AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I'm going to be using the TV for is video games and DVDs. So my question is, if I get and HDTV set, will I need to get an HDTV tuner as well in order to get the best picture quality on my games and movies? And my other question is, would it even be worth it? In terms of an HDTV set I'm looking at the Sony KV-32HS510. And in terms of a non-HDTV set I was thinking of either the Sony Wega KV36FS320 or the Sony Wega KV-36FS120 36. I'm pretty new to this guys, this will be my first new TV in a long time so all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't need a digital tuner for dvd's and games on HDTv sets. The picture quality is better all the way around for everything, however.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the quick reply man. So do you think the Sony KV-32HS510 would be a decent choice for a HD CRT?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Does a moose crap in the woods?

Does the Pope wear a yarmulke?

Yes, hell yes, & damn yes!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidcivic
All I'm going to be using the TV for is video games and DVDs. So my question is, if I get and HDTV set, will I need to get an HDTV tuner as well in order to get the best picture quality on my games and movies? And my other question is, would it even be worth it? In terms of an HDTV set I'm looking at the Sony KV-32HS510. And in terms of a non-HDTV set I was thinking of either the Sony Wega KV36FS320 or the Sony Wega KV-36FS120 36. I'm pretty new to this guys, this will be my first new TV in a long time so all help would be greatly appreciated.
Actually, DVD's may or may not look better on a HDTV. Depends on many different factors. Same goes for video games.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've decided to go HDTV anyway, that way if somewhere down the road I want to end up watching HD Cable, I won't have to go out and buy another TV. The only issue I'm having now is which TV I should get. I was thinking either a 27" or 30" since it'll be going in my bedroom and I don't want something that's too big.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely! DVD's and videogames will look their absolute best when connected properly to an HDTV set.

Do you want your DVD films to look as good as they did in the theater?

Invest in an HDTV set and a quality PROGRESSIVE SCAN dvd player. All dvd players (even the wonderful Brand X $35 unit though NOT recommended) are now progressive scan capable when connected to an HDTV through the component [Y, Pb, Pr] connections. Get the best DVD player you can afford with the best scaler and D/A converters. They start at $60 for a decent quality unit to $150-$175 for a better unit. Of course you can drop $1,500 on a DVD player but is not necessary unless you are an extremely discerning videophile. Be sure to change video output from interlaced to progressive video from either the setup menu of DVD player or less commonly a switch on back of player. DVD upconvert DVD players ( so called HD DVD players - not the soon to be released REAL High Definition DVD player with Blue Lasers) are not that impressive. The often produce a softer image when upconverted through DVI/HDMI output. This is because the image is merely interpolated from native 480p to input resolution of your HDTV ( 720p, 768p or 1080i ). EXAMPLE: When you upscale the resolution of a graphic from the web with an image editor what happens? The image went from 72ppi to 300ppi but now appears SOFTER, which is more noticeable on larger screens.

DO NOT USE COMPOSITE [YELLOW] , S-VIDEO [MINI-DIN] OR THE HORRID RF OUT [ IF DVD/VCR COMBO]. Only component or DVI/HDMI will do the trick.

As far as video games, many games are currently released in some form of enhanced (480p) or high-definition widescreen format. Be sure that you get a COMPONENT cable to connect the console to your HDTV and again setup video output on console.

If you are a gamer, notice that one XBOX 360's motto is ALL HIGH DEFINITION, ALL THE TIME. Second gen XBOX 360 will incorporate HD-DVD (the real Blue Laser units)

You will need NO HD Tuner for DVD or Video Game consoles. A HD tuner will only be needed if you want to view HDTV broadcasts over the air, Cable or satellite.

I purchased my first HDTV four years ago STRICTLY for watching DVD's in their ABSOLUTE BEST QUALITY. I did not upgrade to HD broadcast until about one year ago.

I am not a gamer, but have friends that I setup consoles for them.

I encourage all new television purchases to be HDTV's. This will only accelerate this full transition to DTV.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help guys, here's what I've narrowed it down to.

1. KD-30XS955 or the KV-30HS420 (I really can't tell the difference between the two aside from how they look, so I counted them as 1)

2. KV-32HS420 (if I have enough room to put it in my room that is)

3. KV-27HS420 (the smallest one and the easiest on my wallet)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted:

Thanks for your help guys, here's what I've narrowed it down to.

1. KD-30XS955 or the KV-30HS420 (I really can't tell the difference between the two aside from how they look, so I counted them as 1)

2. KV-32HS420 (if I have enough room to put it in my room that is)

3. KV-27HS420 (the smallest one and the easiest on my wallet)

Without a doubt, go with the widescreen (16x9) HDTV. Several Important factors:

A widescreen HDTV will take advantage of the anamorphic video process on most DVD's (some early DVD's were non-anamorphic and the image will be vertically compressed on a widescreen TV, all commercial DVD's in last several years ARE anamorphic) and you will see a substantial improvement in image resolution on your anamorphic DVD's. If your DVD has an aspect ratio greater than 1.85/1, you will still see some "of them there black bars" but not nearly as prevelant as on a 4/3 HDTV. As an avid DVD viewer ( which seems to be the case ) this would be a MUST. The same holds true for games that are available in widescreen.

Also, as we enter the age of DTV, all High Definition programming will be broadcast in anamorphic 16x9 widescreen mode and you will again have the advantage of a better image. Remember, a 4/3 HDTV is NOT a "TRUE" HDTV.

As far as HDTV's are concerned, the main difference between the Sonys is the KD-30XS955 set has the super fine pitch apeture grill which should improve your image, but I have looked at both sets and both have great pictures. The 30HS420 is an outstanding value.

But I would recommend a look at the Panasonic CT-30WX15. Color accuracy is superb and a great benefit is the Just(ify) mode that minimizes the center stretching effect when watching analog 4/3 material. That set would be my choice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, for the most part you have me sold on a widescreen TV. The only thing is how would a non-widescreen game look on the widescreen TV? And if I were playing a two player split-screen game, each persons screen would be smaller than if I were playing it on a 4:3 TV. These are all really nitpicky things, just wondering if any gamers here own a widescreen TV and are happy with it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Don't keep selection narrow to a Sony. There are other top notch TV's.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No, according to Panasonic it only support 480p & 1080i.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, that's what the Sony supports as well. So looks like it's down to either the KV-30HS420 or the CT-30WX15. Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Since this will be primarily for DVD's and Gaming, will this be for current generation of DVD players and gaming consoles? The Xbox 360 will be supporting 720p as well as 1080i. If you have only progressive scan DVD player, either would be fine for your need. The Panasonic advertises a "game guard" if this is important to you. The current crop of TV's now have built in HD tuner. These two requires that you purchase it separately in order to receive HDTV programming over the air. The LG has a combi tuner and upconverting DVD player for a few clams.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No CRT (Tube) HDTV will NATIVELY support 720p. It is not economical for manufacturers to produce a set to supports this fast scan rate. Always look for the NATIVE resolution of the TV. CRT's generally support native resolutions of 480p and 1080i or in the case of Toshiba 480p, 540p or 1080i (1080i is REALLY alternating fields of 540 lines).

MOST LCD's support 720p or 768p nati vely (soon to be released RP sets will support 1080p, and 45" Sharp is CURRENTLY available @ $6000+).

BEWARE, you look at a new Ultravision that states it utilizes virtual 1080p processing BUT IMAGES ARE SCALED TO A NATIVE RESOLUTION OF 720P.

DLP is 720p with new 1080p models available any minute. 1080 images scaled to native 720p.

Therefore, a CRT is scaling a 720p signal to 1080i but there is no noticable change in the image.

Standard 4/3 games will be stretched to fill the screen unless you use analog inputs and apply aspect ratio changes. I have seen games stretched and since games tend to be less than realistic ( as far as natural physics ) I do not notice any problems.

CRT will still provide you with the most accurate image available (Blacks, shadow detail and color accuracy) and will supports every bit of resolution available with current red laser 480p DVD.

DLP is next with good black, shadow detail and color accuracy and LCD and plasma fall behind that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nowadays its usually posted on company website.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Come to an Audio/Video forum & ask if you should get an HDTV?

Why not go to an AA (alcoholic anonymous) forum and ask if you should have a drink?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had you read my first post, you would've known what I was talking about. As I stated in that post, "I'm pretty new to this", and at that time I didn't know if it would be worth it for me to get and HDTV set for what I'm going to use it for. But thanks to the help of many of the members of this board I've come to realize that I should in fact get a HDTV set as it would provide me with the best picture quality for my games and DVDs. Now then, did you really have to be an ass in your post? Oh and your AA comparison was a bit off because the anwer to that question would've been 'no', whereas the answer to whether or not I should get an HDTV would be 'yes'. Yes I know you were trying to point out the obviousness of both of the decisions, but next time make it "Why not go to an AA (alcoholic anonymous) forum and ask if you should NOT have a drink?" That way not only do you get your point across, but it also makes a bit more sense in the process. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.