AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the yamaha 5990 receiver in a 5.1 setup with Athena speakers and a velodyne dsp12 sub-woofer....My TV was a Samsung 26" LCD.

I am about to purchase the 46SonyXBR4 TV and will have the SA8300 HDPVR from rogers. I also have a PS3 for BluRay playback.

Home theatre is my main objective...HD tv and/or bluRay movies..

I was satisfied with the yamaha old setup, but was thinking about upgrading to a new receiver that is capable of HDMI hookups....and also upgrading the speakers.

Is it worthwhile for me to upgrade the receiver to have HDMI? if so what are some good recommendations for a budget of about $1500? Thinking about the Marantz 6002/7002 or a Denon?

Same with the speakers...if I am going to upgrade the receiver...i would like to upgrade them as well??? but the space in my room is limited to bookshelf type speakers....is the paradigm Atom's good? or just stick with what I have?

If i don't upgrade the receiver...how would I hookup the TV & PVR box to best utilize what I have?

·
Registered
498 Posts
What type of Athena speakers do you have?

A new receiver with HDMI would open up some possibilities for Blu-ray, but given your space constraints, etc... maybe 1500 would be overkill? I've always thought it important to keep your investment in a receiver synched up with the quality of your speakers. $1500 worth of receiver on 500 in speakers doesn't make sense. But, if you have really nice speakers, then that money could make sense...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan /forum/post/12890871

What type of Athena speakers do you have?

A new receiver with HDMI would open up some possibilities for Blu-ray, but given your space constraints, etc... maybe 1500 would be overkill? I've always thought it important to keep your investment in a receiver synched up with the quality of your speakers. $1500 worth of receiver on 500 in speakers doesn't make sense. But, if you have really nice speakers, then that money could make sense...

thanks for the reply...

my current Athena's are the AS-B1.2, C1.2,R1.2

If I do get a new receiver, then I will want to upgrade my speakers..I probably would have another $1000-1500 to spend on the speakers...However, with space constraints, it'll have to be bookshelf...

My plans is to move into a bigger place in about 2 years...When that happens I will be spending more to really get a full size tower speakers..Until then, bookshelf will have to be.

I figure, if I can a new receiver now with HDMI, I can still hopefully use the same receivers when I move to a bigger place?

If i don't get a HDMI receiver...How would I best hookup my TV to the HDPVR, BluRay to TV, or Receiver, TV to receiver?

I currently have Bluray HDMI>DVI to the TV, and optical to the reciever.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hmmm.... maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the Yamaha HTR-5990 already support HDMI (version 1.1)? If so, should that be able to receiver multi-channel PCM audio over HDMI? It can't decode TrueHD or DTS-MA, but your PS3 should at least be able to send the uncompressed PCM and decoded TrueHD to your receiver, and there's a rumor that the PS3 might some day, via firmware, also decode DTS-MA.

If that's the case, I would definitely hold tight. I can't see much advantage of upgrading now, your current equipment is actually quite nice. Save your money, and when you get your bigger place, then throw down the money on a new receiver and speakers. You'll get more features for less money, and you can pick a receiver and speakers that best match your new listening environment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan /forum/post/12893296

Hmmm.... maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the Yamaha HTR-5990 already support HDMI (version 1.1)? If so, should that be able to receiver multi-channel PCM audio over HDMI? It can't decode TrueHD or DTS-MA, but your PS3 should at least be able to send the uncompressed PCM and decoded TrueHD to your receiver, and there's a rumor that the PS3 might some day, via firmware, also decode DTS-MA.

If that's the case, I would definitely hold tight. I can't see much advantage of upgrading now, your current equipment is actually quite nice. Save your money, and when you get your bigger place, then throw down the money on a new receiver and speakers. You'll get more features for less money, and you can pick a receiver and speakers that best match your new listening environment.

Sorry...My mistake, I actually have the HTR-5890, so definitely no HDMI input/output of any kind..

does that change anything?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I jumped on an HK AVR 247 about a year ago and now regret it. It is an HDMI receiver that is not ready for HDM. I would probably hold off at this point and wait for the receiver you want that has a good amount of HDMI inputs.

Think of all your potential inputs and think that they will go to HDMI. PS3, XBox, DVD, cable box, DVD-A player, etc. I think I would wait for something that has at least 4 inputs and I would also make very sure that it will pass 1080p and accept PCM without issues. That sounds easier than it is, I guess.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commie1997 /forum/post/12899469

Sorry...My mistake, I actually have the HTR-5890, so definitely no HDMI input/output of any kind..

does that change anything?

It does change the equation a bit, but you still have a very nice receiver. At this point, you're basically choosing between uncompressed or lossless audio formats, or the 1.5mb DTS stream that these new formats get converted to for backwards compatibility. While the uncompressed PCM or lossless formats are better, the DTS stream they generate is still quite nice. If it was my money, I'd bank it and wait for your next place. By that time there will be more/better features for the $$ than there is today in the receiver world, and you will have a much better idea of what you'll actually need by then.

But, if you ever decide to ditch those Athena speakers, let me know, they'd match up well with the Athena speakers I have

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts