AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I'm going to be using the TV for is video games and DVDs. So my question is, if I get and HDTV set, will I need to get an HDTV tuner as well in order to get the best picture quality on my games and movies? And my other question is, would it even be worth it? In terms of an HDTV set I'm looking at the Sony KV-32HS510. And in terms of a non-HDTV set I was thinking of either the Sony Wega KV36FS320 or the Sony Wega KV-36FS120 36. I'm pretty new to this guys, this will be my first new TV in a long time so all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
First off, no you don't need an HD receiever. Secondly, you will be glad you have an HD once you crank up a HD capable game. What's your price range? Do you want to go 4:3 or 16: 9? I'll have to look up that TV, I don't know the model.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I'd like to keep the price under $1000 (the cheaper the better) but I don't want to sacrifice too much in quality for it. I'm not sure what would be better for me in terms of aspect ratio since I'd only be playing games and watching DVDs on it. I do enjoy widescreen though and make sure that the DVDs that I buy are widescreen. So if you have anything in mind for me I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something that's not too big, I'm thinking 27" to 30" since it's gonna be going in my bedroom. Possibly 32" at the largest.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidcivic
Just found this one, anyone have any opinions about it?
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...sterid=4050882
I'd recommend you stay away from that TV. I went through two of them because of some problems (glitchy component inputs and very poor geometry). This was before I knew that Toshiba had outsourced their manufacturing to a company called Orion. Orion are known for making substandard electronics and I found this out the hard way.

The Sony 30HS420 or Sony 30XS955 are better TVs for the money. I have the 30HS420 and it's been a really good TV with the best PQ out there in the below $1000 price range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty, first off let me go ahead and thank you all for being so very helpful. Secondly, I've narrowed it down to a possible 3 TVs, all of which are Sonys.

1. KD-30XS955 or the KV-30HS420 (I really can't tell the difference between the two aside from how they look, so I counted them as 1)

2. KV-32HS420 (if I have enough room to put it in my room that is)

3. KV-27HS420 (the smallest one and the easiest on my wallet)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Alrighty, first off let me go ahead and thank you all for being so very helpful. Secondly, I've narrowed it down to a possible 3 TVs, all of which are Sonys.

1. KD-30XS955 or the KV-30HS420 (I really can't tell the difference between the two aside from how they look, so I counted them as 1)

2. KV-32HS420 (if I have enough room to put it in my room that is)

3. KV-27HS420 (the smallest one and the easiest on my wallet)

If you can find this set to be within your price range, then this is definitely the way to go. Sure, it has an HD tuner, but you can just consider that a *bonus*......the selling point for this set is the enhanced PQ provided by Sony's Super Fine Pitch tube which is ONLY found in XS and XBR models and has been all the rave across this forum.

I am not and cannot speak on experience on the Sonys as I personally have a Toshiba 30HF84, got it refurbished (by Toshiba) for $499. My budget was limited to

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, so I've pretty much decided to go for a widescreen TV, but now I've been presented with another option. The Panasonic CT-30WX15. I've been told that the picture quality is superb and it's also a bit cheaper than a Sony. Any thoughts on this particular TV as compared to the KV-30HS420?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not sure which models of the Panasonics were mentioned, but quite a few people here have been warning new buyers of HDTVs of the inability of reading 720p signals. So if you are planning on getting the upcoming Xbox 360, be aware that the minimum display for X360 games are 720p and will not play on the Panasonic if they don't have an option for 1080i.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
rockjav - I dont understand what you are talking about. The xbox360 will support 1080i and 720p for EVERY game. You shouldnt need a TV that supports 720p in order to play a game, since they support 1080i.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Panasonic supports 480p and 1080i, it doesn't support 780p. The Sony on the other hand does. Since I'm going to end up getting an Xbox360, I should probably go for the Sony just so I make sure I have a damn fine looking picture.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
The Panasonic supports 480p and 1080i, it doesn't support 780p. The Sony on the other hand does. Since I'm going to end up getting an Xbox360, I should probably go for the Sony just so I make sure I have a damn fine looking picture.
Yes, but both TVs will either upconvert to 1080i or downconvert to 480p from a 720p signal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.