AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through some other threads but am not quite sure if I understand.

I am thinking very seriously about the MX-700 or MX-800. My room will have a front projector located above and somewhat forward of the primary seating positon and all other electronics will be kept behind glass front cabinents either in the front or rear of the room. The cabinents will not be obstructed from view. I believe that the MX-700 will work well if my electronics are kept in the front of the room.

Will the MX-700 work well if electronics are in the rear? If not, will one of those inexpensive RF extenders solve my problem? Which one is recommended? Or does it make better sense to get the MX-800? I do not care to get into some form of involved wired solution if I can avoid it.

Thanks kindly, Bernie

· Registered
5,719 Posts
If you have a direct line-of-sight to all of your components (even if they're behind a glass door), then the MX-700 will do the trick. If your components are behind you, the MX-800 will be a better solution. The inexpensive IR extenders will work for you, but you'll need to place the receiver in the room where the IR blaster has a clear view of all your components. It's workable, but usually not high on the "Wife Acceptance" scale. In that case, the extra $150 for the MX-800 may be well worth it.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, thanks very much.

So basically, the extra $150 eliminates the blaster up front or elsewhere in line of sight with the componenets and the need to point the remote at it.

Thanks Again, Bernie

· Registered
5,719 Posts
Yes, the MX-800's RF base station can be placed inside your equipment rack, then each of the six wired IR emitters can be placed on each component by its IR receiving eye.

· Registered
220 Posts
If the projector isn't in line-of-sight, and you'll be using the RF base station to control it, then you need a way to get the signal from the base station to the projector, so yes, you'll need the emitter to run to the projector.

You could pick up a simple extension cable at Radio Shack I imagine for the job. The emitter has a VERY powerful signal, so don't worry too much about the signal being weak over a long run.

· Registered
220 Posts
You can go with one of these adapters at the base station:

Radio Shack (Item 274-373, $3.99) or Parts Express (Item 090-324, $1.90)

Then run a 1/8" extension cable for the required length. Then use the opposite adapter to convert back to a female 3/32" (2.5 mm) plug for the emitter.

· Registered
17,711 Posts
a few more ideas:

- the RF base is also a blaster. Since they are glass doors, the IR from it might be able to reach the projector.

- More expensive but most elegant then David's ideas is to get a second RF receiver and put it at the projector.

· Registered
5,719 Posts
If you do use a longer IR emitter with the adapter, make sure you get a mono adapter (Radio Shack Part No. 274-327C, not available online). The ones mentioned above are stereo adapters.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike, David and Anthony. I think I am pretty well squared away for the moment.

My choices are:

A. Get MX-700 and a blaster. Blaster must be in line of sight with all IR receivers. If blaster was in front of room and all components and the PJ were fairly far away, one blaster may work if IR dispersion is adequate to span the distance between components and projector. This is probably an iffy situation.

B. Get MX-800. The included blaster may reach projector or I may need a longer IR wire and adapters to get to the projector. Regardless, the remote system can be made to work without much effort and I have the added benefit of not needing to point the remote.

One last question; does the MX-800 remote, not base station, have a IR transmitter as well as RF? If it does, then it would not be all that inconvenient to point it at the PJ to make as needed.

Thanks Again, Bernie

· Registered
5,719 Posts
Yes, in the programming software, you can set the MX-800 to send IR, RF or both. This can be done per component, so you can have the projector on IR and everything else on RF for example.

BTW, how's that BenQ working out for you?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike, so far so good. Ordered it yesterday and arrived today. Not bad for 2-day mail. I will set it up Saturday. I'll post my impressions in "My Post Cedia DLP Shortlist" thread in the >$5K digital projector forum. Thanks, Bernie

· Registered
17,711 Posts
Yup the 800 can send anything you want. Also screens tend to be very good to bounce IR. If the BenQ has a receiver in the front, then with the IR power of the 800 and a whole screen to aim at you should be OK in IR.

can't believe I forgot the simplest solution.

· Registered
114 Posts
Also, the RF units for the MX-600, MX-800 and the MX-3000 were developed along with Crestron, so it is not a rinky-dink unit that comes with some other remote controls.

I would say that the extra dollars for the MX-800 would be well worth it, since you don't know what the future holds and what your future home theater will look like.

IMHO.

... Greg

· Registered
350 Posts
Bernie,

I got the Mx-800 from a customer installer in Denver for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.