AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for best buy and am about to purchase my first hdtv. It's a jvc 48" that I'm getting for a great price of course. anyway if I want to get it this week I have the money for the tv itself. Otherwise I could get the extended 4 year warranty for only $180 if i wait a couple weeks till i get the money. My question is do you think its worth an extra almost $200 for a tv that comes with a 1 year parts and labor so the $200 is really for 3 years? I need suggestions. I'm very impatient lol. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not.

If you have to buy an extended warranty for a big purchase item, then what does it say about the quality? Since you work for BB you know they make more money off the warranty than the sale of the product. And you also know how much the warranty is pushed to prove this.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so even for half the price I shouldn't get it? I mean like i'm afraid of burn in and stuff. Does the standard warranty cover that? I know i'll turn everything down and calibrate it so i'll minimize the chance anyway

·
Registered
191 Posts
GOP,

Resist is right....warranties are profit engines for the retailer.

Burn-in will not be covered by mfr. warranty or B.B. ext. warranty.

I bought ext. warranty on dlp just for peace of mind, but more importantly because the lamp is covered and if I have to replace that in those 4 yrs. I would have spent the cost of the warranty already.

Really, it's what you're comfortable with....without it, most people win, some people lose.....it's a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't trust best buy's warranty at all. I recently purchased a tv there and the salesman filled out a invoice for it and already put the $300 warranty on there without even asking me if i wanted it. I said i didn't want it and he tried his best to convice me to get it. He even told me that burn in and a whole bunch of other things were covered, and that the only thing not covered would be if i put something through the tv screen. I eventually caved in because of the burn in thing, but when i read their plan booklet (that they conveniently gave me with the receipt AFTER the sale) everything he told me was covered was not covered according to the booklet. I guess it's their policy to say whatever it will take to get the warranty sold. I went back the next day and canceled it and got my $300 back. I do not trust them at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reldudegop,

Do NOT listen to these guys. It sounds like they're perhaps meaning well, but have absolutely NO idea about what they're talking about save the one with the dlp.

First, any and every retailer is in business to make MONEY. DUH!!! This does NOT mean that what they're selling is crap. Best Buy has a great service plan. I know. I had to use it! Plus, it sounds like your cost for one is cheap, like don't they go for $299 for hdtv's? That's what I paid.

Their warranty/service is for 4 years from the date of manufacture. So, yes, technically the first year looks wasted. But, they'll cover during the first year, things the manufacturer will not like convergence issues.

Most importantly, if the guns go, any of them, to your JVC 48" after the first year, your best buy service WILL cover replacing one or all three, WHATEVER is needed to bring your projection back to factory specs. This is important. Think about your service plan as insurance. Few break down after the first year BUT, if your's is one of those that does, is it worth it to have extended coverage? For me, it is and was. It's a numbers game, just like service on your car. Some cars will run forever. Others may prove to be the exception. You have to weigh the cost to fix it without a warranty versus the $160 or $300 you paid to have it covered. I can tell you this, I have yet to find a projection tv that's less than $300 to fix for almost anything!

The argument that was suggested by another member being why pay so much for a warranty for a tv that's not that expensive is not a logical one unless the warranty was something like 25% of the set. Then, you'd again have to weight the cost/benefit.

Also, Best Buy's warranty is a pro-rated one, meaning if you kept it for 2 years and decided to cancel it, you'd get back 50% minus any cost of repair. If you had to fix it once, it will pay for itself.

Apparently, some people have been burned before with extended service plans/warranties so it's no wonder these guys are skeptical. In fairness, I can understand their resentment if that was the case. But, I know I don't want to be without one if my $4,000 set breaks down.

Nuff said

·
Registered
856 Posts
My point was that extended warranties are a money making business in itself. Stores always push them because they make the most profit off them. They USUALLY cover less than the manufactures warranty. Most people (not all), never have to use them. Some people tell you paying for an extended warrany is peace of mind. When in reality an extended warranty only pays off if your TV breaks. So basically you're paying for something to go wrong with it.

Nuff said

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
RelDude Extended warranties usually aren't good buys, but in this case it sounds like this is pretty reasonable, believe I would do it .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a couple comments relevant to BB extended warranties generally and the AV48WP30 specifically (I assume that's the model you plan to purchase).

First, in all the experiences my friends have had with Best Buy's extended warranties, BB has gone out of its way--including lying--to avoid coverage under the plan. And, in every instance, salespeople lied about the scope of coverage. In the most egregious example, my friend purchased an extended warranty for an expensive car CD changer/radio that BB sold to him and installed for him. When it stopped working a few months later, he took it back to get it fixed. The service department called him a week later, claimed that the radio had been damaged by water, which (conveniently) was not covered by the extended warranty, and then--here's the kicker--told him that he owed them $50 for reaching its conclusion.

Second, I got a great deal on the AV48WP30 from BB, and I took it back a week later. I heard really good things from owners here, and the HD loop looked really good at the store. Even after extensive tweaking attempts, though, the DVD and Xbox PQ (both via component) were at best OK and the PS2 (component and S-Video) and DirecTV (S-Video) PQ was absolutely pathetic. I was shocked and disappointed. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I'd figure I'd share my experience.

And, to tie it all together: When I bought the JVC, the BB salesman lied directly to my face about what coverage the warranty would provide. When I demanded to see the written terms of the warranty before buying it, and then pointed out the inconsistencies, he had the audacity to tell me that the terms were wrong.

Take all of this for what it's worth...the random thoughts of a complete stranger. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
In theory a 5 year warranty is worthwhile... if in fact it warrantied the set for 5 years it would almost definitely be worth it. However, most warranties have so many loopholes that it's easy to see how they make money on something which is represented to mitigate significant financial risk.

You MUST read the warranty text. Most people do not do this, and salespeople usually avoid letting them read it. Of the 5-6 times a salesman has tried to sell me one in the past year, not a single salesman was truthful about the terms and coverage of the policy.

Recently I had a CompUSA salesman, his manager and the store manager all at once promise me that if I dropped my new LCD screen out my 6th story window it would be covered on the warranty - then read to them from the warranty about "certain exclusions" and they STILL insisted that the warranty was "unlimited" and covered "anything". (The story actually got worse... but... anyhoo...)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I just purchased my first 5-year extended warranty, on the Tosh LCoS. I didn't have one on my previous Pioneer Elite but really wish I had after it started failing after about 2.5 years of use: unusual, yes.

IMHO, get one especially if you are going with one of these "early adopter" technologies.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Get the warranty, a purchase of this value and potential for issues down the road deserves additional protection for the purchaser.

As I've said before, I don't know when it became a crime for a business to make money?!? So what if a company makes money on it, do you think that companies other than the one you work for are all out there to do stuff for free?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Will be taking delivery of a 60 inch sony xbr 800 soon, can i purchase a phillips extended warranty from any 3rd party??? or does someone recommend anything else???? I am purchasing from a company that is like an agent so he does not offer anything but sony extended..please help and thanks in adevance!!

STEVE

:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
As I've said before, I don't know when it became a crime for a business to make money?!? So what if a company makes money on it, do you think that companies other than the one you work for are all out there to do stuff for free?
It's a crime when the salespeople commit fraud to sell it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.