Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that you can, and that you cannot do this:

- Record two things simultaneously, while playing something that is already recorded.

Can I or not? (I do have two SAT cables coming in from my dish...but haven't purchased HD stuff yet.)

I currently have a HDTV with a MyHD 120 card, and the WAF factor isn't cutting it. Last week I experienced a lockup of the app interrupting one recording; and several recordings that, for some reason, recorded half of the preceding show I wanted do record and half of what I want to record. My clock was set fine on the PC.

My wife says "I'm not impressed with your HD stuff.".

So, now, she's not too enthusiastic about spending $1K (she won't count the D* credit that I might get if I beg and plead for it.

I've been reading about a bunch of replacements needed; problems after software downloads; etc etc. That's all I need to experience if I go with this.

So...is anyone getting these things, plugging them in, and having them work?

I've been using an Ultimate TV for years and love it...but no HD. My expectations are that even if the Tivo unit works great, from a feature perspective, compared to the Ultimate TV, I'll be somewhat disappointed. That's based on how much I do like the UT, and reading posts by other UT users who are of course biased. But there will be no Ultimate TV for HD. It's going some time.

Talk me into it :) Or should I be patient for a few months for something less expensive or better?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewingr
I have read that you can, and that you cannot do this:

- Record two things simultaneously, while playing something that is already recorded.

Can I or not? (I do have two SAT cables coming in from my dish...but haven't purchased HD stuff yet.)Talk me into it :) Or should I be patient for a few months for something less expensive or better?
Yes you can record two different programs while watching a third previously recorded program. Something better is probably about a year or so away in my opinion. I have had one for a couple of months and love it and I have had the SD version since it came out in October 2000. I much prefer TiVo over UltimateTV but a small minority apparently preferred UltimateTV and you might be in that group.

Chris

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Shop around, you can get them for $899 now... Do you have the triple LNB dish installed already?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Not sure if you can get a deal on the dish also, if not, BB has them for $60... What dish do you have now?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I would really like one but the prices is deterring me. Seeing what the satellite companies are doing with the installations (basically giving you 5 rooms of equipment for nothing), it would seem that the HD Tivo price should be in for a fall as the competition for HD customers increases.

I am tired of being the early adopter who pays a huge price for something that quickly becomes very cheap. I will wait.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the dish in between, not sure what its called. but it's not round, but not the larger oval one I need. There are 2 LNBs feeding my Ultimate TV. Been in place for several years.

I too have been thinking I should wait on price...but am becoming anxious. Sigh.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I paid $699 for mine and it included a dish (Phase 3). I am a first time subscriber, though.

The kit to add a second hard drive is ~$15, and you can get new 250GB hard drives for $100 (I paid $50 for mine, but you have to follow the deal websites and move fast to get that low - at least until Thanksgiving comes around). So, for around a grand, you can get 50+ hours of HD recording, or 400+ hours of SD recording. On top of that, you get Tivo features, and with a few software "additions", you can access the box for archiving purposes. What's not to like?

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If it's a Phase II you can add the Sat C kit to it, I believe it's $8 bucks from D* and it's easy to install, no re-aiming...

It's a slightly oval dish with two LNB's and an external multiswitch, looks like there is space for a 3rd LNB in the middle...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just picked up an HR10-250 locally for $860. I was able to get the $250 programming credit by calling Directv's customer retention group. There's also a $50 rebate for DVR purchase. That brings it down to $560 :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ewingr, I've had the HR10-250 for a few weeks now, and have had no issues (knock on wood). It's a sweet box.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I love my HR10-250 so much that I am getting ready to buy another one. I bought mine thru ********************* which is a sponsor in this forum and one of the first to offer this unit. I supposedly was the first person to receive the unit from VE and activate it thru Directv. I added a 300 gig HD the next week after I received it. I get 70 hours and HD and 480 hours of SD. My SD looks better on this unit than it does on my standalone unit. I connect it to my plasma via DVI and it looks stunning. I never watched the Discovery Channel but I do now because of the picture quality along with HDNET.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm sold on getting the unit.

In fact, I downloaded a manual and read through it quickly, and the features on Ultimate TV that I was concerned about are there. (Back when I got it, UT had more capabilities than Tivo...but they've caught up.) The few things that it doen'st do are not show stoppers.

Now I just need to decide whether to wait a bit to see if it comes down or not. I doubt I'll wait long enough to make much difference.

I wonder if the Christmas season will show any price drops.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewingr
Now I just need to decide whether to wait a bit to see if it comes down or not. I doubt I'll wait long enough to make much difference.

I wonder if the Christmas season will show any price drops.
I would think there is a good chance you will see lower prices before year end. Supply has apparently just caught up with demand so the supply and demand basics will not continue to keep prices up. Since production costs have come down and competition is heating up for HDTV customers, my crystal ball sees a $650 price looming in your future. Then you will have to make a decision anticipating after Christmas sales. Early next year, the HR10-250 will be considered a soon to be discontinued model so you will know closeout pricing is coming in the not too distant future. Once the model is being closed out, you will need to wait and see if the next generation offers significant advantages. When the new model is out, the price will drop once supply meets demand.

Chris

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:rolleyes: Ain't that the truth.

The delimma of the early adapter. Decisions, decisions.

Option 1: Buy early; pay more; enjoy now

Option 2: Buy later; pay less; get more features; enjoy later.

If my crystal ball were better, it'd be easier to decide when to pull the trigger;)

Hmmm...is there any information out there on what upcoming versions of the unit will be...what features, etc?

·
UHD Addict
39,556 Posts
Go ahead and buy it now and enjoy it. I am thinking about getting a third unit if I replace my bedroom TV. It is well worth it if you enjoy watching HD.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
You will probably see a lower unit cost in the near future, but I doubt you will see the programming deals that are avaialable now later. The $62.50/mo for TCP is pretty sweet with the HD Tivo since you can, ahem, archive stuff for four months. After that, you get six more months (if you get the CSR to work the deal properly) of free HD pack. However, the 62.50/mo TCP ends at the end of October.

Later,

Bill

PS: Oh, yeah, it also includes NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, but I'm not really much of a football fan - too much armor. Now Aussie Rules - THAT'S more my speed... ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.