AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current Charter Cable deal is expiring in a month so I'm shopping for TV programming again. I currently do not subscribe to any HD programming because I get it free via QAM. I'm afraid moving to a dish will force me to actually pay for HD programming, unfortunately...but I don't mind to pay as long as I get HD channels I watch. (FoodTV, HGTV, Discovery, LifeTime and the local HD networks...FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS.)

With that in mind, should I move to Dish Network or DirecTV? I know DirecTV is slated to get 100 new channels at the end of the year but thats at the end of the year and their pricing seems expensive? However if I switch to Dish, I'll be locked in a 18 month contract... any suggestions?

I'd like to get the cheapest SD package possible and perhaps add some HD channels.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Only you can answer your question. Bottom line is with D* you'll miss out on some HD channels for the first 9 months. With E* you'll likely miss out on some HD channels for the last 9 months.

You have to decide which is a better scenario based on the HD channels in question.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I don't think there is much of a difference with the pricing for either. I'd say if you're really interested in D* wait for the new channels to come up. Not to mention if you want to wait the nine months, wait till Football season where you can get some good deals and be assured of getting alot of HD channels.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
You might not have to choose, you might get both .

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
If Dish will sign you up with no committment (and without buying any gear), go with Dish and see how D* shakes out later this year. Otherwise, hedge your bets and pick one or the other. While Dish quality and choices are currently a bit better than D*, that may change with the next round of satellite launches for D*, which will bring them up to full capacity. If they add all the channels it appears they intend to AND bring up the quality, they'll leap well ahead of Dish. On the other hand, if they only add channels and continue the same quality, Dish will be a better bet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would just look at the programming packages provided by both D* & E* and base your decision on that.

Also, you could spend sometime on there forums @ dbstalk.com

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz68 /forum/post/0

I would just look at the programming packages provided by both D* & E* and base your decision on that.

With D* getting Extra Innings today and their future additions to HD, I will look into those two situations and factor it in.

Would not just base on what exists today when tommorrow things will change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.