AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a cheaper LCD projector (Sony VLP BW-7, $600 at Best Buy) for our church. I used it to watch the Lord of the rings and it was awesome. However, I know it has its limits.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to get a higher end machine that is a few years old, but has better specs. It is a Dukane 8942. This thing can supposedly do a 500" image, not that I need anything like that. It is 720P like the Sony and supports 16:9 widescreen. It does not have HDMI but has DVI. I am not worried about that, I do have an HDMI to DVI adapter that I have used for other things and it works well. Plus our sound will be coming through our soundboard and not the projector. I am looking to display song lyrics, Bible verses and short video clips.

The guy is asking $150 for the Dukane (street price was MRSP was about 10K in 04' and street price of $6500). He said that it works perfectly and will demonstrate it for me.

Now the question is whether to keep the Sony that is geared more for home theatre but in NEW, or the Dukane which is geared more for what I need, but is a few years old. Great news is that the bulbs are inexpensive. Thanks for your help...Dean

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
A digital projector from 2004 is like a cell phone from 2004. It certainly has nothing on common with more current options.

It may be better for the church. Like if it had low pq but very high light output.

I would google it then check on bulb cost, availability, and life. Then get the demo.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Strat /forum/post/19639650

I bought a cheaper LCD projector (Sony VLP BW-7, $600 at Best Buy) for our church. I used it to watch the Lord of the rings and it was awesome. However, I know it has its limits.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to get a higher end machine that is a few years old, but has better specs. It is a Dukane 8942. This thing can supposedly do a 500" image, not that I need anything like that. It is 720P like the Sony and supports 16:9 widescreen. It does not have HDMI but has DVI. I am not worried about that, I do have an HDMI to DVI adapter that I have used for other things and it works well. Plus our sound will be coming through our soundboard and not the projector. I am looking to display song lyrics, Bible verses and short video clips.

The guy is asking $150 for the Dukane (street price was MRSP was about 10K in 04' and street price of $6500). He said that it works perfectly and will demonstrate it for me.

Now the question is whether to keep the Sony that is geared more for home theatre but in NEW, or the Dukane which is geared more for what I need, but is a few years old. Great news is that the bulbs are inexpensive. Thanks for your help...Dean

Better look at the specs again.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Duka...gePro_8942.htm

That machine is not 720p it is 1024x768 native 4:3. It is a very bright unit if the lamp is new and would be much better for a big venue since that is what it was made for. Being it is 6 years old I would be very weary of the polarizer and panel degradation.

Then again for what you plan on using it for, and a cost of $150 it is worth looking at but very closely. Make sure the power focus and power zoom works, no dust blobs, no coloration when displaying a blank screen and no discernible misconvergance. Also download the users guide from the above site and read it before you look at the unit so you are familiar with the how it works.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/19645261

Better look at the specs again.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Duka...gePro_8942.htm

That machine is not 720p it is 1024x768 native 4:3. It is a very bright unit if the lamp is new and would be much better for a big venue since that is what it was made for. Being it is 6 years old I would be very weary of the polarizer and panel degradation.

Then again for what you plan on using it for, and a cost of $150 it is worth looking at but very closely. Make sure the power focus and power zoom works, no dust blobs, no coloration when displaying a blank screen and no discernible misconvergance. Also download the users guide from the above site and read it before you look at the unit so you are familiar with the how it works.

Just to clear up a misconception you have, the Dukane is no more "high end" than your Sony - just because it had an MSRP of 10K back in '04 doesn't mean much.

From a performance standpoint, I agree with airscapes - the Dukane can obviously throw a LOT more lumens than the Sony, which is usually what you want in a projector for a well-lit public venue. Definitely take a close look at the projector, especially the things airscapes lists above. And keep in mind, with a digital this old, even if it was well cared for, you never know when something is going to go out on you, so just be prepared for that. But for $150, it seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the projector. It is in great condition and is real bright. I bought a 100' RGB cable and it seems to have some signal issues. I will try the Sony tomorrow with the same cable and see how it is. Plus the pixels are huge on this thing when I blow it up. With the Sony it is very smooth and there is no visible pixels. I did use an HDMI cable with that though. I want tor see the difference with the Sony using the RGB cable and compare side by side. I should have gotten a 100' DVI cable, but I ordered it before getting the Dukane. Will I get a much better image using a DVI cable over the RGB?

What about video card? I have an NVIDIA Geforce 7800GT. It has dual monitor support (RGB and DVI). Thanks for your help...Dean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I brought the Sony into the church and it looks the same as the Dukane when hooked up to the PC. That makes me feel better, it means that the Dukane is most likely running great and that it is either the cable or the video card/driver. What can I do get rid of the trails that I am seeing when I open a new window? It is a white line that extends far from the border of the window. Or the edge of the cards if I play solitaire for example. Again this happens on either machine. The Sony was hooked up to a Hidef (older Toshiba 1080P) DVD player with an HDI cable and was flawless. Can it be a lousy card? Or a driver? I said it was a 7900GT, it is actually a 7300GS.

Also, I decided to keep both so that I have a backup, just in case, or so I can take it on the road. Thanks, for your help...Dean

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I'm wondering if the trails are just motion blur that you tend to get more with LCD projectors (and also DILA to a lesser degree)? It may also be to do with the graphics card driver or perhaps the refresh rate, but these are things you can easily check I suppose. That VGA cable might not be helping as it's very long. Perhaps you could try a shorter cable to see if it helps. If it does, then perhaps you could get some kind of cable booster (I know you can get them for HDMI cables, just guessing regarding VGA?).

PS. I'm more of a '57Strat fan myself, though I have to confess mine's an '82 reissue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S /forum/post/19652175

PS. I'm more of a '57Strat fan myself, though I have to confess mine's an '82 reissue.

Awesome. Yeah, I would love to get a Pre CBS Strat someday. I had a friend who wanted $10K for a 64 and found out he sold it to someone for only $4K. I was very upset because i would have moved a few amps and my 74 to get it. I picked up a 79 on craigslist last month for only $375. It is 100% original and plays great. The blue book value is about $3K for it.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll try to get a short cable to see what is happening. It is definitely not motion blur as the streaks stay there. I will download new drivers or get a better card if I can. Will also check into the booster. Thanks...Dean

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Best of luck with the projector...must get my reissue put back together as I stripped it down 3-4 years ago for a respray and haven't got round to getting it done.

I once saw a real '57 in a local guitar shop and I can't remember now how much it was, though it was well out of my league and I wouldn't do it justice though..it looked a real state, but I guess it was well played in.

I just upgraded my graphics card as I thought it had broken (was a poor cable as it turned out) and now have a HDMI output and DVI output for about £40. I don't even know if it has a VGA port, but you must be able to still get cards with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My card has a DVI port as does the projector, it is just a smaller sized than standard. I do have a DVI to HDMI adapter. I guess I can try using that to the Sony to see if it makes a difference. If it does, then I will go ahead and get a 100' DVI cable and what ever adapter I need for the change in size.

The Best Strat I ever owned was a 1957 MIJ RI. I bought it at a pawnshop in Portland OR for $190. I sold it for $350 and now beat myself up. I owned one of the coveted early 80's USA 62 RI and the 57 was better. Open the thing up and you can see that it was made with cheap electronics, but there was just something special about that guitar. Well, i think I will drive home and find my adapter...Dean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.