AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive basically decided that the Sony projector is the one I will get. But should I just go ahead and get the 10HT or wait for the 11HT? Are the changes that big to spend the extra money? If I should wait what features would i be waiting for?

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Chris,

You should probably wait about 10 days and at least hear the feedback from Infocomm (where the 11HT will debut). It might be an amazing difference from the 10HT, or it might not be worth the extra denero.

I am sure that you will hear all about it soon...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I second Mark's advice and suggest you also include the Sanyo PLV60 in your list of possibilities.

You didn't mention whether $$$ was an issue. With the intro of the 11HT you can expect 10HT prices to quickly fall into the $4K range. This is half the retail price of the 11HT and all indications are that, at least for the near term, it will sell only at retail.

The PLV60 can be bought for around $6K, halfway between the price of the two Sonys. Email me if you want the source.

BTW, I got a nice demo of an HT10 courtesy of another forum member here in Albuquerque and I was pretty impressed with it. Contrast and black level aren't as bad as some make them out to be, and are mainly a problem with very dark movies.

Isn't it great how the choices/possibilities and quality are expanding almost weekly? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan

P.S. After I posted this, I picked up the following from the "Plus Piano" thread. Pretty harsh criticism, I was surprised. All the more reason to wait for the feedback from Infocomm and consider the Sanyo as well.

------------

Hello all,

I have now had a chance to see the Sanyo PLV-60 set up against the Sony and I can also tell you that the Sanyo is light years ahead in quality of picture. I had a chance to speak to the higher ups at Sony about their 11HT and it seems to just be a knee jerk reaction to the Sanyo. I don't believe that it will come close to the Sanyo in black level or internal scaling. I understand that Sony will be fixing the problem with auto-switching to 4:3 when a progressive scan image is introduced and the 3:2 pulldown.I imagine they will also solve the sync problem with the RCA HDTV tuner as well, but why did they wait until the Sanyo was introduced to make these much needed fixes? They could have solved all of this without creating a new model number. WARNING: I have the strongest suspicion that the Sony 11HT is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Until I see otherwise, we don't plan on stocking very many.

AJ Abrams

Product Analyst

Projector People/AV Marketplace/Home Theatre People/Plasma People.

-------------

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Please note that while Mr. Abrams first says he saw the 11HT against the Sanyo, he then goes onto say he only "believes" the Sanyo will beat the Sony in black level, "understands" it will remedy one problem, and "imagines" it will remedy another, making me question what he actually saw. Perhaps he isn't a Sony CIS dealer.

·
Banned
770 Posts
I didn't take anything that Dan said as an attack. Robert's was just an open attack. I happen to like the VW10HT as a unit. I just question Sony putting out a stop gap unit as a reaction to Sanyo putting out such a fine unit. Many manufacturers practice this kind of marketing and I think it stinks. They tweak a unit a bit, create a new part number, create a fervor for it, then charge for a lot more money for what is essentiality the same product. Who do they think they are kidding? Yes the VW11HT will be a better product than the 10HT, but Sony doesn't own the technology that has enabled Sanyo to get such great blacks out of their machines and Sanyo has not sold that to Sony. Thus, I can say will a fair amount of certainty that the 11HT will not have the same black levels as the Sanyo. Sony itself has admitted to me that the 11HT is more of a fix machine than an evolutionary machine like the Sanyo. I was just trying inform people of this before they go and pluck down all that extra cash.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
AJ, since you obviously know a lot about the 10HT, could you clarify something? Will the new Sony 11HT use newer LCD panels or will they be the same as those in the Sanyo?

If they are in fact a later generation, isn't it possible they may perform better than the ones used in the Sanyo?

But, if in fact, all they've done is fiddled with the 10HT and it really isn't that much better, then I think your criticism is well justified, particularly since you ARE a Sony dealer and have been so for a long time.

AJ, when you have an opportunity to get a really good look at the 11HT hope you'll share your impressions with all of us!

Infocomm should be a blast, too bad I can't go!

Dan

·
Banned
770 Posts
Well according to my Sony rep (although he's been wrong before)they are using the same glass as before. I hope they do something to address the contrast but I'm not expecting much. I'll let you know after Infocomm.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson from reading post on this forum. I first saw a Sony vw10 not properly set up and projected onto a painted wall in a bright room. So, when I read all of the extremely negative comments about black levels and screen door effect, I ruled out the Sony. But after seeing it properly set-up and using a gray screen, I see that I have to take comments here in perspective. I have come to realize that some of you are very much videophiles and A LOT more selective than I am. I understand because I am that way with audio. Had I just believed everything that I have read, I would have ruled out a nice projector. If the Sanyo turns out to be indeed better with the greater light output, I will buy one very soon. I think if Sony eliminates the dust blob problem that may also make the new unit worth considering. It does not look good for the new Sanyo with guys saying they are seeing dust blobs after only 30 minutes of use.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The 11HT is using entirely new LCD panels. The Sanyo is using 10HT LCD panels. It is only because Sony is coming out with the 11HT with new LCD panels that Sony decided to sell the 10HT panels to other companies, among them Sanyo.

The 11HT is not Sony's reaction to the Sanyo. Rather, the Sanyo would not exist if Sony had not come out with the 11HT and decided to then sell the 10HT panels to others.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, Ive read alot of your posts which some sorta got off subject but thats alright.. but Im not sure you understood my original question which is probably my fault. I did neglet the money thing.. What I'm curious about is, I know the 11ht hasnt even come out, but since there will certainly be a sorta big price difference in my mind, is it worth it for all that extra money to buy the 11HT instead of the 10HT? I have heard that the 10ht is a very nice projector with some flaws. I hope that sorta clears it up, and I will definately be waiting for it to be released before anything but Im just curious of your opinions. Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
I have heard that the 10ht is a very nice projector with some flaws
Hi Chris,

If that is what you are looking for, then you will definitely save yourself some money buying a 10HT, and IMHO, you really shouldn't look much further. The 11HT will still be a nice projector with some flaws...but for even more money.

If you want fewer flaws altogether, LCD is just plain the wrong technology. The DWIN, Seleco and Yamaha DLP and any D-ILA will produce noticably better images. As long as you are being reasonable with yourself, and know what the trade-offs are, it sounds like the 10HT is going to be your best option.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Well, just to offer an alternative point of view, the DLP might offer a better image (this is somewhat a matter of opinion, as the new LCD's offer a very good image) provided you aren't senstive to the rainbow effect - which you might not know until you've had the projector for several hours or days, in which case it might be too late. And if you are sensitive to the rainbow effect, a DLP becomes almost unwatchable. On the other hand, the DILA's I understand throw a nice picture. All you have to deal with is the heat, the noise, an external scaler, and maybe calibration, and paying twice or more what an LCD costs. So, I'm not so sure that an LCD "is just plain the wrong technology." There is no perfect technology, and each has its problems. Moreover, I submit that one could make a reasonable argument that, on a per dollar basis, LCD's are the best technology.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
ProjectorPeople, go to the thread the says Review of Sanyo PLV 60. On page two, you will see a review by Thumper and comments about another person also using the projector. Thumper said that after 2 hours of use, a large dust blob appeared. See, opinions are so varied about what is a good technology and which projectors are good that I find this forum to be of limited use. The bottom line is that you have to go out and look at the projectors yourself. One person will say that the Sony is great. Then another will say no, it and all lcd suck. Then someone will say, no buy a crt. Then another will say well what about the rainbow effect. Then finally someone will bring up screen door effect. This will leave a novice in an awkard position and make the section on the avsforum confusing until you get to see some of the stuff yourself and realize that a lot of it is nit picking by videophiles. Hey nick pick away that's what "philes" do. But those new to this forum should know what's going on.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
339 Posts
Robert,

Where have you heard that the 11HT will use entirely new panels? This seems to be a disputed point, with one camp saying that they will not change, and others saying they will.

I'm going on memory here, but it seems to me that the expected specs for the 11HT do not materially exceed the Sanyo in resolution, contrast ratio, etc. If Sony was using a new panel, should we not see a significant spec difference (on parameters that would be impacted by the panels) somewhere?

This is probably a big point for those who have the itch to buy the Sanyo. With Sony's decision to restrict the 11HT to CIS dealers, many of us will buy something different instead of paying list for this product. If Sony made a real significant advance in the LCD technology, then maybe it would make sense to buy the 11HT instead of the Sanyo.

------------------

Kerry

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.