended warranty with a new hi-end Sony VCR for about $39. VCR started eating tapes after the factory warranty expired, CC repaired under warranty. They valued the repair at about $125 so i was already $86 ahead. A year or so later the VCR failed completely, Sony no longer made a suitable replacement, so they gave me in-store credit which i cashed in for a huge stack of good VHS tapes and a new and better Panasonic VCR that worked flawlessly for 8 years until i gave it to a co-worker, who's wife is still using it daily for Oprah and Dr. Phil.

2001- Bought a $1,000 10-year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with my new 2001 VW 1.8T Turbo. So far i've had both front electric window mechanisms replaced, the electronically controlled final drive/differential had to be rebuilt, a few niggling electrical problems were fixed, a major turbo malfunction fixed, a new brakelight switch, clutch interlock switch replaced, and they replaced a starter solenoid, - all covered under the extended warranty. I'm probably well over a thousand dollars ahead already, and i still have 6 years left on the warranty. The car is such a POS that i'm sure it'll have a lot more problems develop in the future. It's about to go in for a inoperative temperature gauge and a random stumble and hesitation at ultra-high speeds. Whatever fails on this car during the next six years is covered and i won't have to pay out any more money :)

The only warranty i've never had to use is the $200 5-year CC warranty on my 32" Panny HD tube TV bought in 2003. I just sold the TV for $700 and the 3-remaining years on the warranty helped me get my asking price for the TV two days after placing the ad. So in a way this one kinda paid off too :)

I'm pretty sure that sometime in the next 6 months i'll be buying a Repairmaster warranty for my recent plasma purchase. I'm so far ahead on all my warranty activity over the years that the cost of it is just a small portion of how much i've saved already. The peace of mind alone is worth the measly $6 per month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.